Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
On the slippery slope

Garage
Performance Driving School (PDS) in San Diego

The San Diego region of PCA is having one of its semi-annual PDS Sept.23-25
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-sdr-performance-driving-school-qualcomm-stadium-san-diego-731136

If you have never done a PDS, it is probably the best $$ and time you can spend in a Porsche. You will be amazed at how great our cars are and how well they perform

The San Diego PDS is known as one of the best in the country

There are only a few slots left

SDR is one of the most active PCA regions and puts on some of the best events in the country

IMHO it is well worth traveling a bit for the PDS. You will not only have too much fun, you will leave with amazing confidence on driving your car. It is more than just a car control clinic. You get lots of 1 on 1 instruction from some of the best instructors anywhere.

Friday night is a 2-3 hour classroom chalk talk that goes over the mechanics of driving and what will be covered on Sat and Sun. All day Sat are driving exercises including a lot of time on a wet skid pad as well as things like threshold braking. On Sunday you put it all together with a non-competitive autocross designed by some of the best AX course designers around. You also get to ride in the instructors cars including some full race prepped cars.

My younger son did the PDS last March and my older son will be taking the PDS this time as it it so worthwhile. Next time will be my wife.

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I would highly encourage Boxster owners to do an event like this! Regardless of where you live, there is probably something within reasonable driving distance. Its safe, relatively easy, tons of fun, you'll learn a lot, and have the most fun you've ever had in a car.

Ok, well maybe not THE most fun you've ever had in a car, but you know what I mean.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

Tom, you were right the first time, it IS the most fun you can have with your Porsche for 2+ days in a row.

Photo's from 2012
https://goo.gl/photos/g3M9qrM7bJrYTCR4A

Its not even just the cars, the people are really nice too and you will make some friends.

Its not hard on the car so a little blue tape around the bumper and wheel wells and you should not get a scratch.

I personally had NO tape on my car and hit dozens of cones and miraculously I could not find a scratch. Those are some really soft cones apparently as I plowed into those cones at over 30 mph going sideways, backwards and forwards.

No significant tire wear on some new Hankook V12's either.

The best part is you will learn to handle your car in some of the most demanding circumstances and save your car and yourself from what would otherwise be a bad accident. You will learn amazing feats of hazard avoidance.

Insurance companies might also accept that training for a discount on your rates.

The only downside to the course is that you will discover you have some serious driving skills in your Porsche and end up going racing afterwards.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Hey I know those people! It is a great event and I am looking forward to instructing again this year. See ya on the skid pad...