Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 03:07 AM   #1

Garage
Groan/creak on rear left side

Hi everyone, this AM I noticed my car started making a groan/creaking sound at the rear left. I heard it while pulling into the parking lot at work and could reproduce the sound in much the same way as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODyQ6sS_0S8

My preliminary research makes me think that this could be a failing lower control arm bearing and to try and inject some moly grease into it but before I do this does anyone have advice for other causes? Possibly a leaky shock or bad springs? Thanks!

ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Garage
My 1997 base model with just over 230,000 miles was doing the same thing. I replaced the rear lower control arms and took it to my Indy (ProTech Motorsports, Greer, SC) for alignment. Not only is my car now quiet and better behaved, but I shaved 12 seconds off of my previous best lap time at a very recent PCA HPDE. I would start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #3

Garage
Groan/creak on rear left side

FWIW, you should replace them always in pairs. Remember that they usually all have the same mileage. Grease may help cure the noise but a worn wishbone results in poor handling.

Last edited by cheese; 03-15-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

that is a very familiar sound... my 2001 boxster s was making the exact same sound from the left front. The lower control arm bushing was shot. Some have injected grease; that seems to work for a few months. In my case the rubber boot around the bushing was torn. I had both lower control arms replaced at $500 per side parts and labor at my local indie shop. If you're thinking DIY, shop carefully - I found prices online varied from just over $100 to over $600 per arm.
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did the same as you stantheman1. Bought a grease gun and injected some grease into the rubber bushing. I had initially replaced the R side lower control arm when getting an alignment (at the time, there was a tear in that rubber but no noise). The indy shop was really nice about it; they charged me half an hour labor and I had bought a Myle (I think) unit that they put into the car at no extra cost. I'll see how long the driver side one lasts (the rubber wasn't torn but one or two injections w/ 18ga needle may have put a few small holes in it). Ultimately, I guess I will have to order another lower control arm but I'm curious if I should just get both shocks in the rear done then too.
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
FWIW, you should replace them always in pairs. Remember that they usually all have the same mileage. Grease may help cure the noise but a worn wishbone results in poor handling.

Always in pairs at the very least. Remember they all have the same mileage. In my experience, it is a pro active idea to change all 4 lcr's and have a look for anything else that may be worn, loose, or bent.