986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ALL info/help GREATLY appreciated! - Student (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65516)

Neal 02-23-2017 07:12 PM

ALL info/help GREATLY appreciated! - Student

Hey guys I'm in the market for a porsche boxster.
I've done some research and have gotten multiple different answers for a set of specific questions so needed some concrete answers before going on a hunt for 1.

First of all guys I would like to mention straight off the bat that I am not a very technical person and don't know much about cars at all but what I do know is I simply want a porsche boxster hands down so hopefully ya'll can help me go ahead and make the right purchase : )

1) I have read a-lot about the porsche boxster IMS bearing issue but what I haven't found conclusive proof on is weather or not the 2009 version has the MIF issue or not. Some people have said it has a diff engine so no IMS bearing issue and others have said that only HALF of the 2009 boxster models have the newer engine without the IMS issue while the other half of 2009 has IMS issue. Some strong info with proof would be greatly appreciated here to clarify it for me.

2) If I do go ahead & purchase the 2009 or 2010 boxster I had a question regarding the interior of it. I have watched many youtube video's which suggested the difference between the porsche boxster and the 's' version of it which stated 1 fact that the porsche boxster had cheaply made interior like the plastic dashboard especially for the earlier versions compared to the 's' version of the boxster which isn't cheaply made.
- Is this true? If so, is this the same for the 2009 or 2010 models of the boxster vs boxster s?

3) Like I stated above guys it's going to be my first porsche and I don't know much about cars but there is this one picture of a porsche boxster I saw a long time ago which made me want the car ever since and I was wondering what mod's have made this porsche boxster look the way it looks in the exterior? Is this a boxster? boxster s? what year is this? what mods does it have? how much would it cost approx to make my future boxster look like this?
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

4) From which city/state/dealer would I approximately get the best deal for a porsche boxster?

5) Best 5 web sites for used porsche boxter?

6) Is buying from a used car dealer safer as in do dealer's go through the car and fix it's issues before posting it for sale?

7) From your experience and knowledge what is the CHEAPEST approx I can get a 2009/2010 boxster for with less then 100k miles on it?

The reason I am leaning towards the 2009/2010 boxster is because I have 0 knowledge about cars and I just don't want to deal with big engine issues like the IMS bearing issue because if I ever get it then I will be stuck.

Any extra information you can provide me with a porsche boxster purchase is greatly greatly appreciated as I am completely new to cars period.

I am a medical student & wanted a used porsche boxster to sort of reward/gift myself if I can manage to get 1 in my budget because medical student's go through hell of large debt's.

If ya'll can help a student out with as much information as possible it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone! :)

Luccia at Pelican Parts 02-24-2017 07:25 AM

Welcome to the 986 community, Neal. If you want to read up on some common repairs or fixes for the 986/987 we have some great articles below:

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

Otherwise, you've come to the right place and I'm sure some of our community members will chime in with some great advice for you. If you ever have any forum or parts questions please do not hesitate to let me know as I am here to help. Enjoy your time here. :)

Ciao 02-24-2017 07:34 AM

I would not discount the earlier model Boxsters 99-2003ish. As you stated there is no compelling proof of IMS bearing failures. Find a well maintained Boxster regardless of year and it will last as long as you want it. Regardless of year, basic maintenance or lack of will determine whether or not you have mechanical issues.

Good Luck!

JayG 02-24-2017 07:43 AM

MIF Bearing???

Want low cost maintenance? Get a Miata

Neal 02-24-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts (Post 528185)
Welcome to the 986 community, Neal. If you want to read up on some common repairs or fixes for the 986/987 we have some great articles below:

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

Otherwise, you've come to the right place and I'm sure some of our community members will chime in with some great advice for you. If you ever have any forum or parts questions please do not hesitate to let me know as I am here to help. Enjoy your time here. :)

Thanks! Just wondering if im looking for a long no maintenance porsche except from the "usual" should i be looking for 2009+ or 2010+?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 528187)
I would not discount the earlier model Boxsters 99-2003ish. As you stated there is no compelling proof of IMS bearing failures. Find a well maintained Boxster regardless of year and it will last as long as you want it. Regardless of year, basic maintenance or lack of will determine whether or not you have mechanical issues.

Good Luck!

So the 2004-2008 are worse for the IMS?
Also, do all the 2009+ boxter's have a different engine so no IMS issue or only some 2009 like late 2009+?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 528188)
MIF Bearing???

IMS sorry, edited it.
Not interested in the Miata and because i wanted low maintenance costs I was thinking about initially spending more to get the model's that dont have the IMS issue but sadly I don't know exactly which years that would be.

steved0x 02-24-2017 08:26 AM

2009 Base Boxsters and Caymans - no IMS and no direct fuel injection
2009 S model Boxsters and Caymans- no IMS but with DFI

I myself have a 2000 S which I feel is the best model :)

husker boxster 02-24-2017 08:40 AM

All 2009 and newer Porsches have engine without an IMS. I think you have the MIF confused with DFI - direct fuel injection. S models have DFI, base models do not.

Base models do not have a cheaper interior, just different queues to identify it vs an S interior. The main difference between an S and base interior is the gauge faces are silver on an S and black on a base. The rest of the interior is subject to how the purchaser ordered the car, so you could have a Spartan S interior and an opulent base interior - it just depends how it was optioned.

You don't state where you're located, so it's hard to recommend a place to buy. If you're in SoCal, you could find many options on Craigslist. If you're in Montana, you may have to look on AutoTrader and have a wide search sphere. Since you are not a car guru (nothing wrong with that), when you find a car that you're interested in, have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done. This will cost $300-$500, but will allow an expert to look over the car and determine if it's in good shape. Since a PPI is not cheap, you only want to do them on serious candidates.

2009 and 2010 Boxsters are starting to hit the mid-$20K mark. They'll have a few miles on them, but these particular years are fairly low maintenance and should last well over 100K mi.

I hope your dreams come true and you're able to purchase a Boxster. They make an excellent reward.

The Radium King 02-24-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 528188)

sorry about that guy - most folks here are, uh, nicer.

this is a 986 forum, where the 986 designates cars from 1999 to 2004.

2005 to 2008 is called the 987.1, and 2009 to 2011 is the 987.2. better info on the 987 models can be found on the planet 9 forum. as steve states, Porsche stopped using the ims in 2009 (the big reason for the change in designation from .1 to .2).

I can't comment on interior finish - I suggest you sit in the car and make that call yourself. the general rule of thumb with buying porsches is to spend as much as you can afford - Porsche tends to improve the cars on a yearly basis so younger = better = more expensive (folks will argue this; some like the 986 styling better than the 987, some say the 986 is simpler = lighter = better track car, etc.). also, while these cars depreciate something fierce and can be found for small money, maintenance costs are HIGH so a cheap car at the start is often a big whack to the wallet once you start operating it.

Luccia at Pelican Parts 02-24-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 528189)
Thanks! Just wondering if im looking for a long no maintenance porsche except from the "usual" should i be looking for 2009+ or 2010+?

Anytime. If you want to read an in-depth article about the IMS bearing issue and what options are out there take a peek here: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06).

Before you purchase I do recommend getting a PPI done so that you know what may or may not be a problem area with it. As far as a long no maintenance, it just depends. Find something that was well maintained and continue to maintain it well. The 2009+ will be IMS free, so if that is a concern then I'd go for that year.

Here are some threads that might be useful to you:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/65219-2006-2008-opinions-please.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/64688-cost-ownership.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/64057-986-987-upgrade-need-advice.html

bwdz 02-24-2017 10:03 AM

One recommendation you will always hear is get the newest and best P car you can afford. If you can get a 2009 or newer you will be getting a great car. Our first gen are great cars but due to age require much more maintenance so are best for those of us who perform our own repairs or else they end up costing as much as a newer one.

paulofto 02-24-2017 10:14 AM

If you get a pre 2005 986 bake in the price of an IMS replacement if it hasn't already been addressed since many, many have been done. If you get a 2005 to 2008 987 prepare to pay more but remember the IMS can still be an issue and the replacement is a whole other can of worms. If you get a 2009 or later 987 prepare to pay even more but you will have no IMS issues.

But keep this in mind: Any car, Porsche perhaps more than others, requires vigilant preventative maintenance. The older it is the more may need to be done. An IMS failure is not the only thing that needs consideration when assessing a used Porsche. Don't let the IMS issue blind you from the dozens of other concerns you should take into account. So from that perspective a PPI from an honest reputable mechanic who understands M96 and M97 engines is important. $300 to $400 spent upfront may well be worth it.

Cbonilla 02-24-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Good Luck!

I would disagree with this assesment. Having just gone through an IMS failure at 100k miles in an '03 Boxster S, the risk is real if you don't upgrade the bearing. Reports are that similar vintages experience ~8% failure rate. And don't buy into the "if it was OK at 30k it'll be fine until 230k" adage, it's just not true.

Conventional wisdom seems to be to ignore the factory recomendations on oil changes and do them every 5-6k. And if you don't want to file bankruptcy from going to the dealer for oil changes, buy your own filters, crush washers and oil. I even take mine to a nearby Jiffy Lube (gasps of horror from other forrum users). I watch them do it, and take the oil filter home in a tupperware container for later analysis.

Re: Oil filter analysis. I do this but I'm increasingly dubious of the value. After all, once you find metal shavings in the oil the engine is likely full of metal debris and is headed for an expensive rebuild (unless you take this as a signal to trade or sell the car). My filter was cut open by my indie shop (I had them change the oil as it was in for other work) and pronounced clear at 93k. Failure at 100k.

JFP in PA 02-24-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

As you stated there is no compelling proof of IMS bearing failures.

Say what? No compelling proof of IMS bearing failures? Gee, I guess I must have been dreaming..........

http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploa...1231775002.jpg
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/...casedamage.jpg
http://www.evansautocare.com/wp-cont...o-Care-2.jpeg"

Ciao 02-24-2017 12:06 PM

Narrative was not communicated clearly. There is proof of IMS failures, but scientifically what causes the failures have not been shown. Basic maintenance has shown many original IMS still exists in Porches driven with several tens of thousands of miles

The Radium King 02-24-2017 12:25 PM

oh noes! the newbie thread death spiral!

it goes like this:

- newbie posts that they want to buy a boxster (or, often, a boxter) but have read about this ims thing and are a little concerned.

- resident tough guys tell newbie to either (a) buy a (insert favourite brand of Japanese car here) if they are worried about repair costs, or (b) use the search function as this has been asked a million times before. tough guys get to add more posts to their post count without even breaking a sweat (they can just cut and paste their last response to a newbie).

- helpful person tells them not to worry about the ims and just enjoy the car. typically helpful person has not experienced an ims failure.

- person who has experienced an ims failure, or is just a chronic worrier, responds that ims failure is real, quotes class action lawsuits, tales of woe they have personally experienced or read on the internet, etc.

- thread deteriorates into three to five pages of whether the ims fails or not, how often, on what years of cars, why it fails, how to prevent it, who's solution is better that the other guys, patents, testing, replacement ims failure rates, oil weight and change interval, driving habits, other failure modes to worry about even if the ims is replaced, etc etc etc.

- newbie gives up and buys a (insert favourite brand of Japanese car here).

conclusion? newbies should not be allowed to mention ims in their first 50 posts - it's like fentanyl around here (thought that i'd throw that in for the med student).

ps i'm joking.

JayG 02-24-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 528198)
sorry about that guy - most folks here are, uh, nicer.

this is a 986 forum, where the 986 designates cars from 1999 to 2004.

2005 to 2008 is called the 987.1, and 2009 to 2011 is the 987.2. better info on the 987 models can be found on the planet 9 forum. as steve states, Porsche stopped using the ims in 2009 (the big reason for the change in designation from .1 to .2).

I can't comment on interior finish - I suggest you sit in the car and make that call yourself. the general rule of thumb with buying porsches is to spend as much as you can afford - Porsche tends to improve the cars on a yearly basis so younger = better = more expensive (folks will argue this; some like the 986 styling better than the 987, some say the 986 is simpler = lighter = better track car, etc.). also, while these cars depreciate something fierce and can be found for small money, maintenance costs are HIGH so a cheap car at the start is often a big whack to the wallet once you start operating it.

Hey lighten up RK

Low maintenance and Porsche do not go together

JFP in PA 02-24-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 528219)
Narrative was not communicated clearly. There is proof of IMS failures, but scientifically what causes the failures have not been shown. Basic maintenance has shown many original IMS still exists in Porches driven with several tens of thousands of miles

And time and again, history has shown that IMS failures occur at 10K miles, 50K miles, and 100K miles in even well maintained cars. Putting your head in the sand and pretending it won't happen to you is not the answer.

Ciao 02-24-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 528223)
And time and again, history has shown that IMS failures occur at 10K miles, 50K miles, and 100K miles in even well maintained cars. Putting your head in the sand and pretending it won't happen to you is not the answer.

I never said it would never happen. Certainly there will be many other failures that precede an IMS failure e.g. AOS for instance. If there is proof that IMS failures occur at every 10,50,or 100K then you've solved everyone's guess as to when an IMS failure will occur or is this an alternate fact?

Pdwight 02-24-2017 07:01 PM

Truth ...words of empirical wisdom

thstone 02-24-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 528222)

My older son is also a med student and was looking for a cool reliable performance car.

He bought a BMW E36 M3. :)