Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #1

Coolant Leak Issue

The water pipe broke last week during a night out and have the car towed to a shop. The shop changed two water pipe. According to the shop one pipe is cut from the friction between pipe and something and the other seems worn out. The shop also told me that he has put out all the air in the system and ask me to check the water level after the car cool down after I get home just to be sure.

After letting the car sit more than 12 hours I open the cap on the overflow tank to look. The moment I open the cap water start washing down from the bottom of the car (right hand side). I also notice the coolant is at the top of the overflow tank. Initial thought was the shop overfill the coolant so I close the cap and start the car to see what happen. About 3 minute or so the coolant is start leaking again and this time from the left side. Coolant low warning flashing now.

So it get tow back to the shop and two days later the shop called and say not able to reproduce the situation. Again I drove the car home and this time I am wonder should I open the cap.....The drive from shop to home (about 25KM) go without any issue on both time. Water temp look normal on both time as well. Also, the coolant leak out seems clean.

Any suggestion what happen? It drive fine so far but worry it might leak while I am in the middle of the road.

Boxster S 2001 Tip with 95K KM. New water pump in about a year and half ago.

KuaiThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #2

Garage
Burping the system is along process, my car had loose clamps at the bottom hoses going into the tunnel. Thought it was a water pump, leaking down at the bottom panels. Anyways, when I tightened up the clamps and checked all the connections, I refilled the coolant tank and followed the instructions I found here to purge the air by revving it up to 3000 rpms for 30 seconds or so, and then for short burst up to about 5000 rpms. You have to do this process several times to get all of it out. If you got air in the lines, this is the only way to get them out. Otherwise, when you opened the cap on a hot engine, the coolant overflows and air escapes through the cap and drains through the overflow tube. You'll see drips on the right side by the rear tire. Not sure why you are leaking on the left side though. Could be another leak at the oil cooler.

Keep checking it and enjoy.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Burping the system is along process, my car had loose clamps at the bottom hoses going into the tunnel. Thought it was a water pump, leaking down at the bottom panels. Anyways, when I tightened up the clamps and checked all the connections, I refilled the coolant tank and followed the instructions I found here to purge the air by revving it up to 3000 rpms for 30 seconds or so, and then for short burst up to about 5000 rpms. You have to do this process several times to get all of it out. If you got air in the lines, this is the only way to get them out. Otherwise, when you opened the cap on a hot engine, the coolant overflows and air escapes through the cap and drains through the overflow tube. You'll see drips on the right side by the rear tire. Not sure why you are leaking on the left side though. Could be another leak at the oil cooler.

Keep checking it and enjoy.
Thanks for the suggestion, I would try it out.
KuaiThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

Garage
No worries, be sure to pull the purge valve when you try this. Good luck.

Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant leak , water pipe broke