Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
+23 hp from just a catback exhaust?!

Isn't this the eBay exhaust? 23hp huh? That's a bargain!
https://youtu.be/pgPNdECWOns

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #2

23hp!! Maybe if they opened up the rest of the exhaust too
Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
23hp!! Maybe if they opened up the rest of the exhaust too
Who knew a rebranded eBay muffler could net you that much gain!

Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
Project Addicted

Get 2 and add 46hp!!!
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Get 2 and add 46hp!!!
Cheaper than swapping in a 3.4L!

Old 03-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #6

Garage
If it sounds too good to be true ...
Nice commercial and exhaust note, but where's the evidence/data in increased HP?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
They say in the video's description that they used a Mustang dyno to confirm the numbers.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
They say in the video's description that they used a Mustang dyno to confirm the numbers.
It would be nice to show a document, graphed data, to show the comparison much like Fabspeed does. Fabspeed costs more but their data shows much less gain in hp and tq with documented proof.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
It would be nice to show a document, graphed data, to show the comparison much like Fabspeed does. Fabspeed costs more but their data shows much less gain in hp and tq with documented proof.
I agree. I think it's bunk. There's no way that thing provides a gain of 23hp, unless they meant that they threw a Ford Mustang on that dyno after installing the exhaust. LOL. Nice marketing though.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

Guys, here is how you debunk this, 23hp and 11ft lbs of torque is their claim. Horsepower is torque X rpm / 5250 so there you go, the math is way off. If you gain 11 ft lbs of torque the engine would have to be at 10,500 rpm to gain 22hp. I know that the torque comes in somewhere else in the rev range but say they claim the 23 hp is gained at 6200 rpm (where the Boxster s peak hp is listed) it would mean the torque would have to be up 19 ft lbs. So yes, bs is what this is. Back in the 90s I worked in a performance shop and we had a flowbench and a dyno and tested competitors products against ours. Back in those days on the Mustangs they had all these chips that claimed 30hp or the like, what they didn't tell you is that you gained 30 hp at some unusable rpm long after you shifted, the peak hp rose like 4hp.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Cheaper than swapping in a 3.4L!
They forgot to mention swapping-in a 3.4L before bolting on the exhaust for the dyno run.

People say a lot of things while trying to peddle merchandise on the net. What was it PT Barnum was credited with saying? I can't recall it right now...

TQ x RPM / 5252 is the formula for calculating HP. Yes, their math is wrong.

Last edited by Topless; 03-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:39 AM   #12
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Get 2 and add 46hp!!!
I'm getting three.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #13

Garage
Rule of thumb in life... sounds too good to be true, it usually is - stay away from it and save up for something good. Better yet, just make louder sounds with your lips just like having a hockey hard on your spokes !! Vrooom Vrooom... just gained 23hp right there.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

I dyno tested this cat back exhaust and the actual increase is 7hp at the very top end (no additional power in the low or mid-range).

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51783-top-speed-pro-1-catback-exhaust-hp-increase.html
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #15
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I put mine on the dyno before and after too and had similar results. Mine was with the manifolds too but did show gains from the mid-range at about circa 9bhp http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/47555-tuned-modified-2000-boxster-s.html
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #16

Garage
While I haven't dyno'ed the car, I have noticed an insane increase in power. The car feels completely new. I have all Ebay Headers, Secondary Pipes (catless), Custom U Bend's and a "Beluga Racing" Muffler from Ebay. The sound is the most orgasmic thing I've heard in a very long time. With the full exhaust there is virtually no drone in all RPM Bands, With just the Muffler there is reasonable drone around 2k to 3k but the exhaust gets quiet after a while and in higher rpm.

I started with Headers, Then Muffler. But the real change in the way it all sounded was completing it with the Secondary Pipes without cats. I do have to pass emissions tests but thats fine as long as the car is running good with no check engine lights. And my O2's without the extenders read mildly ok. My O2's however are sometimes throwing the "old o2" code. which is claiming they are dying so they will be replaced here soon after I do emissions to re register my 986 in a week.

I was planning on building my own exhaust because the cost of a "race exhaust" or any exhaust if you made it yourself, would cost a ton cheaper than purchasing some name brand overpriced piece of metal. NO Exhaust should cost thousands of dollars for the short length of a Porsche.
But I just said screw it, bought the ebay parts since they will only be on the car for another year or so before I swap the motor.

The car has lots more low end torque, Front end lifts up pretty high if I slam the gas at low speeds.

I wish I could take a video of the sound but I'm all alone right now. I do have a video of just the headers and muffler but the sound changed a lot (for the better) when I did the test pipes. I honestly say its a very nice exhaust.

I also couldn't find any U Pipes that were the right size for the new exhaust, since the new exhaust is much larger in size. All the aftermarket U Pipes I found were the same size as stock. So I made my own out of some Flex Pipe for now.

Muffler 299 Shipped
Test Pipes 160 Shipped
U Pipes 25 Local
Headers 113 Shipped.

So for 600 dollars you have a really awesome sounding full exhaust system that will give you some gains, now if you have the ability to tune or have someone tune it, I'd do this also for additional gains. DO NOT Just install a muffler, you're not doing anything but making the exhaust a little louder. The real issues in performance is the stock Headers and Cats. Their design and pipe diameter is a HUGE restriction.

Headers

Test Pipes (Secondaries)

Muffler

Last edited by DarkStar; 03-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
While I haven't dyno'ed the car, I have noticed an insane increase in power. The car feels completely new. I have all Ebay Headers, Secondary Pipes (catless), Custom U Bend's and a "Beluga Racing" Muffler from Ebay. The sound is the most orgasmic thing I've heard in a very long time. With the full exhaust there is virtually no drone in all RPM Bands, With just the Muffler there is reasonable drone around 2k to 3k but the exhaust gets quiet after a while and in higher rpm.

I started with Headers, Then Muffler. But the real change in the way it all sounded was completing it with the Secondary Pipes without cats. I do have to pass emissions tests but thats fine as long as the car is running good with no check engine lights. And my O2's without the extenders read mildly ok. My O2's however are sometimes throwing the "old o2" code. which is claiming they are dying so they will be replaced here soon after I do emissions to re register my 986 in a week.

I was planning on building my own exhaust because the cost of a "race exhaust" or any exhaust if you made it yourself, would cost a ton cheaper than purchasing some name brand overpriced piece of metal. NO Exhaust should cost thousands of dollars for the short length of a Porsche.
But I just said screw it, bought the ebay parts since they will only be on the car for another year or so before I swap the motor.

The car has lots more low end torque, Front end lifts up pretty high if I slam the gas at low speeds.

I wish I could take a video of the sound but I'm all alone right now. I do have a video of just the headers and muffler but the sound changed a lot (for the better) when I did the test pipes. I honestly say its a very nice exhaust.

I also couldn't find any U Pipes that were the right size for the new exhaust, since the new exhaust is much larger in size. All the aftermarket U Pipes I found were the same size as stock. So I made my own out of some Flex Pipe for now.

Muffler 299 Shipped
Test Pipes 160 Shipped
U Pipes 25 Local
Headers 113 Shipped.

So for 600 dollars you have a really awesome sounding full exhaust system that will give you some gains, now if you have the ability to tune or have someone tune it, I'd do this also for additional gains. DO NOT Just install a muffler, you're not doing anything but making the exhaust a little louder. The real issues in performance is the stock Headers and Cats. Their design and pipe diameter is a HUGE restriction.

Headers

Test Pipes (Secondaries)

Muffler
I'd love to hear a few clips of this

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
itskenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskenallen View Post
I'd love to hear a few clips of this

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Its not perfect, But this was today on the freeway. 4th Gear, around 4k RPM up and down. The loud part I was going under a bridge so it got pretty loud, Scared some dude in a Hellcat. I know its not perfect but it gives you an idea of the sounds you'd be hearing. This is up against the wall with one window (nearest the wall) down, so the sound is bouncing back. If the windows are up its not loud inside the car, tho you can tell there is an exhaust.

https://soundcloud.com/joshua-gray-11/porsche-986-full-exhaust
Old 03-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #19

Garage
If it adds any hp it will only be at or near redline. Below that, all this mod can do is increase the noise level
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #20
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I dyno tested this cat back exhaust and the actual increase is 7hp at the very top end (no additional power in the low or mid-range).

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51783-top-speed-pro-1-catback-exhaust-hp-increase.html
There you go, you, you, you... "Debbie Downer" using facts to confuse us all!!! I have my top speed system and it's good for 23HP, It says so on the interwebs :-)

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote