Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

orientation of SAI change over valve

ECL on: SAI codes: P0410 and P1411. Investigation shows failed change-over valve (stuck shut).
My failed valve was oriented upside down according to the schematics that show the vacuum source pointed down.
Does it matter ?
How mine was: vacuum source up:

Matching the schematic:

The schematic, vacuum source down.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #2

You have it the correct way around to ensure the valve operates properly
FYI there is a very similar part for Mercedes which is much cheaper in a previous Thread.
Part number is 000 140 77 60, $35 on Fleabay or the Genuine Mercedes part from RND for $44
http://store.rndeuroparts.com/catalog/SSF/catalog.aspx?SearchedText=0001407760

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-05-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The correct OEM orientation is with the vacuum chamber down, as in the diagram. It will work just fine in any orientation, though. You just need to make sure that it will fit and that the vacuum line will reach without obstruction.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

I just did the same job over the past weekend!

I oriented the vacuum chamber up, vacuum line was long enough to the solenoid, and works just fine. In retrospect, downward orientation would make it easier to access the hose clamp through the intake manifold runners to fine-tune the hose angle to the pump, without the little vacuum chamber nipple getting in the way.

In my case, elastomer diaphragms in the change over valve as well as the check valve were gooey and stuck shut, throwing the check engine light every a few days. I have not annoyed with the light for two days, hope it stays this way for months to come!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Mine was rusted badly on the vacuum side, preventing the valve from opening.
It's been 4 months since I fixed it and it's still working fine...no codes.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #6

Thanks 986 members

"I just did the same job over the weekend."

Ugh!

This was my third time in the last month.
First it was a visible broken line and a vaulty ICV (P0506). Replaced vacuum line and ICV and drove for 200 miles with clear codes and no CEL .
Then I replaced the electric change over valve, because it failed 2 weeks later.
Drove another 250 miles and then P0410 and P1411 returned.

Oh joy!

Went to the Pelican and ordered new vacuum chamber reservior, new change over valve, new check valves and new rubber hose connections. Luckily the air pump is working strong with no dying noises.

Word of advice:
You can be cheap, but what is your time worth ? Spend an extra hour or two checking all the components before you put it back together, or just replace them all at once. It's hot in that engine bay. Those plastic and rubber parts have had nearly 20 years to vulcanize.

The good news:
I've become very fast after three visits to the SAI system.