Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #1

For you Canadian drivers!

I have to have an E test and Safety done for licensing. Due to convenience (located near Service Ontario licensing office) and speed of process, I'm thinking to have it all done at Canadian Tire. The car just had a major service done by a Porsche auth center (2 months ago) and hasn't been really driven. You don't think they would mess up my car? They don't need to lift it for a safety do they?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

Is a Canadian test will be valid for licensing ?

At Canadian Tire, ask for their best technician.... also, make sure your in the garage when they perform work on the car and keep an eye on it..

Most C.T. have at least one reputable tech in the garage. Avoid night and week-end.

beside this, You should be fine !
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

They said their test is government accepted. That's a good point re: tech experience. I'll be there mid afternoon during the work week and will certainly watch it carefully.
For those who are not familiar with CT, they would be on par with a taking your vehicle to WalMart or Sears in the US .... (I think that's a fair comparison?). I had them do a AC compressor on an 8 year old Mazda ... that really stressed their technical ability (and it lasted about 4 months).
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Check around to see if any other dealerships can do the inspection, here in the island there Chevy dealership does them too. I would take anywhere but Canadian tire
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
I have to have an E test and Safety done for licensing. Due to convenience (located near Service Ontario licensing office) and speed of process, I'm thinking to have it all done at Canadian Tire. The car just had a major service done by a Porsche auth center (2 months ago) and hasn't been really driven. You don't think they would mess up my car? They don't need to lift it for a safety do they?
The e-test is pretty standard and only involves exhaust gases and some engine revving but the safety will involve checking the brakes and suspension so I suspect they will put the car on a lift and use an IMPACT WRENCH to remove and install your lug bolts. So tell them NOT to use the IMPACT WRENCH. These guys are infamous for over torquing and sometimes cross threading the lug bolts. Torque to 96 ft/lbs.

So, in closing, don't let them use an IMPACT WRENCH.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
B6T

^ Or not tightening the wheels at all, as they did with my buddies BMW.

Canadian Tire is the last place I'd bring my car for anything where they actually need to use tools. I would search for a smaller shop in your area, perhaps one that specializes in German cars.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #7

I'd take my car to Canadian tire for the e test without worry. The only thing they touch for that is your obd port. For the safety though I'd sooner take my car to the zoo and let a monkey remove and reinstall my wheels before I went to CT. Not saying every employee there is an idiot but I've seen and heard my fair share of horror stories.

Last edited by boxxster; 04-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

Okay ... good point about the impact gun - that was effective I'm storing the car in small town Ontario and looking to get the certification done so I can immediately plate it - I don't live near the car right now - hence the priority is timing, but not at the cost of risking something really aggravating happening to the vehicle. There are no German mechanics around (which is odd since they have a German hall!) ... I'll have to reassess.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

I actually spewed coffee when I read that you were even considering letting CanTi "techs" touch your Porsche. Good god, man... give your head a shake!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:32 AM   #10

E Test is a computer check connected to the OBDII. OBDI ( 88 89 944`s)is an exhaust test. Not too many shops do OBDI. CTC bad rep comes from them wanting to install CTC brand parts. Which are crap we know that. Re and re the wheels isn`t rocket science people. Get the safety done if it fails take it to the dealer.Sometimes a fail is as simple as a bulb. I would be more concerned about failing the E Test.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #11

Garage
I would try and avoid Canadian Tire (aka Crappy Tire). They employ kids who do not care much about what they are doing for minimum wage. Unless you think your car won't pass the E-Test then Crappy Tire kids are good to 'chat up' to get something to pass. LOL Seriously though, try to find another shop around that does the E-Test like Oil Changers - they tend to have a E-Test bay and the guy is certified there. All he does all day are E-Tests.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #12

Garage
Oil Changers do etests it's only done through the obd port and hooked up to the Ministry of Transportation computer so nothing alarming there even at Canadian Tire. As for the safety you can find maybe a VW dealer they also know Porsche cars as for impact on the wheels it's nothing to wory about after all it's only a car.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #13

Garage
I took mine to Crappy Tire last year for her e-test, just because of convenience. The Tech was an older guy and quite interested in the car. He wanted me to pull her into the bay myself and let me stay and help him - which just involved plugging and unplugging the device from the OBD port. If your check engine light isn't on and you haven't just cleared a code - then you should pass an Ontario E-test. Older cars that get the exhaust sniff test might not be so lucky.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #14

Well I did what Frank suggested: discovered a VW dealer in the same town (as CT -not the car), and they assured me their techs know how access the engine etc. I'm going right to Porsche AG's current owner. 50.00 bucks more is worth the peace of mind ... they'll also e-test it too ....

Last edited by pidj; 04-04-2017 at 08:59 AM.
pidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:44 AM   #15

Etest is one thing. Safety is another. I got my eyes to on my boxster done at crappie tire last summer.
But I wouldn't let them safety it. I know you're in a rush but I'd rather drive to mississauga from Acton or get caa and have it towed to hunter. Or tow it to Oakville and let mantis do the safety. I would have a Porsche tech look over my car rather than the best Mechanic on site who's probably never worked on one a day in their life...

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote