986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   are these tops supposed to be 100% water tight? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65325)

madmac 02-07-2017 06:47 AM

are these tops supposed to be 100% water tight?

i am in the process of having my rear window replaced,
while i had a trouble light under the clam shell i realized i could see light from out side the car with the roof full deployed and the clam shell down???
it is on both sides where the roof / clam shell weather stripping stops and just rear of the little triangle looking body piece sits and forward of the drain hole. (cleaned)
if i look straight down on either side of the car i can actually see inside the clam shell compartment.

is this normal?

Deserion 02-07-2017 07:15 AM

Is the seal on the bottom bow of the roof still intact?

jcslocum 02-07-2017 07:23 AM

There will be spots where the top gaskets won't meet with the rest of the bodywork. That is why there are pans and drains back there to keep clean. 99% tight would be great if they can catch the other 1%... This is why so many cars end up with drowned alarm system ECU's. The drains get clogged and flood under the seats.

madmac 02-07-2017 03:11 PM

ok, thanks

Timco 02-07-2017 03:40 PM

I carry a couple soft rags. Drivers window.

thstone 02-07-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcslocum (Post 526019)
There will be spots where the top gaskets won't meet with the rest of the bodywork. That is why there are pans and drains back there to keep clean. 99% tight would be great if they can catch the other 1%... This is why so many cars end up with drowned alarm system ECU's. The drains get clogged and flood under the seats.

^^^ What he said ^^^

The top shouldn't let water leak into the passenger compartment but water will get into the area behind the top by the clamshell. This is why they have drains back there. But if you're getting water into the passenger compartment, then you have a problem.

ray_pilot 02-10-2017 11:19 AM

rayF

Your post states that you are having your rear window replaced. Is that the plastic one? If so, where do you go for that and how much are they charging you. My vinyl window is mostly out and I was thinking of just buying a new top with glass instead of even trying to repair it. Just checking options. Thanks

pomerlo 02-10-2017 11:42 AM

Here is an excerpt from the owner manual for a 986.

Somehow for Porsche a tiny leak here and there is considered normal. Specially if you see a leak just after washing your car.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/top1486759148.jpg

madmac 02-11-2017 02:24 AM

the window cracked/ split so this is a need not a want project.

i started off at the auto glass places in town and figured out pretty quickly THAT WAS A NO GO.

they wanted 200 to replace the window ok, but they wanted to remove and reinstall the roof and that would be extra and would not give me an estimate on time or price.

plan A i am attempting to-replace it myself ( 50 Canadian)

i can already tell you this is not fun, it will be functional but i am still adjusting for that factory look.

plan B if i cannot get plan A perfect, i am going to strip the roof, and try to reinstall-it, if i can do that correctly i am going to buy a new roof with a glass window. (800 Canadian)

plan C if plan B is too hard to get perfect, and all else fails, i will start looking for a hard top. i estimate around (3000 Canadian with shipping)

paulofto 02-11-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmac (Post 526634)

plan B if i cannot get plan A perfect, i am going to strip the roof, and try to reinstall-it, if i can do that correctly i am going to buy a new roof with a glass window. (800 Canadian)

Hey Madmac, where have you found a glass window roof for 800 CDN. Just curious since I haven't seen anything close to that amount. 1200+ seems more the norm.

Thanks.

madmac 02-11-2017 01:34 PM

Porsche Boxster Glass Window Replacements and Upgrades

paulofto 02-12-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmac (Post 526708)

Cool. Thanks!

jaykay 02-12-2017 09:10 AM

Let me know how these glass window tops work out! OEM?