986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best engine/trans cleaner?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64051)

bcinphx 10-29-2016 10:12 AM

Best engine/trans cleaner??

I have purple degreaser but, it is dangerous on paint. Want to clean underside of engine and trans but, can't run the risk of getting any on paint. Ask me how I know. I have a lift and pressure washer. What is out there that will get old, heavy caked-on grime off and not harm paint?
Thanks,

fastflyer 10-29-2016 02:25 PM

I use spray on Simple Green. Spray it on your engine then agitate with a one inch paint brush with the bristles cut a little short to make them stiffer. I rinse with a small watering can instead of a hose so it doesn't make a big mess. Works great.

Smallblock454 10-29-2016 03:28 PM

Your engine is made of alloy. That is why it is coated with a brown wax. And everything made of alloy else is also coated with that wax, because alloy corrodes. If you remove the wax the alloy will corrode.

Regards, Markus

Deserion 10-29-2016 06:15 PM

Spray bottle with undiluted Simple Green, and another sprayer with water. Works for me. :)

Pdwight 10-29-2016 08:18 PM

What I did

Waited until the engine was stone cold in the middle of a summer day. Sprayed a mild soapy solution to break up dirt and dust.....finished with pressure washer but I never pulled the trigger.....jut the little soft spray. I avoided wiring as much as possible and let dry for 4 hour before starting car up. Harsh cleaners like the purple one are very aggressive and can shorten the lives of seals and other things....use carefully.

bcinphx 10-29-2016 08:31 PM

Thanks guys, I really want to get the grime and the grease off the bottom of the transmission and the motor - not so much on the top. It's. Caked up pretty bad from POs who did not fix leaks. And now just replaced the AOS which sprung a leak. I didn't realize that I might remove the special coating.

itsnotanova 10-30-2016 05:29 AM

X3 for simple green

bcinphx 10-30-2016 05:36 AM

Thanks WOODY and thanks guys, I think I will be using simple and a garden hose first. Woody, SpecboxCO never got back to me on the cup holders.
Woody, got a good lower AOS vent hose? Clip on mine broke and I did not think I can engineer a temp fix. Plus, the intake duct for my 02 S has as separation on the hose for the resonator. I will try to silicone it but, it may not hold.

aczyzewski 10-30-2016 03:13 PM

Another thought: would not a few rags and elbow grease do the trick? It would seem worth a go.