986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   omg what is this noise?! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6612)

oversteerdawg 06-28-2006 08:22 PM

omg what is this noise?!

i have a really loud howl coming from my fuel filler area. Anyone know what this might be? Fuel pump? It definitely sounds like some sort of bearing noise. It happens only when I'm stopped as far as I can tell. I can't really hear it when driving.

deliriousga 06-30-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oversteerdawg
i have a really loud howl coming from my fuel filler area. Anyone know what this might be? Fuel pump? It definitely sounds like some sort of bearing noise. It happens only when I'm stopped as far as I can tell. I can't really hear it when driving.

It sounds like the cooling fan bearings are wearing out on that side.

blinkwatt 06-30-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Does it happen at start up and stop as the car warms up?

oversteerdawg 07-01-2006 10:39 PM

after listening more carefully, it's actually a sucking sound.

blinkwatt 07-02-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

after listening more carefully, it's actually a sucking sound.

Almost like a high pitched vacuum?

986Jim 07-02-2006 05:06 AM

Try filling your car up with gas. Did the noise go away? Then it's the fuel pump. The pump is in the tank and is noisy and hot when the gas is low. The gas in the tank helps to cool the pump as well as keep it quiet. When the tank gets low you can hear it wine.

You should hear a Walbro 255LPH when the tank gets low, it's retarded sounding. (thats a high performance fuel pump for high hp cars 400+)

oversteerdawg 07-17-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Almost like a high pitched vacuum?

That's exactly what it sounded like. I replaced the fuel tank purge valve and the noise and CEL went away. I few days later, both the cel and noise is back. Anyone?

blinkwatt 07-17-2006 01:12 PM

I just got used to it. Although I think mine has to do with a part that warms up the exhaust system,I cant remember exactly what. It goes away as the car warms up after about 5 minutes or so and stays off as long as the car is warm.

oversteerdawg 07-17-2006 01:27 PM

There is a post on pelicanparts that suggests that it may be a leaking bleeder valve on the fuel filler (#12 in the pic)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...uel+tank+purge

Anyone try this fix before?

Perfectlap 07-17-2006 01:27 PM

is this the weezing sound that comes when you get on the throttle from a slow start or standing start? I've noticed that lately, I've been very bad about not letting my gas tank go below 1/4.

THe sound drives me nuts but I like the feel of the car when its light on fuel.
No kidding.

oversteerdawg 07-17-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
is this the weezing sound that comes when you get on the throttle from a slow start or standing start? I've noticed that lately, I've been very bad about not letting my gas tank go below 1/4.

THe sound drives me nuts but I like the feel of the car when its light on fuel.
No kidding.

It's exactly like blinkwatt says; a high pitched sucking noise coming right from the fuel filler area. It happens at any fuel level and temp. It goes away for a few seconds when i blip the throttle. It does not effect drivability, but it is driving me absolutely nuts.

Perfectlap 07-17-2006 01:49 PM

mine isn't coming from the gas cap area at all. Its coming from behind me near the the air intake. Same deal when I blip the throttle, weeze....