Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Nakamichi CD400

Does anyone have any expierence installing this receiver? Does anyone know what harness and/or any adapters that would be needed? Any have one for sale?

Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Does anyone have any expierence installing this receiver? Does anyone know what harness and/or any adapters that would be needed? Any have one for sale?
Hi,

I have this system installed in my Esprit and it's awesome. I have it mated with Nak's 4/100W Amp w/ Focal Utopia Be - No.7, 21 WX, 4-way individual components, 8 speakers in all, Monster Cable, Dynamat, etc. - Carnegie friggin' Hall!

Unfortunately, since there was no adapter for the Lotus, I had to create my own wiring and harness - direct to Battery and Chassis Ground, and cut into the Ignition Switch.

I'd be surprised if a Nak -> Boxster adapter exists, but you could easily make one up. Just study the Wiring Schematics and make your own. You may need to research some VW wiring bits and connectors because Porsche does not sell them separately, but they are same-same. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #3

Hi blinkwatt,
I have this head unit in my Box, it sounds great, and the install is not too difficult. If you need an adapter you can get one at www.caraudioinnovations.com , there is a phone number on the site to call...Thats where I got mine last year....They are in California too, so it shouldn't take too long to get the part....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced

Last edited by bigislandboxster; 06-25-2006 at 07:22 AM.
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Where could one find Nakamichi receivers for cars?
Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #5

blinkwatt,
The store that bigisland posted the link for is on Harding Blvd in Roseville. They have that deck. They have everything you will need to install it also. They specialize in Porsche installs. Very nice!
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #6

I have a CD-400 sitting in my garage, got it in 2002 or 2003.

I was attracted to Nakamichi because of their understated appearance and vaunted audio qualities. Nakamichi had earned a bad rep in the states by this time because their in-dash CD-changers were breaking left and right. When I went shopping for a Nak, I heard mostly bad stories about reliability, but nothing but praise for their sound quality.

Took the risk--I bought one off eBay from a reputable seller and installed it in my Eclipse. About four months later the thing started having problems reading CDs.

Now for the killer: Nakamichi won't honor their warranty unless you buy their products from one of their authorized dealers.

Again, I have a CD-400 sitting in my garage. (this however, is partially my fault--the eBay seller did say that they'd replace it for me, but I never got around to shipping it back. Lazy me.)

I recommend that you NOT buy a Nakamichi, but if you do, buy it from an authorized dealer near you so that the warranty stuff isn't a problem.

Alpine would be your best bet I think. They're also the least flashy of the mainstream bunch I think. I can't stand a head unit that blinks and flashes like a discotheque, with curves and buttons that look like they were designed by Nike.

Last edited by eslai; 06-25-2006 at 10:38 AM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #7

I bought mine about a year ago, use it almost every day, never had a problem with it. I heard some of the earlier models did have problems with them tho...But you are right eslai, buy from an authorized dealer, I know car audio innovations is an authorized dealer for Nakamichi....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
I bought mine about a year ago, use it almost every day, never had a problem with it. I heard some of the earlier models did have problems with them tho...But you are right eslai, buy from an authorized dealer, I know car audio innovations is an authorized dealer for Nakamichi....
Hi,

Yep, ditto here, 2 years and running without a single problem. The only criticsm I have is that the Tuner isn't really the best I've experienced, but I rarely listen to the radio anyway...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote