Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #1

Please Help! Radiator Leak Affecting Pwr Steering!!!

Dear enthusiasts:

My 99 Boxster had a radiator leak last Friday that drained all the way. So, I filled it up with tap water just to make it home from work. About 20 minutes of driving, I notice the temp rising beyong 180. Then the light on the temp meter started blinking followed by the ABS and Battery light coming on. Finally, my steering 'hardened' as if the power steering died.

Stopped the car to find all the water drained from the radiator. Do bear in mind that the temp was 3/4 ways to the max. Finally bought some coolant and radiator sealant and drove home. On reaching home, I had fumes comig out of both vents. I guess from the coolant dripping on the engine.

Left it for a day but the ABS and battery light is still on and steering had no improvements. Tried to disconnect the battery to no avail.

Please advice on what to expect before I had it towed to the closest dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #2

Are you sure the serpentine belt did not break? This would cause the alternator light and power steering to become stiff. Also, which radiator is leaking?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #3

"Please advice on what to expect before I had it towed to the closest dealer."

I hope that you didnt crack the engine's head by driving the car with low coolant. Remember, ALL newer cars usually have Aluminum engines. Aluminum engines can easily crack with erratic high temps(low coolant). A fairly simple Cooling system (Radiator, Reservoir, hoses, thermostat, water pump...) problem MIGHT have escalated to a major engine disaster...OUCH $$$....

Whatever happens, have the mechanic do a compression check on all cylinders

GoodLuck!
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #4

Hi,

I agree with Doc, it's the Sepentine Belt. When did you last change it? If this breaks, all the ancillaries (Water Pump, Power Steering, Alternator) stop working. This is what caused your car to overheat and overflow, not leak. I doubt seriously that it's anyting else. Easy DIY Fix. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote