986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Racing in the rain (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62822)

RedTele58 08-19-2016 08:42 AM

Racing in the rain

4 Attachment(s)
Well.. How about DE'ing in the rain?

Here's a few pictures from the Cimarron Region Summer Sizzler a couple of weekends back.

It was my first experience with a wet track. Stay off the kerbing. Brake earlier. Don't brake as aggressive. Be smoooooth!

Had a blast! :D

steved0x 08-19-2016 09:18 AM

Those wheels look great, I remember your previous threads about them but somehow this is the first time I had seen them on the car.

Porsche9 08-19-2016 09:49 AM

Look like a lot of fun!

The chance of it raining on a DE here in Phoenix is slim to none but sure would be fun.

seningen 08-19-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 507185)
Look like a lot of fun!

The chance of it raining on a DE here in Phoenix is slim to none but sure would be fun.

Had the Boxster out in a torrential down pour at CoTA.

Both a blast and harrowing at the same time....

The thought of racking up a guardrail bill greater than the value of the Boxster tempered my right foot for sure.

#carcontrol

Mike

steved0x 08-19-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 507186)
The thought of racking up a guardrail bill greater than the value of the Boxster tempered my right foot for sure.

That would be scary, I heard that if you crash there the first person to get to you isn't the rescue team, but the person with the bill for the damage to the track.

Ben006 08-19-2016 10:21 AM

I don't have much experience on track, but I really enjoyed my only wet session! It's both scary and slow at the same time!

itsnotanova 08-19-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 507187)
That would be scary, I heard that if you crash there the first person to get to you isn't the rescue team, but the person with the bill for the damage to the track.

I was at an event there and a spec guy got a $3000 bill and he didn't even hit the wall. He came so close to the wall that an official of the track thought he scraped it. After he showed them that his car didn't even have a scratch on it, they voided the bill. I'm going to take my boxster out to COTA once and that's all.

seningen 08-19-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 507203)
I was at an event there and a spec guy got a $3000 bill and he didn't even hit the wall. He came so close to the wall that an official of the track thought he scraped it. After he showed them that his car didn't even have a scratch on it, they voided the bill. I'm going to take my boxster out to COTA once and that's all.

In all seriousness -- COTA is an extremely safe track -- there is a ton of run off everywhere.

You can certainly loose it and pick up a bill -- but I've also heard that because of the safer barriers they use -- the damage to your car is often minimized.

You might pick up a $2000 bill -- but save $10K in car damages.

Mike

Racer Boy 08-19-2016 02:56 PM

Yes, it is all about smoothness in the wet, but you can still brake surprisingly hard.

Also, you can run slightly off the normal line to get more grip, depending on how long it has been raining (if it's rained for a bit of time, the oil and clack will be washed of the surface). If you are off line where the asphalt hasn't been "polished" on an old surface, you'll get more grip.

thstone 08-19-2016 04:38 PM

Great pics!

Yes, track driving in the rain can be a lot of fun. Its easy to practice your Top Gear drifting sideways through every corner technique!

Video?