Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

installed hard top spin locks today- PIA !!!

So about 5 months ago I came across a local hard top for sale and it was painted arctic silver to match my car so I bought it . For some reason I couldn't pull the trigger on spending 100.00 for spin locks A forum member turned me on to a used set for 33.00 so I bought them. Today I decided to install them. I had read previous posts on what a PIA they are to install but I think they underestimated . Man that is some tight confines to get your hands and tooling into to get the screws installed . Porsche you couldn't design a simple access cover ????? Anyway after sweating like a pig, swearing like a sailor and a no quit attitude they are done ! I did take off the interior corner carpeted piece and gently persuaded the top trim piece and with a Chapman setup and the screw taped to the Chapman extension I got them started without cross threading and got them tight. I will never ever remove them !!! I lowered the top with the winch setup that came with the hardtop and got it installed with no help. She looks good and fits good . I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. My hands/arms look like I had sex with a badger they are so scratched up

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Damn rfuerst911sc! As the idiot who turned you on to those used spin locks, I feel at least partly responsible for what you just went through!

I would have been happy to come over (I'm right here in Smyrna) and help you install them. I just installed a set in my car a few weeks ago, so I have the tools and the procedure down now. I think I could have saved you a bunch of aggravation and, you know, having everyone think you had sex with a badger. I couldn't have saved you all that sweating though - I can't remember when I have sweated that much as when I put those spin locks in! Tight spaces and 95 F heat do not go well together!

Glad you got them in, and looking forward to seeing your Boxster with the hard top on.

Last edited by BirdDog; 08-13-2016 at 09:22 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Birddog we need to get together I may just buy those headlight seals from you ! It was OK installing these today it was just frustrating that's all . I am grateful for the cost savings and she's done so all is well .
Seriously I may attack the headlights tomorrow so I may hook up with you on those seals .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 08-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

Welcome to the club. Yes the spin locks are a PITA. You need little ninja hands to get those spinlocks in. The end result is worth it!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #5

rfuerst911sc - I should be around all day tomorrow so give me a call or shoot me a PM.

I was thinking of running down to Summit Racing this weekend to pick up a case of oil. I'm planning to drive to Huntsville next weekend (for the Huntsville Hamfest) and I'd like to get an oil change in before then. Had a blast driving through the mountain back roads to it last year.

Summit is open 7 days a week and I hate traffic, so I'll probably make the run down there on Sunday. Might stop in at the Peachtree Peddlers flea market while I'm down there.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

BirdDog you available tomorrow ? I didn't remove my headlights today but I stuck my fingernail into each seal and mine are soft goo .
Old 08-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

rfuerst911sc, do you have fixed back race seats? I do, and they are floor mounted with no sliders and they are pretty far back. Do you think.i have to remove them to install the spinlocks?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

steved0x if your seatbacks are in line with the receptacle for the spinlock I think you're going to want to remove your seats. The Phillips head screw towards the bottom of the interior panel that has to be removed will also be tough to get to with a fixed seat installed. And you need some room to maneuver that panel as it has a spike on the bottom that goes into the floor and a clip in the middle that slides down into a slot so it will be easier to get out without the seat in the way. A few weeks ago I dropped a washer in there on the driver's side while removing my BK roll bar extension, and went in there to get it out this afternoon, so I relived some of my own and rfuerst911sc's pain with installing the spinlocks.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Uggg... Well I got a new Hans ready harness with 2" shoulder belts so maybe time for the seat to come our dual purpose mission
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 AM   #10

stevedOx you would have to be a circus freak to reach that area without removing the fixed back seats . My seats are flip forward OEM and with them flipped forward and slid all the way to the front I barely had room to maneuver . I am 5 ' 10 " and 220 lbs. so not huge by any means it is just a very awkward area to work. In hindsight removing the seats would have made it easier .
Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #11

Ha. Been there. Porsche could have installed some type of receiver when that section was welded together. Now you said it was a PITA. Lets talk about changing the ignition switch.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

Garage
Did you have all the problems even with the gimmick of a plastic bag? Smething aout hold the screws on the driver by placing the whole thing in a baggie or something. My car had the spinlocks - I skipped the sex with a badger.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #13

I just installed spinlock adapters on my 2001 Boxeter, to help secure my new hardtop.

The top had to go down and up several times, hardest part was removing and reinstalling the carpeted side trim pieces (carefully without breaking anything), which after being removed and with the top almost all the way up, gave very good access to the spinlock adapter's retaining bolts.

I found the "baggie trick" not only unnecessary, but more trouble than it's worth, since the bag material gets in the way of the bolt, and too easily pinched. I had good results just being careful with a long-handled Allen wrench to get the bolt started. I then had good results using a 3/8" drive torque wrench, extension, and 5mm allen bit to get the specified 16-2/3 ft-lbs torque. Decided to use anti-seize, too.

I didn't end up getting so much as a scratch on my arm like rfuerst911sc, so not sure what that's about?

This "how to" shows good detail how the carpeted side pieces are held in place:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/110-preparing-a-boxster-for-a-hardtop/

Last edited by jakeru; 03-11-2017 at 10:07 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote