986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   help wih my boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6603)

boywonder 06-27-2006 09:13 PM

help wih my boxster

was noticing sometimes during start up it smoked white or oil then today not hard driving i looken in my mirror holy **************** what a cloud of smoke i think it was burning pure oil could see nothing behind me at all wow what a smoke screan its missed some then engin lite about 5 blinks when off then it died finly started it up got home towed it to a repair shop any ideals what up. the repair coast wil be its not a dealer but a place that cells and repairs boxsters so they know em welll but the ideal of the cost is killing me its a 2000 model with 77000 miles please help and some feed back is it messed up baddd????

986Jim 06-28-2006 04:00 AM

Hi Boywonder.

You need to be boygrammer because holy crap I really have a hard time understanding what all that is about. Something about a lot of smoke when you were on the gas and the CE light flashing a few times and going out?

The first thing you want to know is what the CE code was which they should be able to tell you. Second get them to look at stuff like the oil seperator and see if it's leaking oil back into the intake in massive quantaties.

Also was the oil blue like buring oil from and old car? Or really thick white like a fog machine? OR just kinda white like grey when people step floor their old **************** boxes and theres lots of carbon?

Blue is oil so something is leaking oil in to the combustion chamber, thick white is coolant so could be a head gasket, grey is running rich. Oil and coolant into the motor can also be a blown motor as well. Definately not good, could be serious.

Mantis 06-28-2006 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=986Jim]Hi Boywonder.

You need to be boygrammer because ....QUOTE]

LOL, oh you Canadians crack me up! Sorry BW

RandallNeighbour 06-28-2006 04:57 AM

Billowing white smoke could be your oil separator. But others here who said their oil separator went out didn't say they had a CE light. Do a forum thread search to find all sorts of info on this.

One way to check and see if it is indeed your oil separator is to simply relieve some of the pressure in your oil system... bring the car up to temp and get it good and blowing that smoke you're seeing. Then pull over, shut it off and loosen the oil cap and let some air get into the engine.

The oil separator separates the oil from the air and when this go out, they don't let enough air into the engine and oil burns off (from what my mechanic told me anyway).

If the smoking stops when you do this, it's the oil separator. This will also allow you to drive the car to a shop for repair instead of having it towed in. <-- more advice from my mechanic!

Brucelee 06-28-2006 05:22 AM

First, stop driving the car.

Second, go to competent mechanic.

Third, advise us what he found.

Good luck.