986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   May need a new roof. Help please (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64811)

Fuzzuki 12-28-2016 05:18 PM

May need a new roof. Help please

My plastic rear window is coming unstitched.
The roof is in really good condition. I thought it had been replace last year or the year before, because it looks soo good.

Now the rear window is becoming unstitched. I guess the thread is rotting or something.

Is there a quick easy fix until I can get it replaced.

I called my interior guy.
He said it would cost about 800 to re-stitch the existing window back into place because they have to take it completely off to do the job. ( I knew that was the case)

Then he said I could buy a new roof for about 1,500 bucks with plexi or a roof with glass for 2000 plus the re and re costs.

Is there a place to get cheaper roofs?

If I buy it, he will put it on for me.

Thanks guys.

fanguy 12-28-2016 05:53 PM

I’ve seen them for less here is just a basic google search and look what showed up, keep looking. 2003 - 2004 Porsche Boxster - Roadster Convertible Tops

Fuzzuki 12-28-2016 06:16 PM

Yeah. I was a bit lazy I guess. I did find that site but didn't see the pricing.

Now I just need to get it installed.

dxterity 12-28-2016 08:59 PM

I did mine last spring when my plastic rear window cracked. They charged me $500. He removed the top, stitched in a new plastic window using my top and did it all on the same day. New Image Interiors on Midland Ave. Great custom car interior guy. I highly recommend them.

flouese 12-29-2016 03:03 AM

I picked up a top off of EBay and installed it myself. It took a couple of hours to pull the old one off by myself and about 6 hrs to install the new one with the help of my son-in-law. Downloaded several tutorials and had the 101 Projects book standing by if there was some questions. Took me several weeks to get the nerve to start the job but once started, it went smoothly.

Fuzzuki 12-29-2016 03:04 AM

I will look them up. Wrong side of the city for me, but it may be worth taking a day off work to get it done for that price.

thanks

philipjayadler 12-29-2016 04:15 AM

Check this out on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331533464510

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

derfo 12-29-2016 09:14 AM

Soft top roof window repair

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzuki (Post 520983)
My plastic rear window is coming unstitched.
The roof is in really good condition. I thought it had been replace last year or the year before, because it looks soo good.

Now the rear window is becoming unstitched. I guess the thread is rotting or something.

Is there a quick easy fix until I can get it replaced.

I called my interior guy.
He said it would cost about 800 to re-stitch the existing window back into place because they have to take it completely off to do the job. ( I knew that was the case)

Then he said I could buy a new roof for about 1,500 bucks with plexi or a roof with glass for 2000 plus the re and re costs.

Is there a place to get cheaper roofs?

If I buy it, he will put it on for me.

Thanks guys.

Hello Fuzzuki
Have a look on the Pelcan site under derfo, "Soft top roof window repair". I did it myself some time ago and its still ok.

Converse986Black 12-29-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipjayadler (Post 521001)
Check this out on ebay:
Porsche Boxster Convertible Top 97-02 in Black Stayfast Cloth with Glass Window | eBay

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I purchased from this site after purchasing my Boxster with a bad top. Woody actually sold me a complete frame and top as a temporary which I installed with the help of my wife. Woody's instruction to my son and I made it super easy to install the top with my wife when my son wasn't able to help. NOW, I can wait until I really get my Boxster exterior repainted and apply the new top for a new car feel in the spring if all goes well.

So, the given eBay vendor was super quick in shipping out my new top with glass but Woody was the true life saver making it easy to install a temporary and have the peace of mind of no flooding on the inside of my cabin:dance::D

More 12-29-2016 03:22 PM

Mine cracked last year when I decided to put the roof down on a cold morning and BANGGG off it went. I bought a new one off eBay for about $289 US and I found a local Auto Trimmers & Upholstery guy to put it on for $289 US. My advice is be careful who you go with some people will try and rip you off because you drive a Porsche and they think your loaded with money. Go with someone out in the suburbs and away from the city and posh neighborhoods.

Link Below..

diamondmall on eBay

mikefocke 12-29-2016 04:18 PM

Lots of the roof options are described with pictures and text. 15 articles.

bwdz 12-30-2016 05:32 AM

I had similar quotes with a Miata back in the day so I took off the top myself and brought it to the trim shop and they stitched the window in for $75 including the window (originally quoted around $600 with them removing the top) They did it while I waited as it is a piece of cake once the top is removed. If you are up to just taking the time to remove the top yourself you can save a boat load of money and only leave the stitching to a professional.

mikefocke 12-30-2016 07:32 AM

You can also find a shop which has the equipment to do the stitching while the top is on the frame. A picture of what such a machine looks like is here along with instructions on removing the top.

Fuzzuki 02-04-2017 09:27 AM

I emailed them and they said that indeed they can replace my rear window for 500 bucks

mikefocke 02-04-2017 10:55 AM

Might want to change your location as not many associate GTA with Toronto and the location can help some folks give you pointers to parts sources/prices and repair sources.