Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Ok to keep snow tires on in the summer?

I posted about my experience in the snow, and got great ideas, thanks everyone! I was just thinking about getting snow tires vs. all seasons and wanted to know what you all thought about leaving the snow tires on all year round. Is that bad? If the only drawback is reduced gas mileage I'm ok with it.
I should have stated that despite my username I'm not in Maui. I lived there two years, and lived 51 in Massachusetts. I may have left Maui, but Maui never left me!

Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

Garage
Snow tires are noisy and handle poorly on dry roads when compared to summer tires. They also wear faster in hot temperatures.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
There's no benefit to running snows year-round, at all. The tire wear will accelerate since they're not being used in the proper conditions, and won't save money. It'd be most cost-effective to swap to summers or "all" seasons for the nicer parts of the year.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

Having a good set of winter and a good set of summer tires is far far cheaper than one set of winters. As stated - the winters will wear out very quickly in warm weather - they are designed to be very pliable at cold temperatures....that means they pretty much melt in the hot sun. So you will 'burn' through your winter tires in no time.

Winters on when the avg temp is below say around 5 degrees (celsius of course) and then summers on when the temp is above that.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Ok you sold me but I'm an apartment dweller, closet space is at a premium!

I'll figure something out...
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

My local tire shop stores my winter tires for me and vice versa for my summers for $10/season. Check around, many shops will do this if you buy the tires through them.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #7

I had a Golf back in the day that I ran the Michelin X ice tires on in the winter. We had a really mild winter and I kept the tires on just a month or so too long. They became useless in a hurry. Winter tires have no business on a car, once it starts getting above 50 degrees or so they will wear out in a hurry.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

Also, in the old days snow tires where all about tire tread. Now it is all about tire compound. Snows are very sticky in cold temps and crazy sticky in warm weather to the point you will take a big hit on your gas mileage.

GaryMulcahey is offline   Reply With Quote