986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with motor mount replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65844)

Mr Flat Six 03-20-2017 10:19 AM

Help with motor mount replacement

Hey guys I have decided to install my motor mount while the weather is nice for the next few days. I jacked the car up and removed the plastic undertrays. I found the mount and the two passenger yoke to frame bolts/studs look easy to remove but the driver's side seem to be a real pain. The hose goes right over the middle and I'm trying to figure out how to get to these studs. How much can I manipulate that coolant hose? Can I loosen the engine clamp slightly to turn the hose? If I were to remove it will a lot of coolant come out? I'd rather not flush and refill the system right now. What has worked for you guys?

JayG 03-20-2017 10:22 AM

Do a search. There are threads with details on replacing the mount

Also look in the Pelican DIY section

Its not a hard DIY

Mr Flat Six 03-20-2017 10:28 AM

Thanks JayG. I have looked at many DIY including the Pelican one. A lot do this with the hoses removed. I just wanted to be careful before bending the hose so much.

Managed to get the studs out and now just working on the rest of it. It'll be fun putting it back in but at least its not actually hard as far as the steps.

Gilles 03-20-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six (Post 530864)
Thanks JayG. I have looked at many DIY including the Pelican one. A lot do this with the hoses removed. I just wanted to be careful before bending the hose so much.

If you already removed the center cover you will see the bracket that holds the two cooling hoses on the center tunnel, by removing this bracket you will be able to separate the hoses from each other and you will have enough space to remove the engine support.

Good luck

dsallean 03-20-2017 11:01 AM

Having just done this I found a long, ratcheting wrench helpful for getting to the top two bolts that attach the mount to the engine case.

Mr Flat Six 03-20-2017 11:35 AM

Well I successfully removed the mount. Any tips on how to separate the studs and bolts? Will finish tomorrow but figured I'd ask now. I'll probably need to remove the foam piece to put everything back in.

Mark_T 03-20-2017 07:03 PM

I would think that all this should be child's play for a guy with a handle like "Mr. Flat Six" :D

dghii 03-20-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six (Post 530872)
Well I successfully removed the mount. Any tips on how to separate the studs and bolts? Will finish tomorrow but figured I'd ask now. I'll probably need to remove the foam piece to put everything back in.

Don't bother to separate the studs and nuts...no need to. Just reinstall and tighten up. I've done 4 this way without issue.

Mr Flat Six 03-20-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 530938)
I would think that all this should be child's play for a guy with a handle like "Mr. Flat Six" :D

Haha well I thought it was a good handle plus my only other car is a flat six as well haha

Mr Flat Six 03-21-2017 09:41 AM

Okay so I need help with one more thing. I'm in the process of installing the motor mount back into the car. My old carrier assembly only used 3 bolts but this new one uses 4 bolts. The bolt is physically there but it is too short by about 1/4 inch. Would it be acceptable to install it without the top bolt until I can get one or would that just be stupid? Should I put this off for a few days or try my luck at Lowes and see if they or anybody else has the size I need? Anybody know the part number if I decide to order it online?

911monty 03-21-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six (Post 530969)
Okay so I need help with one more thing. I'm in the process of installing the motor mount back into the car. My old carrier assembly only used 3 bolts but this new one uses 4 bolts. The bolt is physically there but it is too short by about 1/4 inch. Would it be acceptable to install it without the top bolt until I can get one or would that just be stupid? Should I put this off for a few days or try my luck at Lowes and see if they or anybody else has the size I need? Anybody know the part number if I decide to order it online?

See paragraph #3 in the Pelican DIY. It discusses your situation. Apparently you have an early year 97-98 car?

Porsche Boxster Motor Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Mr Flat Six 03-21-2017 09:58 AM

I have a 1999 model and the 4th bolt is physically there but its just not long enough since I had the three bolt mount beforehand. I believe its the updated oil pump housing and can snap a few pics if needed. Would it be possible to leave this 4th bolt out temporarily or should I try to get a replacement bolt before installing?

911monty 03-21-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six (Post 530974)
I have a 1999 model and the 4th bolt is physically there but its just not long enough since I had the three bolt mount beforehand. I believe its the updated oil pump housing and can snap a few pics if needed. Would it be possible to leave this 4th bolt out temporarily or should I try to get a replacement bolt before installing?

Well that's interesting. The top 2 attachments should be studs and nuts, not bolts. Is the existing one that fits a stud and nut? If so see if you can remove the stud and find one at a hardware or Fastenall store.

Mr Flat Six 03-21-2017 10:20 AM

I am going to use the image from Pelican Parts to better explain. The bolt I am referencing is the top most bolt in this photo that the blue arrow is pointing towards. I physically have that bolt but it is too short to go through the mount and still thread into the hole. Sorry if I was explaining my situation incorrectly. If possible I was going to leave that upper bolt out but I don't know if that is smart and I don't want to cause damage. I'm also having trouble finding the bolt online to get another one.

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...small/Pic3.jpg

911monty 03-21-2017 10:36 AM

I guess since the previous mount withstood time with 3 bolts then this should be fine until you can get a replacement. I'd drive easy though. Do you have a Lowes etc nearby? If so take the bolt that fits and get a stainless metric M8 or M10 bolt of the proper length. I wouldn't worry about exact Porsche replacement for now as just about any Chinese bolt is going to be stronger than the soft aluminum cheese the engine is made from.

Mr Flat Six 03-21-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 530983)
I guess since the previous mount withstood time with 3 bolts then this should be fine until you can get a replacement. I'd drive easy though. Do you have a Lowes etc nearby? If so take the bolt that fits and get a stainless metric M8 or M10 bolt of the proper length. I wouldn't worry about exact Porsche replacement for now as just about any Chinese bolt is going to be stronger than the soft aluminum cheese the engine is made from.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably wait to finish up the job until I get the bolt. Hopefully I can find the part at one of the local hardware places.

Mr Flat Six 03-21-2017 12:55 PM

Just wanted to update this thread: I found a bolt that works (m10-1.5 x75) and will be installing the stud and nut as one piece since that has worked for other people and all mine came off together. Glad to be pretty much done with this. Looking back now it was really easy but it doesn't hurt to be too cautious and ask questions and ask for advice. Thanks everyone for the help!