Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
1JB

Chirping noise

Well my brand new Boxster S has a severe chirping noise from what sounds like the right rear. It's unbearable with the top up as it resonates through the cabin. It happens with any minor undulation or movement of the body. It may or may not happen over a big bump but will just chirp away like mad on a poorly paved road. I did do a search here on squeaks but not many seem to have this issue. The dealer has replaced the lower control arm with no change. Next the strut is being replaced. To make matters worse one of the geniuses working on the car actually created to dents in the top of the rear fender apparently by pushing like heck on it to see if it would squeak so they have to be rolled out. How good are these guys at rolling out minor dents? The dealer assures me I won't be able to see a thing but obviously I'm ticked. When you drive the car when it's cold there's no sound. Let the car sit in a parking lot after a few miles of driving, start it up and it seems the heat from the engine just sitting sets this car into chirping nirvana. Hopefully the strut replacement takes care of the problem but this is without a doubt the worst noise I have ever had from a car and I've owned quite a few in more than 30 years of driving. I'll post the next round of results.

1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
1JB

With the strut replaced the chirping noise now appears to be gone. Interestingly the handling seems to be better. Before it seemed you had more resistance in the wheel when turning to the left in hard turns. It was the right rear strut that was replaced. To the dealership and Porsche's credit they spent many hours on this car and replaced both the lower control arm and the strut to sort through the noise. The dents also came out perfectly. Apparently they were able to get at them from the underside by removing the tail light and rubbing them out.
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #3

Nice to hear things going your way!

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote