Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

A new flap found

Well in putting up my top yesterday on my 01S I saw a flap by the widow seam on the drivers side I have never seen before. A small flap that ran the vertical distance of the window on the passenger side ??? WTH

So it was getting dark and I just locked the car up..today I found it folds neatly inside the liner....I suppose it just slipped out and has always been there ????

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Dwight besides the glass window and extra bow, the 2003 top is a little different than the 2001 in other ways, but in these pictures you can see the flaps that I had to re-sew into the top on my 2003 - they go into the seam between the plastic covered cable at the edge of the top and the canvas. They have Velcro and wrap around the "Push Bars" that are the sides of the top frame. The string is another thing that periodically requires some attention, I believe it is called the "Fold Placer." I got rid of the little eared pieces that screw into the Push Bars and used some small plastic washers for that. The ends of the Fold Placer are also sewn around the screw so they no longer come apart. If this isn't your issue sorry!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

I need to get a pic

Could be the top just losing integrity, but I thought it was in good condition. I want to install a top with a rear glass window in the future ...I understand you need a 2004 frame ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Could be the top just losing integrity, but I thought it was in good condition. I want to install a top with a rear glass window in the future ...I understand you need a 2004 frame ??
You only need a 2004+ frame if you are going to use a 2004+ top. They make glass window replacement tops for the earlier frames. I have one on my car, I love it.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #5

Garage
Qwight, There are 2 routes you can go.
1. buy a 2002 and earlier top with a glass window. Advantages; it's cheaper and less work than option 2, and you'll have a top with a glass rear window. Disadvantages; you'll have slightly less room to access the engine bay.
2. buy an 03-04 frame and top. Advantages; you'll have the roofline of the 03-04 cars, and the extra hoop in the frame gives you better access to the engine bay. Disadvantages; Costs more time and money, and the 03-04 frames can be tough to get hold of.

In the end, no more "Boxster Chop".
Keep in mind; with either option, the glass window is smaller than the plastic rear window you have now.

Tony

Last edited by amagalla; 09-26-2016 at 06:48 AM.
amagalla is offline   Reply With Quote