Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #1

2.7L vs. 2.5L?

I just wanted to get everybodies opinion on each powetrain. which is better the 2.7L or the 2.5L? When I say better, I mean which is more responsive and which is more reliable? I know that I maybe asking quite loaded questions but I am considering 98 boxster and a 00 boxster right now and your insight will definately help.

specivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Go for the 00'. The power difference is noticable,and it is more reliable. When Porsche put out the 2.7L it seems like the RMS issue got better. You never know though,its going to have alot to do with how the previous owner treated her.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #3

3.2 worth the stretch. Better on resale too.
This market is good for Boxster buyers now.
Not as good for sellers as it used to be.
Probably the same sitch for Cayenne owners soon too.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #4

I agree with Perfectlap... don't debate 2.5 or a 2.7. And don't debate a 2.7 or a 3.2...

From a 2.5 Boxster owner's side of the conversation (which would be me), I'd tell you to save more money and get an S, ignoring all the non-S models you come across. The power difference is huge and you'll never regret buying an S, but you may well regret buying a 2.5 or a 2.7 when SUV's overtake you and in an S you would have blown them away.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I agree with Perfectlap... don't debate 2.5 or a 2.7. And don't debate a 2.7 or a 3.2...

From a 2.5 Boxster owner's side of the conversation (which would be me), I'd tell you to save more money and get an S, ignoring all the non-S models you come across. The power difference is huge and you'll never regret buying an S, but you may well regret buying a 2.5 or a 2.7 when SUV's overtake you and in an S you would have blown them away.
Suv's overtake you? On the highway? I'd go for the most power too but I find my 2.5 to be quite capable and much faster than you can drive legally. Occasionally I'll really get into it and it's easy to cruise with great handling in triple digits, plenty good enough to spank any SUV, except maybe a Cayenne.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

Even the 2.5L has a 0-60 af about 6 - 6.5 seconds if I remember right. There shouldn't be many SUVs out there that can take it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Even the 2.5L has a 0-60 af about 6 - 6.5 seconds if I remember right. There shouldn't be many SUVs out there that can take it.
One of my my family members "on the job" indulges me on occasion, once the Boxster reaches 100+ it's a rocket. I don't know of many other cars that can cruise @115 and still negotiate twisties.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #8

I am more then happy with my 2.5... Fast enought for me.. The fun isn't in straight line speed but the corners, oh those corners..

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #9

I got my 2.5 up to 143 mph the other day. I was trying to catch my wife in her minivan.
99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #10

i have a 2.5 and i'm perfectly happy. i'm not an enthusiast as far as tracking my car but for everyday spirited driving and keeping me out of speeding tickets it fits me fine. my 2.5 has been very reliable, with the exception of an oil separator and a window regulator. An S would be nice, but for that kind of money i'd buy a 911 for alittle more. there's always something bigger and better but you just have to realize what kind of driver you are and find that niche. Buy a loaded one, carbon fiber, sport seats, hardtop, exhaust/headers, wheels, body upgrades so you won't have to spend that extra dough and do it yourself would be my advice.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #11

Hi,

Don't listen to anyone else. Make an honest assessment of who you are, how you drive and what you want the car for. Then, drive them both and buy the one which best suits your needs. The 2.5 suits me fine because I have other toys with which to set my hair on fire. Also, I'd much rather have a perfect 2.5 (which I do) than some raggedy-*ss 3.2 S.

Resale value means nothing, because you cannot gauge tomorrow's market today, even using today's as a comparison. Besides, NEVER buy a Luxury item because of how you think you'll come out on the back end, buy it because you want it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #12

Besides, NEVER buy a Luxury item because of how you think you'll come out on the back end, buy it because you want it...

Truer words have never been spoken!!

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #13

I have driven the 2.7L and can not tell it from my 2.5L. The power difference is negligable. I drove them almost back to back and really couldn't tell any difference at all.

Anybody who says there is a huge difference should try driving a car that is acctually fast (and not a boxster S thats not fast either) and see what a real difference is.

Buy what is a good deal and what suits your needs, dont discount a 98 in Mint condition because you can get a mediocre 00 with a 2.7L in it for the same money.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
i have a 2.5 and i'm perfectly happy... with the exception of an oil separator and a window regulator. An S would be nice, but for that kind of money i'd buy a 911 for alittle more.
I couldn't agree less than HD. I too am completely satisfied with my 2.5L. Plus with gas prices rises, I feel good to know that I have the smaller engine.

I too have the oil sep and Window reg go out on me! I fixed them myself and saved about $1k? maybe $800.

Plus, I figure, if you're gonna be considered to have a "poormans Porsche" then why not have the lowest model of them all! LOL.. jk..

But seriously, it depends on what YOU want. I chose the 2.5L because it was clean and just like HD said, instead of the S, I'd rather save up a bit more and get a used 911.
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:58 AM   #15

As a dealer, I would not buy a 2.5L Boxster. The engine is the oldest, least reliable, and weakest engine the Box has had. Many horror stories abound about the engine and some of them are quite true.

You may find a nice one, you might not.

The old advice still goes,

Buy the nicest, fastest Box you can afford.

IMHO.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
When Porsche put out the 2.7L it seems like the RMS issue got better.

Are you seaious??? You got facts to back that up?
Thats the funniest thing I ever heard. Sorry to break it to you but the problem is still there even in the 987/997 models. No matter what water cooled flat-6 Porsche engine you have, you have the same chance of getting an RMS failure as any. The only 911/boxster I've ever heard of that has a less of a chance of getting a RMS failure is a tip because of the tip transmission.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #17

also look up the Consumer Reports evals on Boxsters through the years. Excellence magazine has a good market review for 986's noting the differences between years (even they all look the same from the outside).
I think the 2000-2002 reported the least amount of engine/drivetrain issues from
1997-2004.
As for power I've said it before, a car at this curb weight should have at least 240 HP. The car will be fine with less but it without question seems to "come alive" in the turns with the extra power. And of course for freeway merging and overtaking slower cars its very very handy. This car could easily handle another 100 HP with the steering and balance on hand.
As for resale there is no way to predict what the market will do but its a safe bet you'll get more money for the S. With the internet producing smarter and smarter buyers (like you) doing their research they'll be more informed before buying and many will know that power upgrades are very very expensive on this car. Best to get it with the most power available for each model year from the factory. It's a sports car afterall and power is not the be all and end all but its indeed relevant.
So not buying a 3.2 could cost you money. It's a strong possibility.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
... (#1) I think the 2000-2002 reported the least amount of engine/drivetrain issues from1997-2004.... (#2) As for power I've said it before, a car at this curb weight should have at least 240 HP... (#3) And of course for freeway merging and overtaking slower cars its very very handy... (#4) As for resale there is no way to predict what the market will do but its a safe bet you'll get more money for the S... (#5) So not buying a 3.2 could cost you money. It's a strong possibility.

Hi,

On point #1, where are you getting you data? There is no data which suggests this. Boxster Production peaked in these years, so there may be some merit as the workers were more in the groove . Another factor is that the older cars are just that - older. Issues quite naturally do increase as a Car ages.

Point #2, that's debatable and a matter of taste. Porsche designed the Boxster to use the 201bhp in the original 2.5l. They may have purposely emasculated it in relation to the 911, but it's still got a lot (some may say adequate) pep to it.

Point #3, just silly, the 2.5 has no trouble whatever either merging into traffic, or passing other traffic. It has a greater power/weight ratio than the 550 Spyder afterall, and no one ever accused that car of being a dog.

Point #4, true, the market is not predictable, and an S may sell for more than a base in a couple years, but you are forgetting that it also takes more to get into an S in the first place, so it's likely to be same-same in the end. I have not seen anything which suggests that the S depreciates at a lesser rate than the base.

Point #5, ???? I don't get the reasonong here at all. Unless you are going to make the car perfect and throw a blanket over it for 50 years, it's most likely that you will sell the car for less than you paid, whether it's a Base or an S. If one were to invest the difference in price of the S over the base for the number of years you owned the car, you would make some money or limit your cost of ownership, otherwise, the Car is going to cost you - the cost of having it and using it for the years owned be it an S or Base model. But, the Brake Pads, clutch and insurance will all be higher with the S, so this car could actually cost you more money than the Base.

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

On point #1, where are you getting you data? There is no data which suggests this. Boxster Production peaked in these years, so there may be some merit as the workers were more in the groove . Another factor is that the older cars are just that - older. Issues quite naturally do increase as a Car ages.

Point #2, that's debatable and a matter of taste. Porsche designed the Boxster to use the 201bhp in the original 2.5l. They may have purposely emasculated it in relation to the 911, but it's still got a lot (some may say adequate) pep to it.

Point #3, just silly, the 2.5 has no trouble whatever either merging into traffic, or passing other traffic. It has a greater power/weight ratio than the 550 Spyder afterall, and no one ever accused that car of being a dog.

Point #4, true, the market is not predictable, and an S may sell for more than a base in a couple years, but you are forgetting that it also takes more to get into an S in the first place, so it's likely to be same-same in the end. I have not seen anything which suggests that the S depreciates at a lesser rate than the base.

Point #5, ???? I don't get the reasonong here at all. Unless you are going to make the car perfect and throw a blanket over it for 50 years, it's most likely that you will sell the car for less than you paid, whether it's a Base or an S. If one were to invest the difference in price of the S over the base for the number of years you owned the car, you would make some money or limit your cost of ownership, otherwise, the Car is going to cost you - the cost of having it and using it for the years owned be it an S or Base model. But, the Brake Pads, clutch and insurance will all be higher with the S, so this car could actually cost you more money than the Base.

1-somene posted on here that the Consumer Reports folks reported that drivetrain issues were fewest with the 2.7 and 3.2's from 2000-2002. The 03 and 04 featured some redesign of the drive shaft? that's starting to report problems in increasing numbers with no real problems in this area being reported by earlier models. Before 2000 of course there were the porosity issues with the engine block on the 2.5's, tons of cases to report on that front which surely had to be a factor in redesigning the engine and introducing the 2.7 and 3.2

2-I never said the 2.5 doesn't have pep. But if you have driven both you see that though the cars may be similar in weight the seat of the pants feel very different coming out of corners and coming off braking with the substantial increase in torque from the 3.2. (why would anyone pass this up if its in their budget??)
The more power you add to the Boxster the more the excellent handling/balance is magnified well except for that moment of polar inertia when the car breaks away like no other and you're just a passenger. But no car is perfect.

3-Again no one ever said you can't adequately merge on traffic and overtkae slower cars in a 2.5 BUT if you have driven a 3.2 you will see how much easier of an effort it is, particularly higher up on the power band.

4-The Boxster market varies greatly. You might be able to get a 3.2 in one part of the country for the same amount of money that it would cost you for 2.7 (with both having the same mileage,condition etc.) in another area. If you are willing to buy with just an independent inspection report sight unseen you could get into an S for the same amount of money as a 2.7. Its not always signficantly more or more at all. Like I said this a very good time to be 986 buyer, lots of fluctuation in prices and choices by region.

5-I'ts not a given that the S depreciates at a lower rate but the rules of supply and demmand are often a factor. There are 150 Boxsters for sale on Ebay right now and only 50 of them are S models. Allot of people are locating (not always buying) through online trading sites like Ebay. You very well could end up selling to this pool or making your Boxster known to this segment of buyers who rely on the internet only. If the trend in this buying pool shifts towards more buyers wanting 3.2's and willing to pay more for an S model then obviously there will be fewer S models to choose from (and even fewer well preserved ones) and the 2.7's(in similar mileage,condition etc.) WILL have to be lowered in price to entice a potential 2nd hand buyer away from a 3.2. This lowering could be at a increasingly faster rate given the ever growing numbers of Boxsters coming off leases every day.

I did say it could not it will cost you money. Its hard to show this statiscally because no one really tracks resale values this closely. It's no different than with the Carreras. Relative to overall production of the 996, the C4S was small in production and the market is very good for that car thus its still quiet expensive to get into one. Supply and demmand. The pool of buyers for Boxsters is going to grow 10 fold as people look to get a piece of the Porsche brand for little money and a very good track record of reliability. This hasn't really happened much in the past with this brand.
There's no way to say now whether the demmand for S models will be greater but the fact that there are fewer to choose from makes it a strong possibility that like the C4S the BoxsterS will be more desireable in the 2nd hand market and a lower depreciation rate could be the result. It's as likely as it is unlikely. If I'm a buyer and can get into the rarer model for not much more money its a no brainer.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #20

Smile

As a dealer, I would only be interested in later years S models.

It is what sells!

Just a thought!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote