Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Clutch ignition switch

First of all a big THANK YOU to all on this forum. Saved me a ton of time and money.
Last week or so my 1997 Boxster (52386) original miles, would not start sometimes. I mean nada. So I came to the forum, and it was the ignition cut-out switch on the clutch.
Replaced it with new one, worked fine for a few days, and back to the original problem. Funny thing is, I took it off the clutch, and manually held it down, bingo starts everytime.
Any ideas? Could there be a piece missing off the clutch pedal. It is simply screwed to the clutch rod at the top where the cruise control switch is located.
Many thanks in advance for any advice!

fahmasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

It is not unheard of to get a bad switch. They are cheaply made. I'd swap it out again and see if that fixes it.

If you still have problems, then I'd start looking for an intermittant connection in the wiring.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #3

There was a time (before the Audi fiasco) when we all managed very well without such switches. If you feel confident enough just use a jumper to bypass the temperamental switch ? In those days ,driving was still regarded as a skill to be learned and practiced with care .Now .......maybe a bypass is not such a good idea. Depends also on who else drives the car. If this was an old 911 or 914 - you wouldn't have this problem !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

Clutch switch

Many thanks for the response. Took your advice and bypassed the switch with a jumper.
So far so good!
fahmasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

I jumpered mine 2-1/2 years ago and the faulty switch sat on my desk collecting dust, waiting for me to open it up to try to repair rather than buy a new one - (I'm a cheapskate...)

Never fixed it, never replaced it.

Plus it made the car feel just a little bit "vintage"....
germaneighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

I believe that the ROW cars don't come out with the clutch interlock switch - only in the USA?
My Australian model certainly doesn't have it....