986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spring Checklist - Help! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65614)

DrCactus 03-02-2017 12:31 PM

Spring Checklist - Help!

Hey folks, I just wanted to touch base to get an idea from everyone what their top 10 Spring things to check would be when taking their car back out from winter storage....

Thanks very much everyone as always... Happy 2017 Season !! :dance:

pomerlo 03-02-2017 03:43 PM

Looking forward to also get the Boxster out of the barn pretty soon.... :dance:

Here is my checklist .... shorter than the one I used for storage last fall tough.

- If the battery wasn't charged for the whole winter, give it a charge.
- Remove the car cover without sliding it over the paint.... accumulated dust can scratch.
- Check oil and coolant level ... any sign of leak underneath ?
- Check if tires air pressure is OK.
- Install the battery
- Start the engine without revving it .... let it warm up for 5 min.

If applies, get home and wash the car in and out ..... might be good to also clay and wax.
I also like to use the pressure washer with the curved wan and wash underneath the car to remove dust.

mikefocke 03-02-2017 04:48 PM

Brake fluid level check
Recall when last oil change done (should be before hybernation).
Drive gently for the first 5 miles as lubrication needs to circulate in the transmission and drive train too. Plus you need to grind off any surface rust on the rotors with easy stops before you need to STOP RIGHT NOW.

Bald Eagle 03-03-2017 05:46 AM

All of the above plus... DO THE HAPPY IT'S SPRING DANCE to celebrate that you finally have your beloved Boxster back on the road!!! Some fanatics adorn themselves for this dance with body paint and bells attached to the ankles to keep away all the IMS, AOS, RMS and jiggly suspension demons.

I'm practicing my dancing steps now to get in shape for the first day it's warm enough to put down the top after it comes out of storage.

Larry (the bald eagle)

Ciao 03-03-2017 11:32 AM

roll down a slight hill, just to circulate the cylinders, key off using 5th gear to get oil in cylinders then crank engine

Anker 03-03-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 528982)
roll down a slight hill, just to circulate the cylinders, key off using 5th gear to get oil in cylinders then crank engine

And how do you get it there?

Ciao 03-03-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 528992)
And how do you get it there?

Roll it out of your garage.

DWBOX2000 03-03-2017 05:40 PM

Great year here in boston this winter. A couple of snow storms but overall really dry.
Car might have sat for a month but I've been driving a lot this winter.

I typically try to drive once a month as long as the salt is mostly gone and everything is dry.

paulofto 03-04-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 528982)

This is the Manitoba, the closest 'slight hill' is in Alberta.

Ciao 03-04-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 529058)
This is the Manitoba, the closest 'slight hill' is in Alberta.

you have my sympathies; If you have friends, perhaps a tug or a push from your friends, (clutch depressed) for a few yards then release clutch might be useful.

pomerlo 03-04-2017 07:52 PM

Ciao : I dont get the point.. how turning an engine using the powertrain would be safer than using normal explosion in combustion chamber ? I even think that warming up the engine as soon as possible would even be better ?

Ciao 03-05-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomerlo (Post 529170)
Ciao : I dont get the point.. how turning an engine using the powertrain would be safer than using normal explosion in combustion chamber ? I even think that warming up the engine as soon as possible would even be better ?

The point is simply that it is an option to circulate oil in the cylinders before firing up an engine that has been stored for months with dry cylinders.The point is not about safety as much as it is about best practices in taking a Boxster out of a long winter storage. Warming up the engine is always suggested year-round.

Slate 01 03-06-2017 03:44 AM

Since I live in California, my spring checklist is as follows:

-Apply another coat of Zaino Bros. to finish
-Put top down
-Fill with gas
-Drive it like I have been doing all winter (or better described as a slightly cooler time of year
:dance:

paulofto 03-06-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slate 01 (Post 529247)
Since I live in California, my spring checklist is as follows:

-Apply another coat of Zaino Bros. to finish
-Put top down
-Fill with gas
-Drive it like I have been doing all winter (or better described as a slightly cooler time of year
:dance:

Please don't rub it in. We will have a high today of maybe 8C or about 46F but it is expected to drop and by Thursday it will be -16C or 3F. With snow over the next day or so. Throw in all the sand, salt & dirt from the last 4 months and it is not fit for man nor Boxster.

DrCactus 03-06-2017 09:57 AM

Yeah I know what you mean Paulofto... it was -30C here in Ottawa this past weekend.

Does anyone know how long one should drive the car to make sure the battery gets a 100% charge on it... installing it after a long winter (even after manual charge) doesn't always put full charge on the battery.... how long would I need to drive the car to ensure 100% charge ?

Anker 03-06-2017 10:07 AM

DrCactus. Put a battery maintainer on the battery when it is out of the car during storage. Letting it sit and discharge ruins it.

Porsche9 03-06-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 529277)
Please don't rub it in. We will have a high today of maybe 8C or about 46F but it is expected to drop and by Thursday it will be -16C or 3F. With snow over the next day or so. Throw in all the sand, salt & dirt from the last 4 months and it is not fit for man nor Boxster.

I was in Winnipeg the other week when things got a little warm. Add some rain to melt the snow and things were a mess. Brutal on cars. If I'd live there I'd have to have an appropriate winter beater and I'd have serious Porsche withdrawals.

Come visit Arizona anytime!

paulofto 03-06-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 529303)
I was in Winnipeg the other week when things got a little warm. Add some rain to melt the snow and things were a mess. Brutal on cars. If I'd live there I'd have to have an appropriate winter beater and I'd have serious Porsche withdrawals.

Come visit Arizona anytime!

Okay, many Winnipegers head down to the Phoenix area in mid winter to defrost. What the heck were you doing up here in the Great White North, in the cold and dark, by choice?

My Boxster goes to bed in October and sleeps till late March or early April.
I wish I could do the same thing.

BTW, my sister had a trailer in a park in Mesa for 6 years. Health issues have forced her to sell but her and my Bro-in-law loved it down there spending close to 6 months a year.

DrCactus 03-07-2017 07:12 AM

@ Anker - I just ordered the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. 12v .75A Charger

https://fortnine.ca/en/battery-tender-junior-charger

I hope this is good one to use!

p3230 03-07-2017 09:59 AM

Eh Scott don't be in a hurry to take it out, with all the snow we had this winter I think we'll be in snow till mid April. I'm going golfing in Pennsylvania on April the 9th and coming back on the 14th and then I'll take her out. I have an appointment on the 18th at the dealer to get the oil changed and I'll get the transmission oil done as well.