Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

GT-4 Test Drive

I had an opportunity to test drive a friends GT-4 yesterday!

First and foremost, let me say that this is an impressive car and there is a lot to like!

First, the car looks bad ass. I've never been a big fan of 20" wheels so to my eye they look a bit LARGE in proportion to the rest of the car, but those wheels do a great job of showing off the enormous PCCB carbon brakes (which did squeal a bit). The ride height is perfect for a sporty look without looking like the car is slammed to the pavement.

The carbon fiber framed sports seats were some of the best Porsche seats that I have ever experienced finding a perfect middle ground between a racing seat and a stock seat. And I could see out the rear reasonably well even with the rear wing.

The handling was simply outstanding, well beyond that of a stock 986 and probably on a par with a Spec Boxster though there was no way to test to that limit on the street.

The fit and finish was superb. The entire car gave a feeling of being solid, high quality, and expensive.

On the downside, I found the cockpit to be extremely busy with far too many displays, knobs, switches, and controls. This is probably more of a criticism of all new Porsche's (and new cars in general) than a critique of the GT-4 itself but, IMHO, a sports-minded car should seek to minimize the distractions so the driver can focus on the driving experience.

The engine felt strong but not as strong as I was expecting. The GT-4's 385hp didn't feel that much faster than a 300hp 3.4 996. This was confirmed later when I checked the spec's and found that both cars are in the 4 sec range to 60mph (with the 996 near the upper end and the GT-4 near the lower end.)

With that being said, 350hp is about all I find to be of real use on the street, so the GT-4 has all of the power needed to end up in jail in 3rd gear.

Last, I disliked the auto-blip function since it forced me to learn to move/act in synch with the computer rather than having the car work with me. Not a big deal and I'm sure that I could adjust with a little more time in the car.

In terms of price, that old rule applies: If you have to ask...

Though GT-4's have a starting price of $85K, it was not surprising that this car's sticker was >$100,000. The problem is at $100k, there are a surprising number of alternatives - especially if you consider used cars. At $100K, you could be driving a (used) supercar or exotic.

Your thoughts?

(file photo - owner didn't want pics on the internet)

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-03-2017 at 03:24 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

They are a beautiful car, I have seen several of them at the track, but I have never sat in one, I am jealous!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #3

I'm betting they don't have speed bumps near where the owner lives.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing. My thoughts are that I really like it and want one but am unwilling or unable (or probably both) to put that much money into a car!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
I am No. 1348

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I'm betting they don't have speed bumps near where the owner lives.
I thought I read somewhere the GT's had adjustable electric front shocks from the cockpit for speedbumps and driveways???

Am I wrong on that?

It's an amazing car.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the GT-4. They are good looking in person.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

i hear they come with golf tees ...

you place your balls on them when you drive! bahahahahahahahaha!

nice cars - not as rare as folks would ahve you think - four at my last track seesion (only one of them driven well mind you - rest were 'arrivers' trying to stay alive). local porsche dealer told me he sold 15 of them - edmonton only has a population of 900k. what i like about them is that they are what i would make if papa ferdinand ing asked me to design a car.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote