Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:08 AM   #1

Key - Not very user friendly

Has anyone else noticed the buttons on the key are really hard to use. There is no feel if the button is actually being compressed or not and they are so small that I always hit the wrong one. I try to release the hood and I lock the car, then I try to release the trunk and the hood goes up etc....

Just really annoying. You would think with a car this expensive they could do a better design job. My Touareg key works great, even the buttons on my wife's Explorer are much more user friendly than the Porsche.

Anyone else experience this??

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #2

First people want cupholders, then trunk latches inside the car, now better lock buttons on the ignition key. They're gonna want the RMS thing fixed next.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
First people want cupholders, then trunk latches inside the car, now better lock buttons on the ignition key. They're gonna want the RMS thing fixed next.
I agree. People are demanding way too much in a car that only costs $50K-60K. Where will it end?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #4

LOL

Hey, speaking of keys, I want to replace the batteries in both my keys even though they both still work... exactly how long do I have to swap batteries before they need reprogramming?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

I replaced the battery of my key awhile back and didn't need it to be reprogrammed.
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #6

yeah same here guy changed the battery at the dealer parts desk and didn't charge me.
He said if I was going to get a new key programmed (have one new one with colored crest waiting to be broken in) to bring in all the spare keys at once because there is a one time charge for all sets of keys.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #7

Randall, I just swaped both batteries on both keys. Supposedly it is 10 seconds, I did it under that, and they both worked fine. I just had the new battery ready in the right position and swaped them out quickly. It was like a race, real fun stuff
Old 06-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #8

My only problems with the 987 key are:

1. Buttons aren't recessed, too easily pressed--I've been in a restaurant with my car parked right outside and when I come out, I'll find that the trunk's popped because my wallet was on top of my keys in my pocket.

2. No seperate buttons for lock and unlock. I have to stare at the car to verify that I've actually locked rather than unlocked it. Not as convenient as the other cars I've driven where I can get out, press the "lock" button and be pretty sure that the little "snick" I heard was the doors locking.

Some may laugh about #2, but really--how many times do you press the "lock" button on your remotes "just to be sure", or you're walking away and think "did I lock the doors?" and then want to hit "lock" again? On a 987 you turn around, stare at the car, hit the lock/unlock button and wait for the lights to blink at you to tell you whether the car is now locked or unlocked.

Oh well. I wouldn't expect Porsche to get any little details right. They only seem to do the "driving experience" thing properly from what I can tell--everything else that's right with the car seems to happen by luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
bmussatti

Key works fine here!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
My only problems with the 987 key are:

1. Buttons aren't recessed, too easily pressed--I've been in a restaurant with my car parked right outside and when I come out, I'll find that the trunk's popped because my wallet was on top of my keys in my pocket.

2. No seperate buttons for lock and unlock. I have to stare at the car to verify that I've actually locked rather than unlocked it. Not as convenient as the other cars I've driven where I can get out, press the "lock" button and be pretty sure that the little "snick" I heard was the doors locking.

Some may laugh about #2, but really--how many times do you press the "lock" button on your remotes "just to be sure", or you're walking away and think "did I lock the doors?" and then want to hit "lock" again? On a 987 you turn around, stare at the car, hit the lock/unlock button and wait for the lights to blink at you to tell you whether the car is now locked or unlocked.

Oh well. I wouldn't expect Porsche to get any little details right. They only seem to do the "driving experience" thing properly from what I can tell--everything else that's right with the car seems to happen by luck.

My thoughts exactly Eslai!
smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 PM   #11

Eslai, I no longer have this "is it locked or not?" problem.

I had an aftermarket stereo installed and now the horn beeps when I lock the car as if the oddments tray or one of the trunks has been left ajar.

It was the best accidental mod I have done to the car to date!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #12

Anyone know how to do this without getting a new radio? I would LOVE this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I had an aftermarket stereo installed and now the horn beeps when I lock the car as if the oddments tray or one of the trunks has been left ajar.

rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

Hahaha nice!

rteichman: One way to obtain this effect would be to leave your glovebox open. The car will honk at you when you lock it. Not ideal, I know, just a thought though.

But, if you wanted to rig up the wire that's connected to the glovebox you could make the car think that that glovebox is always open. I do forget though as to whether or not the alarm system, IR sensors and all that stuff are all fully operational if the car senses something that triggers the honk when you arm it.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #14

I'm thinking that pulling the center console and disconnecting the wire to the oddments tray (stupid translation for center console, huh?) will do it just fine. It's reversable, and I dont' think anyone cares if their oddment tray is "armed" because it has a lock on it.

A possibly easier way might be to pull the Porsche radio and find the wire responsible for it and cut it... it could always be spliced back together in ten minutes if you sell the car.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #15

Hmm... the 987 has a glove compartment and a compartment under the center console's armrest--are you talking about that one? if so, the 987 does not have a locking center console armrest (which would be nice, why'd they delete that!?!), only a locking glovebox.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #16

Hmmm. I guess since they had a locking glove box they saw no reason to put a lock on the center console (oddments tray).

Be thankful it doesn't have a lock on it. I got into my 150 degree boxster yesterday after work and burned my right forearm on the doggone thing. Really surprised me it was so hot.

You could make out the key hole impression on my arm. Really!