986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help choosing the proper oil for my next change (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64612)

BoomerRoadie 12-08-2016 05:50 AM

Help choosing the proper oil for my next change

Hi all,

I will be doing an oil change (1997 Boxster) in January, I'm thinking towards the end of the month. The next 5000 miles should take me to about June. I live in the Phoenix area, so I'll have the cold morning startups on the way to work for a couple months and then some hot trips home at the end of the day in May/June.

I know my mechanic used Pennzoil synthetic last time he changed the oil, but I don't know the weight. This time around I'm going to do the oil change myself. Should be fun!

Can you suggest a good brand/weight for my climate? I'm not married to Pennzoil or Mobile-1 or any other, I'm more interested in know what you think would be a good weight. On the heels of this oil change, the following one would likely go from June to October or so. That's the HOT one.

I'd also be curious what you think about the appropriate oil weights for this car. The manual says 0W40 and one other type I think. I can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe the 0W40 would be good for the change in January???

Anyway, over to you guys for your suggestions.

Thanks!!

schnellman 12-08-2016 06:09 AM

Another Oil Feud?

I have run Mobil 1 0W40 at the Doktor's recommendation for ten years now in my '98. Others are in love with the more expensive oils and will quote all kinds of studies and reports. Porsche says to use Mobil 1 0W40 and it's worked fine for me and the last 100,000 miles. Nothing will start controversy here faster than an oil question or a tire question. I assure you, you're safe in your climate with Mobil 1 0W40. Some will say that the Mobil oil you buy at Walmart is different than that which you buy at a car parts store. I have spoken with the Mobil techs and they assure me there is no difference.
Let the feud begin!

VGM911 12-08-2016 06:11 AM

I'd go with whatever weight your owner's manual specifies. The manufacturer usually knows best since it's their engine.

I agree with schnellman on this one.....Mobil 1 0W-40.

Quadcammer 12-08-2016 06:15 AM

Are you gonna go to the track? If not:

4 quarts Mobil 1 5w-50
5 quarts Mobil 1 0w-40

These are fully miscible and have a very similar if not the same additive pack. Good for cold starts and hotter summer days.

If you track:

full fill of Mobil 1 5w50

Boxtaboy 12-08-2016 06:16 AM

I've been on Mobil 1 0W40 all this time too. Have had my Boxster for 15 yrs now. Original IMS bearing. Still running like a tiger. Why fix it when it ain't broke?

78F350 12-08-2016 06:49 AM

If you don't use Joe Gibbs Driven DT- 40 5W-40, you probably don't love your car.
I just started using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in a couple of mine because it works, it's readily available, and its cheap.
My favorite flavor is Castrol Syntec/Edge, but last time I was at the store it was running about $10/qt locally and that just seemed silly.

There's plenty of info on both, including UOAs fresh and at oil change. I chose what I deem as credible info from here, Rennlist, and Bobistheoilguy

I still have Mobil 1 0W-40 in my 01, but if my '99s don't explode in the next 6 months, it will probably get the Rotella too.
Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Oil in a Porsche. :cheers:

rexcramer 12-08-2016 07:14 AM

+1 on Bob is the Oil Guy website. There is an amazing amount of info there.

kk2002s 12-08-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 518913)
... Some will say that the Mobil oil you buy at Walmart is different than that which you buy at a car parts store. I have spoken with the Mobil techs and they assure me there is no difference.
Let the feud begin!

Guy at AutoZone said the same thing which made me think, do I need to now pay $35/5 qrt jug instead of $25 ???

Only issues I have experienced with Mobil 1 0-40 is start up noise (2-3 seconds). My car has not been started for a couple weeks now so I'm going to be tightening my sittin checks when I do start it.

With my last change in july (I'm due now for change 3k miles) I started a tiny, tiny drip or 2 from the engine/Trans area. Wonder if 0-40 is to thin for 92k mile seals. Car was bone dry until that change.

Gelbster 12-08-2016 07:43 AM

Unbelievable, rational thought and reference to valid resources in an oil Thread !
BITOG for Prez.

BoomerRoadie 12-08-2016 09:04 AM

You guys are hilarious!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 518913)
Let the feud begin!

Ok...I'll add this. I do not drive the track and I do notice the start-ups seems to be loud and metallic sounding. It lasts for maybe 2 seconds.

First, is that sound normal for a 1997 Boxster?
Second, can/should the oil change in weight impact that sound (as in lessening it).

Given this, is the general consensus still 0W40 synthetic?

Again and a gain, many thank to everyone here. Good peeps!

Shred 12-08-2016 09:38 AM

I use Joe Gibbs/Driven DT-40

10/10ths 12-08-2016 09:43 AM

Dt40

DT40....DT40......DT40....:cheers:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Gelbster 12-08-2016 11:41 AM

There is an interesting challenge implied in these Threads that if we responded directly to, may be useful rather than contentious.
"In what critical specification is recommended oil better for the M96 than JGDT40 or Mobil 1?"
Unfortunately it comes down to faith ,not science.

BoomerRoadie 12-08-2016 12:14 PM

Hi again,

This is getting confusing now....

I spoke to my mechanic about doing the oil change. He encouraged it, gave me a few pointers and said I should stick with an A40 type oil in either 5W40 or 5W50. He personally uses Total Motor Oil 5W40 for all his clients. He said it has zinc added to the oil and his studies show it improves long term wear. Again, I live in Arizona. I'm not sure how much of an impact that really is...

But he said, if I were you doing my own oil change this weekend, I'd just go get Mobil 1 synthetic in one of those weights and you'll be good.

Ok fine.....

So when I search Amazon for Mobil 1 5W40, I can only find it in the 1 quart packs. Same goes for the 5W50. I guess that's not a huge problem....Same goes for Pennzoil.

The Total Motor oil is twice the price as Mobil 1 and about the same as DT40.

You guys count here....are you still cool with a 5W40 or 5W50 synthetic oil and it NOT be one of the fancy brands?

particlewave 12-08-2016 12:44 PM

I run Mobil 1 0w40 or 5w50 synthetic A40, depending on the season. Being in AZ, either 5w40 or 50 is a good choice.

VGM911 12-08-2016 12:46 PM

BoomerRoadie,

Have you asked your Porsche dealer what they use when they do oil changes?

78F350 12-08-2016 12:50 PM

I made my decision based on lots of reading of other people's knowledge, internet hype, and a desire not to waste money. It was not because of anything I know or have experienced.
0W oils seem to be more about maximizing mpg and meeting emissions standards rather than protecting engines from wear.
Oil formulations change, so what you read from five years ago about an oil, might not still be correct today. >Have they been changed to benefit the consumer?
Everything that I have read about JGDT40 leads me to believe that it is an excellent choice, but is marketed to a price point above it's value.
I made my choice to use Shell Rotella T6 5W40 based on consistent reviews from people who analyzed it long term and showed good composition and low engine wear. No doubt there are better oils, but it is good and easy for me to acquire.
For you, Boomer', with one Boxster to dump oil in, I choose Castrol Edge 5W-50. :D

rexcramer 12-08-2016 12:55 PM

If you live in the ridicuously hot parts of AZ, you can move up to the 5W40. If you spend any amount of time in excessively colder areas, stick with the 0W40.

All of the higher priced oils, i.e. Gibbs DT40, Motul ot Total are excellent products. They all have higher levels of Zinc in them that have been proven to be a beneift to the M96 engines. If you can afford them, use them. Some people do an oil flush, prior to upgarding to the pricey stuff first. Check each manufactuer for a suitable flush oil. It is usually a break-in oil. But that adds another oil change and filter to the cost.

If you are on a budget, use the Mobil 1. If you think your engine is suspect, send an oil sample to a testing lab and get an idea whats in your oil now. I use Blackstone. I also use Mobil 1 0W40 from Walmart.

Having typed all that, Release the hounds...:D

JayG 12-08-2016 01:52 PM

Lots of different flavor Kool-Aid to drink....

M1 0W-40 is a factory recommended oil
Walmart sell 5 quart jugs for around $25

I recently on the recommendation of people I know that track their cars and now use Motul 8100 Xcess 5W=40 It also is on the Porsche approved list It run=s around $125 for 20 LITERS on Amazon including shipping. That makes is just slightly more $ than M1. It definitely is better for the stress tracking puts on the engine than M1.

DT-40 is highly recommended on the forums by a specific engine builder and not on the approved list It is about double the $ than the others. Also DT-40 IS NOT recommended for track use

Running oil meant for Diesel engines is not recommended due the that additive package may not be good for our engines

Unless you are in sub freezing temps, 0W -40 has no advantage over 5W-40

Drink what ever kool-aid you like
YMMV

JFP in PA 12-08-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 518983)
Running oil meant for Diesel engines is not recommended due the that additive package may not be good for our engines

Says who?.......................