986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hot air to the neck in a 986 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63305)

barthol 09-25-2016 07:28 AM

Hot air to the neck in a 986 Boxster

Hi

in many newer cabs there is a possibility to blow warm air to the neck of the passenger /driver.
Is there any similar solution for a 99 boxster?

BR
Kim

n559br 09-25-2016 09:13 AM

I think it depends on how open minded your wife is.

steved0x 09-25-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n559br (Post 511228)
I think it depends on how open minded your wife is.

Or how hot it is outside... :)

I don't think the 986 has any blown air heat or cool options for the seats. You can get heated seats, and with the windscreen up it does a decent job of keeping the outside air off you.

Ion 09-25-2016 11:02 AM

Hi Kim,

If your neck is getting cold, do you have a wind screen installed between the seats? If not I'd suggest adding one as it will make top down driving more comfortable.

If you don't have a windscreen installed, the air blows back to front against the back of your neck, blowing your hair (or in my case beard) forward. It is some what counter intuitive, but it's caused by the low pressure air in the cockpit relative to the higher pressure wind flowing over the car. If you have a wind screen installed and the windows are up, air should flow over the car and above your head and things are generally pretty calm in the cockpit, even on the freeway.

thstone 09-25-2016 01:33 PM

No. At least not without a lot of custom work.

The Mercedes AirScarf and BMW Neck Warmer have vents built into the seats and controls for airflow and temp. Seems like it would be quite a bit of work to duplicate this or something close to it.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9yalpfaj.jpg

tomonomics 09-26-2016 10:06 AM

Buy a 'heating' scarf for $15 (US), they have two or three pockets built in so you can insert those instant hand warmer packs.

The HotHands packs are .60 cents each when bought in bulk, and last 12-15 hours. For less than $2 per day trip, your neck will be toasty. And you can wear it outside the car as well.

No mods to car needed, just leave the scarf and a dozen heat packs behind the seat.

Rok986 09-26-2016 10:22 AM

I know what you mean...running with the top down in cooler weather, everything is warm except head/neck area. Would love it to have the heater be able to blow some warm air there! Took a road trip up the coast from california to oregon with the wife last month and half the time her head was wrapped up and looked like we had just robbed a bank or something!

RandallNeighbour 09-27-2016 06:19 AM

Here in Sauna City, USA this is just about the last problem I can think of to solve in my boxster.

I'm jealous just reading posts about how you want seat heaters and neck warmers!!!

Rok986 09-27-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 511371)
Here in Sauna City, USA this is just about the last problem I can think of to solve in my boxster.

I'm jealous just reading posts about how you want seat heaters and neck warmers!!!

Haha...well, if there's ever a solution to get neck warmers, I don't see why it can't be rigged to be a neck cooler!

Porsche9 09-27-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 511371)

Here in Phoenix neck coolers would be nice.

Froggo 09-27-2016 12:04 PM

I can see where Randall is coming from . We were in Austin just a few weeks ago ,it got to 46C on occasion , if I had my Boxster there I don't think I would have had the hood down at all.Back home here now its a much more manageable 4C .

lkchris 09-28-2016 05:58 PM

I think this first appeared on the 2005 Mercedes SLK if not on earlier SLs. Not sure about BMW.

In any event, it requires an electric heating element and a blower and ducting all contained within the seat.

Porsche seats are a lot more lightweight than the seats in the others and there would seem little room for these components.

I wonder whether these have been offered for later Porsches.