986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bimmer drivers question their manhood?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63325)

fanguy 09-26-2016 07:15 PM

Bimmer drivers question their manhood??

So today driving my Boxster down a very smooth toll road doing 75 in a 70. The few cars behind me are way back. The next thing I know a BMW fly’s buy me pulls into my lane zig zags the gets in left hand lane and slow down so were side by side and acts like he wants to race. I continue with my 75 and then realized it's his exit and hits the brakes and smokes a little. I go on 5 min later another BMW wants to play I ignore him also and he makes a fast get away. Never had the happen before, the really funny thing my daily driver is a 2015 BMW and no Porsche ever acted like that.

imon_2nd 09-26-2016 07:46 PM

I don't know what it is about BMW drivers. Around here, NorCal, I see at least one fast weaver in a beemer on the highway every week. CHiPs loves to pull those guys over, but it hasn't reduced the frequency. The only other brand/model that is noticeably wacky on a regular basis is the modified Honda Civic hatchback.

rexcramer 09-26-2016 07:59 PM

+1 on the wacky Honda drivers with there overly loud soup can exhaust systems/tips.

flaps10 09-27-2016 09:14 AM

He was just trying to see if the porcupine joke is true.

Converse986Black 09-27-2016 11:47 AM

Being a BMW and a Porsche owner, I just have a love for the cars. Perhaps I'm too old to have the desire to be a gnat to a driver who's just enjoying their drive. Somehow I always thought it was the younger drivers who acted this way but I have witnessed older drivers act the same way--perhaps trying to recapture their youth.

cas951 09-27-2016 01:52 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1475013094.jpg

Giller 09-27-2016 02:31 PM

BMW's are EVERYWHERE now. Seems like everyone has a beemer....no originality left out there. So yeah, with that many on the road....some drivers will be dinks. There are a number of Porsche owners who aren't much better.
Ever try to talk to a hardcore 911 owner? Painful!

Burg Boxster 09-27-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 511412)

:D :cheers: :D :cheers: :D

Hysterical!

(full disclosure... one of those marques currently resides in my stable)

Pdwight 09-27-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 511414)
BMW's are EVERYWHERE now. Seems like everyone has a beemer....no originality left out there. So yeah, with that many on the road....some drivers will be dinks. There are a number of Porsche owners who aren't much better.
Ever try to talk to a hardcore 911 owner? Painful!

Agreed they are everywhere, however as a BMW owner II understand why...good cars. My wife and I attended a car show last year in Nashville....the reason you see so many...you can drive a 3 series for within 15% the price of a Ford or a Chevy

Giller 09-27-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 511422)
Agreed they are everywhere, however as a BMW owner II understand why...good cars. My wife and I attended a car show last year in Nashville....the reason you see so many...you can drive a 3 series for within 15% the price of a Ford or a Chevy

There's no doubt the BMW is a good car - but that 15% is still a lot of cake. There are many people and reviews out there that would argue the Ford Fusion for example is a better car than the 3 series. Heck, Top Gear was one of them, and they kinda knew their stuff.
But again, not saying there's anything wrong with the BMW - jut lots of cheaper options that actually rank as high or higher in quality and customer satisfaction.

jpl2407 09-28-2016 05:26 AM

I love BMW's, and have had many (mostly older E36's), I regret, to this day getting rid of my 840, I think every marque has its fair share of knobs, just the other day I had the same type of thing with a C4 corvette, I looked over and waved at the old gent, he just sneered and floored it.

Pdwight 09-28-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpl2407 (Post 511467)
I love BMW's, and have had many (mostly older E36's), I regret, to this day getting rid of my 840, I think every marque has its fair share of knobs, just the other day I had the same type of thing with a C4 corvette, I looked over and waved at the old gent, he just sneered and floored it.

My 1998 323IS E36 has been the best car I have ever owned in my 60 years...easy to work on, parts are cheap....cheap and plentiful.

Finnegan 09-28-2016 03:55 PM

My 1972 bmw 2002 was the only car that I've owned that handled anywhere near as well as the Box. Perfect balance, and a light weight chasis.. Yum.

alynch 09-28-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnegan (Post 511546)
My 1972 bmw 2002 was the only car that I've owned that handled anywhere near as well as the Box. Perfect balance, and a light weight chasis.. Yum.

+1

I had a '72 round taillight as well. A blast to drive and easy to work on. Sometimes I really miss the good old days ... but I don't miss not having A/C in the summer!

Finnegan 09-28-2016 05:23 PM

Yeah, I miss mine too. It was my DD at the time, and the kid-hauler. I decided anti-lock brakes and airbags might be a good idea.

alynch 09-28-2016 06:56 PM

My youngest two sat in the back seat shouting go faster, go faster Daddy and we were only driving about 40 miles an hour. It just seemed faster in that car with the windows rolled down. My oldest daughter sat in the passenger seat and I let her change gear while I operated the clutch. Old cars and old memories. You can't beat them.

Racer Boy 09-28-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnegan (Post 511553)
Yeah, I miss mine too. It was my DD at the time, and the kid-hauler. I decided anti-lock brakes and airbags might be a good idea.

Yes, newer cars really are safer. I used to race with a guy that ran a 2002, and he spun and backed into a wall. It wasn't a huge hit, but he really got banged up because the stock seat mounts ripped right out of the chassis and the seat bounced around inside the car. Afterwards, I was looking at the car and was kind of amazed at how thin the sheet metal was that the seat mounts were made from.

Now every time I see a 2002, I think, "That is not a very safe car!"

Back to the OP, the only time anyone has wanted to race me was a guy driving a newer M3. We were in stop-and-go traffic! What were we going to do, race up to 5 mph? That would be the only race that the Boxster might have a chance of winning against a V8 M3.

flaps10 09-29-2016 02:52 PM

I was on the freeway this morning when I noticed an african american guy about my age (old) driving a white corvette convertible. Me, a cracker in my black boxster - top down as always.

We had a good time for about 10 miles with no questions of manhood. It was awesome.

cas951 10-13-2016 07:18 PM

More BMW driver humor.
Watch a BMW Driver Attempt to Pass and Fail Miserably - Motor Trend

mgfranz 10-13-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpl2407 (Post 511467)

Shame on you for walking away from the 8 series! One of those is on my dream list... However, we own both the 986, a E64 and a E38 as well as a B7, and as a previous owner of a E34, they are all true driving machines. The fact that BMWUSA is practically giving away the base 3 series makes is humorous to those among us who are true car lovers and not just playing with daddy's $$. Though I will plead the 5th when it comes to doing a little taunting I know when it's time to just leave them all behind. ;-)