Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Base Boxster vs. E46 330i ?

A friend asked me today, "How do you think the base Boxster compares against the E46 330ci in terms of a real-world sporty car?"

How would you respond?

sugarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

I have had both and I wouldn't put them in the same class. The e46 is a nice car and definitely more utilitarian, but no comparison in handling and smile factor, IMO. I also had an e46 m3. I would compare it with a 911 but not a 986

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #3

Garage
I happen to have both as my daily drivers, 02 330ci and 99 Boxster. The red car is my 85 635csi that is up for sale as I rarely drive it since buying the Boxster.

They are both fun but different. The 330ci is a larger, heavier and more comfortable car. HP is just a little more than the Boxster, but power comes on differently. The straight six has more low end grunt and nice smooth power. Although at 225 HP, it is not very quick by today's standards. It is also an automatic. With it you have more engine sound than exhaust. It handles great and has all the comforts I desire.

The Boxster is smaller and lighter. The engine does not have the low end torque of the BMW, but goes nicely if you wind it up. You hear less of the engine at lower revs and more of the sweet exhaust note. Of course the engine gets louder as you increase the revs. Not near as roomy inside but still comfortable. Both cars have similar features, traction control, antilock brakes... My Boxster is a 5 speed.

The Boxster is much more fun around town. I think the gearing is perfect for city traffic and just having fun. And I sometimes drive it as far as 5 hours in a day depending on where I need to go.

The 330ci is more comfortable for going longer distances and not as fun around town. It is still a sweet car to drive, just does not have that zippy factor.

I try to drive the Boxster at least 2 days a week and the 330ci the other 3. But, I mix that up depending on the weather or just a desire to drive one or the other. Both were cheap, $4750 for the 330ci and $4700 for the Boxster. Both needed a little work when I bought them, but that is expected with cheaper cars. They are not perfect, but in pretty nice shape. I consider myself lucky in regard to what I get to drive every day!

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #4

If you are going to compare the Box to a Bimmer then I would say compare it to a Z3 or Z4 and not to a 4 seat sedan missing 2 doors.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

both good cars, but hard to compare. I think an E46 is just about perfect for a daily driver, whereas the boxster is a good weekend car (the e46 is boring from a truly sporty driving experience, at least in stock form).

I have a 2000 BMW 328i and a boxster, so I clearly like both. I think the E46 is built better and with some (ok a good bit) of maintenance, they last forever.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

I also have an E46 BMW and a Boxster S. The two cars are very difficult to compare as they were built to serve different purposes. The E46 is my daily driver and performs masterfully, it is rocksolid and perfect for the daily grind of commuting to work, dropping off the kids, and traveling. The E46 also provides a smile with the torque of the inline-6 (I have the 2.5 liter 325i) and the incredibley smooth manual gearbox.
The Boxster S, on the other hand, is an entirely different car and experience. The Boxster is a raw open-top sports car (especially the 986) that stirs emotions I didn't know existed until driving the Boxster, with the top down through open country rodes and twisties. I've always been a "car guy" and I've owned several sports cars through the years and in my opinion none compare to the Boxster driving experience.

Just for fun here's a pic of my E46:

GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Garage
It is interesting how the driving experience of the two cars is perceived. I agree, I get more smiles from driving my Boxster than I would say I do in the 330ci. But I can't really say why. Is it because the Boxster is lower, the more nimble feel? Has BMW just smoothed off the rough edges of the 330ci to where you don't notice them while the Boxster is more raw? The 330ci has the same basic chassis other e46s, with a little more powerful engine and larger brakes.

I was a little surprised by the performance specs of the two. The 330ci is quicker to 60 than either a 2.5 or 2.7 boxster. 5.9sec vs 6.5 for the 2.7 Boxster. And the skid pad data is close, .89g for the BMW and .92g for the Boxster. The 330ci is 450lb heavier. I wonder how they might compare on various road courses? Would the Boxster win regardless or would the BMW prevail on less twisty tracks?

Comparing an S to an M3 is probably not quite fair as the M3 has almost 25% more HP at 333. I am curious if driving an M3 offers the same smiles as a Boxster?

I consider the 330ci coupe to be a "sporty" car. Much as I do a Mustang, Camaro, RX8..... It looks good, is reasonably powerful and has great handling. But, to each his own.
ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #8

I think it depends on the car. I've driven a 3 series race car that makes my S feel like a big soft limo with absolutely bad brakes and no power.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #9

Fact is, the BMW is just so common place now days. Stand on a street corner and you will see dozens go by. But how many Porsches will you see?

That exclusivity you get with the Porsche adds to the experience. It draws stares and smiles from passersby....it elevates the feeling you won't get in a common place BMW, making the Porsche simply "feel" better.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
But how many Porsches will you see?
Depends where you live. Where i live minimum 5 a day. 2 in the garage and approx. 3 on the streets on a 10 mile ride. And if i drive to Bietigheim or Stuttgart, i'll see much more. Porsches everywhere. So, to me a pretty common car.

Regards, Markus
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Depends where you live. Where i live minimum 5 a day. 2 in the garage and approx. 3 on the streets on a 10 mile ride. And if i drive to Bietigheim or Stuttgart, i'll see much more. Porsches everywhere. So, to me a pretty common car.

Regards, Markus
So what you are saying is in Germany, where they make theses things....the Germans prefer Porches over the boring old BMW. Proves the point, the Porsche is better! Good call Markus.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:11 AM   #12

Well if you life in Germany, maybe it depends where you live.

If you life near Stuttgart or the Baden Württemberg area, people maybe prefer Mercedes and Porsche. If you life near Leipzig, people maybe prefer Porsche. If you life near Wolfsburg, people maybe prefer Volkswagen. If you life you life near Neckarsulm or Ingolstadt, people maybe prefer Audi. If you life near Köln, people maybe prefer Ford. If you life near Rüsselsheim, people maybe prefer Opel. And if you life near Munich or in Bavaria, people maybe prefer BMW.

But in the end i think the Porsche brand indeed has a special status as a sports car manufacturer.

Regards, Markus
Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 AM   #13

lol, there is zero status in a 15 year old boxster. nobody stares or smiles. come on now.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
lol, there is zero status in a 15 year old boxster. nobody stares or smiles. come on now.
Totally False. This forum is full of stories of people complimenting 15 year old Boxsters. Age doesn't matter - most people wouldn't have a clue these cars are 15 years old. Keep em looking good and the age doesn't show.

The Porsche badge on the front says a lot and draws attention.

If they aren't staring and smiling at you - that says more about you than me. Maybe get the polish out and make her look pretty.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Totally False. This forum is full of stories of people complimenting 15 year old Boxsters. Age doesn't matter - most people wouldn't have a clue these cars are 15 years old. Keep em looking good and the age doesn't show.

The Porsche badge on the front says a lot and draws attention.

If they aren't staring and smiling at you - that says more about you than me. Maybe get the polish out and make her look pretty.
My car looks fine. I live in an affluent area. Trust me, No one comments or compliments, from my 3tt to my 7tt to my boxster.

The headlights date the hell out I'd the car
Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
lol, there is zero status in a 15 year old boxster.
I would say you are wrong. There is a status in every 15 year old Boxster. As we all know it's a housewifes or a hair dressers car. So isn't that a status?

Besides that i don't know one hairdresser and no housewife in person driving a 986. Maybe they are all driving Mercedes SLK R170?

Also i think the sunny side up headlights are getting a revival. I see more and more cars (986 and 996) where owners go back to the sunny side up style with the orange elements.

Regards, Markus
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #17

Quote:
My car looks fine. I live in an affluent area. Trust me, No one comments or compliments, from my 3tt to my 7tt to my boxster.

The headlights date the hell out I'd the car
Well good for you!

The headlights are an easy fix, and not even that expensive. Check out the forums, some really nice looking lights on here.

As for compliments, I've had a number and I know others who have as well. Driving though Toronto, yes, you will see lots of Porsches of all shapes/sizes - but you will see dozens and dozens of BMWs - they just blend into the background now. Assume your area is the same - a few Porsches but a ton of Audi's and BMWs.

In most parts of Canada and the US - Porsche is much more of a premium brand than a BMW.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
That exclusivity you get with the Porsche adds to the experience. It draws stares and smiles from passersby....it elevates the feeling you won't get in a common place BMW, making the Porsche simply "feel" better.
That's called placebo effect.
A car drives no differently if people are or are not watching you.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Old 02-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
the Germans prefer Porches over the boring old BMW.
Proves the point, the Porsche is better! Good call Markus.
Just to interject with some reality:

* Porsche is the 24th best selling brand in Germany, right behind Suzuki and Smart car.
* In Germany, BMW outsells Porsche by a factor of 10 to 1.
* USA & China are Porsche's top markets.

2015 (Full Year) Germany: Best-Selling Car Brands

Last edited by sugarwood; 02-15-2017 at 01:59 PM.