986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   If Anyone is Looking for a Rear Speaker Shelf Unit (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64865)

Chuck W. 01-02-2017 05:41 PM

If Anyone is Looking for a Rear Speaker Shelf Unit

Great price on eBay. They have it listed for $130 but if you offer $97.50 they will most likely take it.

00 Boxster S RWD Porsche 986 REAR Black STORAGE COMPARTMENT 986551223 45,675

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rXIAAO...ce/s-l1600.jpg

thstone 01-02-2017 07:25 PM

Chuck, nice find and at a darn good price!

BirdDog 01-04-2017 04:28 AM

If someone on here bought that shelf, you can get the original factory harness from
Becker 'www.beckerautosound.com' for $64.99 + $15 s&h.

The factory harness terminates at a white nylon retainer that locks into the roll bar on
the passenger side. The retainer is pressed into the roll bar then twisted 90 degrees,
then the harness connector slides onto and locks to it. The speaker harness from the
rear shelf then connects to this.

I went crazy a couple of years ago looking for the retainer when I replaced my
speakerless rear shelf with one that had speakers. No one (Porsche, Becker, etc)
was able to help me. After a ton of research, it turned out to be a BMW part,
available at any BMW dealer. BMW uses it on several of their cars to hold
wiring harnesses to the center console.

Part No: 61-13-1-378-997 2035HBRACKET Lists for $3.67 each

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1483535928.jpg

Quadcammer 01-04-2017 04:31 AM

that place is hilarious.

they ask for "best offers" but won't accept anything under the list price.

bit stupid.

Chuck W. 01-04-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 521574)
that place is hilarious.

they ask for "best offers" but won't accept anything under the list price.

bit stupid.

Au contraire Quad.... they are great. But, you are right. They list their items and will accept 25% off on a best offer. However, if it doesn't sell in time they will knock the price down 25% and not accept any best offers. It is a tad odd, but their prices are very good, they are as honest as can be, their listing are very complete and accurate and they ship fast.

And.. Quad.. in 2011 you told me not to sell my 993 turbo. Oh, how right you were!

BirdDog 01-04-2017 07:06 PM

Quadcammer

Like Chuck W, I've had good luck with them too. I usually recommend that people try Woodie (ItsNotANova) first, and if he doesn't have what you need, try them (QualityPorscheParts). They also usually ship larger, heavy things via freight for free.

Yeah, I agree, once they discount an item they won't take an offer less than the selling price. Kinda dumb - probably some crazy ebay thing. But other than that, they're great!

Quadcammer 01-05-2017 03:58 AM

I've never actually purchased an item there, as I made several, what I believed to be reasonable offers, which were declined. Either way, some of their pricing I find a bit excessive, but they do appear to have quality items.

boxxster 01-05-2017 06:45 AM

I bought a bunch of stuff from them when I was fixing my car up. The whole rad/fan/condenser assembly, the rad duct, and one or two suspension bits. Everything arrived super quick, very well packaged, and in excellent condition. Don't remember what offers I made but I got everything more than reasonably priced as well.

Thumper 01-05-2017 10:43 AM

I've bought several things from them and they've always accepted an offer 25% less than the buy it now price listed in the auction. They're good at packing things where they arrive in great shape and the shipping time is very short. I don't have any issues buying from them.

Jgkram 01-05-2017 11:11 AM

Rear deck

I just caught this thread and thought I should respond with some details. I was the one that bought the rear deck. I got it for well below the "asking" price and right at the 25% markdown everyone has been mentioning. Believe it or not it just arrived and is in great condition probably better than my existing deck which I considered a 9.5 out of 10. Very pleased with the packaging which was secure and well marked. All in all I would not hesitate to make a purchase from them again if this is typical.

I also have to give a shout out to this entire community of Boxster owners. What a great group of folks to submit help and advice without even being asked just with the thought that it might be helpful to someone. I hope that someday I get to actually meet some of you guys.

I'll read all the threads on hooking this up and even though I do a fair amount of wrenching, electronics and vacuum leaks scare the crap out of me. Don't be surprised if you see me again asking for advice. Thanks....

lkchris 01-06-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxxster (Post 521696)
I bought a bunch of stuff from them ...

Yeah, me too--they're my local Porsche salvage.

I drove by once and they don't really look ready for folks to drop in, so didn't try.

Local UPS shipping is pretty fast ... when I bought a front bumper, UPS showed up with a tractor/trailer unit.

Only gripe I have is that they always separate tops, i.e. they sell mechanism, headliner, and top canvas all separately. My local independent mechanic deals with them he says, and I asked him to find a complete top, but he never did. Got my complete '03-4 top from LA Dismantlers.

Can I remember it all ...

Leather seats
front bumper
S center radiator
'03-4 taillights
third brake light
everything to change from gloss to matte finish dash switches
6X40 amp
stainless door sill protectors
CDC-3 CD changer
rollbar mesh insert
a second jack so can lift both front sides simultaneously