986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help!? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6469)

blinkwatt 06-16-2006 04:21 PM

Help!?

In trying to clean the throttle body on my 99 but am having issues disconnecting a black tube that leads into the intake manifold. How do I lossen it?

blinkwatt 06-16-2006 07:17 PM

Nevermind false alarm,I got it. But another problem occured, one of the four main bolt connecting the throttle body to the intake manifold snapped in half as I was loosing it. Part of the bolt is still inside the spot where it can from in the manifold,can this cause any issues? I started up the car and let it run for 10 minutes with the three other bolts nice and tight with no problems.

specivic 06-16-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Nevermind false alarm,I got it. But another problem occured, one of the four main bolt connecting the throttle body to the intake manifold snapped in half as I was loosing it. Part of the bolt is still inside the spot where it can from in the manifold,can this cause any issues? I started up the car and let it run for 10 minutes with the three other bolts nice and tight with no problems.

now I am no porsche expert but I know w/ hondas if u left it like that, u would eventually get leakage from the TB...Hence, hindering the clean flow of air into your Intake Manifold. to get the bolt out: spray it w/ pb blaster and then try using a screw extractor on it. Depending on how bad the bolt is lodged in there, pb blaster might not be required but that is what I spray every bolt/screw w/ on the ext of my car prior to making any attempt at unbolting/unsrewing anything.

blinkwatt 06-17-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specivic
now I am no porsche expert but I know w/ hondas if u left it like that, u would eventually get leakage from the TB...Hence, hindering the clean flow of air into your Intake Manifold. to get the bolt out: spray it w/ pb blaster and then try using a screw extractor on it. Depending on how bad the bolt is lodged in there, pb blaster might not be required but that is what I spray every bolt/screw w/ on the ext of my car prior to making any attempt at unbolting/unsrewing anything.

What is a pb blaster? I already have the part number for the bolt I need to replace but I still need to get that part of the bolt out before I can fit a new one in it.

EPIQTodd 06-17-2006 06:47 AM

I agree, you need to get that screw out - you will definitely lose some airflow pressure without the throttle body properly set and secured.

specivic 06-18-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What is a pb blaster? I already have the part number for the bolt I need to replace but I still need to get that part of the bolt out before I can fit a new one in it.

pb blaster is a penetrating lubricant. I know that it is available is Canada and the UK but not sure about the US. I have used many penetrating lubricants and finds that this one works the best. u might need to use a bolt/screw extractor (drill bit) to get the broken pt of the bolt out. basically, spray the broken bolt w/ pb blaster or anything but wd40 and leave for a day; spraying every 12 hrs. Then use the bolt extractor to get the bolt out. However, depending on how the bolt snapped, u might just need to use a flatheaded screw driver and unscrew it slowly...patience is really the key for this...just remember that it happens to the best of us...atleast it is on the TB and not the rear lower control arm in a 10yr old canadian Honda!

creseida 06-18-2006 07:34 PM

PB Blaster is available in the US and works great

specivic 06-19-2006 07:38 PM

if u could post a pic of the broken bolt, some of us might be able to give u better guidance.

blinkwatt 06-19-2006 08:36 PM

The part of the bolt that broke off disapperead on me. All is well,I ordered a whole new intermediate shaft where the part of the bolt is stuck(it only cost $14).