Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #1

plastic window sew in

I have to address my top, have a seperation between the plastic and fabric and was curious if any one has had a plastic sewn in. Does it leak have you had any issues going that route? I have contacted a auto upholstery shop and they said as long as the fabric is in good shape they can do this for 500. My fabric is in great shape and would like to keep original.

blvsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Lots of threads on this topic so please use the search function.

It's been done before and it doable with pros and cons. You can buy the whole top new for about $600 so if you are a hands on type of person you could replace it yourself for not much more with a better result. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

There is a Youtube on this . But the bloody fingers are the least of your issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7aS9NmAErA
IMHO this is only worth doing IF you do the tricky/nerdy thing of selecting the highest u.v.& flexibility spec of clear plastic & thread. Most don't so it cracks/yellows/unravels/leaks quickly. Hint go to a Marine upholstery shop for the vinyl. Thicker is not always better. Coatings are crucial to longevity
Then, how will you seal the needle holes that the Tenara thread makes - it does not swell when wet?
Then select the most effective cleaner/protectant endorsed by the vinyl brand you select.
Glass is so much simpler. especially in cold wet climates.
For hot,dry climates a clear vinyl with an integral sunscreen may(?) be a good idea?
http://www.vicarinternational.com/clearplastic01a.html

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-16-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

I would just buy a new top. It's not worth paying $500. when you can buy a new top for less than that with the plastic window. If you're handy or daring you can install it yourself like I did, it wasn't as bad as I thought but still somewhat difficult.