986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2000-2004 Porsche Boxster S 6 speed manual transmission question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64789)

billium01 12-26-2016 12:10 AM

2000-2004 Porsche Boxster S 6 speed manual transmission question

Hello,

I have a Porsche 914 and I'm converting the drive train to an LS1/boxster S 6 speed manual transaxle (2000-2004). I have the adapter built by KEP and a nice clutch setup they provided too. I'm in the market for a used gearbox and want to know what to look for when examining them. I've read through the forums and gleaned as much info as I could about the subject. Here's a summary of what I already know. Talked to Roger at CMS and he recommended getting one with the lowest mileage possible. I've read about the second gear problems and the sealed bearing issue, finger test. Looks like there's a second gear detent modification you can make. Seems its best to use OEM fluid in the thing. Cables and trans mounts can create issues.

What can I do when examining a gearbox?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou

Newbie Bill

cornontherob 12-26-2016 03:36 AM

While most of us may not have extensive experience with transmissions, I'd highly recommend asking a facebook group called: Transmission Building 101, what they think. I can't personally help, but hopefully it'll get you someone who can

PaulE 12-26-2016 03:46 AM

I saw a rough 914 with a small block Chevy conversion at Lime Rock take top time of day at a time
Trial event over some pretty fancy cars, you're going to have one fast car! Other than actually driving the car with the transmission still in it, buying a rebuilt unit or from someone you trust, I've got nothing to offer. Please post some pictures when it's done!

bwdz 12-26-2016 04:30 AM

Just buy the Audi box that it is and then you don't have to pay the premium associated with the name Porsche. It is widely available in Europe for just a few hundred $$ you can get one out of a FWD diesel A8 or something similar. Or just try this one, it is brand new
New Genuine VW Audi 6 Speed Manual Transmission Longitudinal Mount KTU Code | eBay

itsnotanova 12-26-2016 05:24 AM

That's the 01E transmission and is a stronger transmission than the Boxster 6 speed. Great transmission and one of the best. If you go that route, this guy is the king of building them over here in the states.
http://advanced****************************************** ******************/shop/

Gelbster 12-26-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 520733)
That's the 01E transmission and is a stronger transmission than the Boxster 6 speed. Great transmission and one of the best. If you go that route, this guy is the king of building them over here in the states.
http://advanced****************************************** ******************/shop/

Woody,
Great suggestion to use an expert for the rebuild. Thank you. But the link does not work.Can you fix it for us?
Thank you.
Here is a video on the Audi 01E -looks quite different in some ways:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4LXDhdZzs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgNwr_1isuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHsARePtpXI

Porsche9 12-26-2016 08:13 AM

If you want to go the rebuild path I have a 02 6 speed with about 65k on it that needs a rebuild that I can sell for pretty cheap. It has the usual issue with the 2nd gear synchro having gone bad.

billium01 12-26-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornontherob (Post 520724)
While most of us may not have extensive experience with transmissions, I'd highly recommend asking a facebook group called: Transmission Building 101, what they think. I can't personally help, but hopefully it'll get you someone who can

Thanks! I'll check it out.

billium01 12-26-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwdz (Post 520729)
Just buy the Audi box that it is and then you don't have to pay the premium associated with the name Porsche. It is widely available in Europe for just a few hundred $$ you can get one out of a FWD diesel A8 or something similar. Or just try this one, it is brand new
New Genuine VW Audi 6 Speed Manual Transmission Longitudinal Mount KTU Code | eBay

Thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't look like it would fit my adapter though : ( Different bellhousing

billium01 12-26-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 520745)
If you want to go the rebuild path I have a 02 6 speed with about 65k on it that needs a rebuild that I can sell for pretty cheap. It has the usual issue with the 2nd gear synchro having gone bad.

thanks Porsche9

I'm really just looking for a low mileage unit though. Roger at CMS said these tranaxles while fairly cheap to attain, are very expensive to rebuild.

billium01 12-26-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 520725)
I saw a rough 914 with a small block Chevy conversion at Lime Rock take top time of day at a time
Trial event over some pretty fancy cars, you're going to have one fast car! Other than actually driving the car with the transmission still in it, buying a rebuilt unit or from someone you trust, I've got nothing to offer. Please post some pictures when it's done!

Thanks PaulE

I think it'll be a great formula too. Probably wont have the opportunity to test a transmission still in the car unless I steal it haha. Its kind of a crapshoot. I'll definitely post some pics here.

Porsche9 12-26-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billium01 (Post 520754)
thanks Porsche9

I'm really just looking for a low mileage unit though. Roger at CMS said these tranaxles while fairly cheap to attain, are very expensive to rebuild.

My experience figure $1,500 to $1,800 for a used unit in decent shape and $3,000 to $4,000 for a rebuild. Second gear on a stock box is going to be an issue with the power that you will putting through the unit.

The guys over at Renegade, they put LS motors into Boxsters, may have some insight into how the 6 speed holds up to a big power increase.

bwdz 12-26-2016 06:37 PM

Seriously, just buy that box in my previous reply. If you manage to blow that one up then you can worry about getting an expensive box and upgrading it but that box is stronger than the Boxster so chances are it will hold up better and it is brand new and under 1k so I don't see how you can go wrong with that.

itsnotanova 12-27-2016 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 520739)
Woody,
Great suggestion to use an expert for the rebuild. Thank you. But the link does not work.Can you fix it for us?
Thank you.

I can't keep the link from doing that? It's Advanced Automotion out of Corpus Christi,TX. The guy who runs it is like the Jake Raby of Audi and VW transmissions. He's very well known in the Audi/VW/Kit car forums.

BrokenLinkage 12-27-2016 01:45 PM

So will that more robust audi/vw tranny mount up in place of the stock 986S 6-speed, or is it just for custom drivetrains?

bwdz 12-27-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage (Post 520875)
So will that more robust audi/vw tranny mount up in place of the stock 986S 6-speed, or is it just for custom drivetrains?

Looks like the starter is in a different position so no it would not be a straight swap. Figured it would work in a custom V8 set up but op seems to already have a specific adapter with the starter probably already cut out. Bolt pattern looks similar and Audi is famous for having a common one (except the VR6 based motors as they had their own) but the starter hole is the problem.

Gelbster 12-27-2016 02:57 PM

Boxster 6 speed interchange Audi 01E

I started searching for Porsche G96+ Audi 01E interchange/parts swap info but found nothing definitive.Maybe the wrong search terms??
Suggest we start a separate thread on this specific issue so we do not hijack the OP?
I am a little skeptical of the Interchange only because in all the G96/6 speed research for the Boxster & 996 I have done, this is the first time the Audi 01E has been proposed as a solution. I am obviously missing something important so forgive my ignorance.
Maybe someone could ask Advanced Automotion? A guy who is billed as the Jake Raby of transmissions really needs a lot more exposure on 986 forum
Thanks for the connection Woody !

Gelbster 12-27-2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwdz (Post 520880)
Looks like the starter is in a different position so no it would not be a straight swap. Figured it would work in a custom V8 set up but op seems to already have a specific adapter with the starter probably already cut out. Bolt pattern looks similar and Audi is famous for having a common one (except the VR6 based motors as they had their own) but the starter hole is the problem.

Just swap bellhousing?

bwdz 12-28-2016 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 520884)
Just swap bellhousing?

They don't unbolt like some transmissions, it's part of the casting of the case

Gelbster 12-28-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwdz (Post 520934)
They don't unbolt like some transmissions, it's part of the casting of the case

see Post 6 above for details