Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

How tall do you have to be for the OEM rollbar to be a problem?

Hi All!

I found an absolute gem of Boxster recently and I'm hoping to purchase this week. It's a 2000 S model with 64k miles. Not planning on doing IMS upgrade as that would be 50% of the cars value.

Question for you. I plan to daily and track the car for some fun on the weekends. I'm about 6ft tall and I'm worried with a helmet on I won't pass the broomstick test with the original rollbars. I was looking to get the roll bar extension to run with PCA HPDE's, but I'm not sure that the extra 1 3/4" it provides is enough for the broomstick test either since you need 2" clearance from the rollbar to your helmet.

Can anyone calm my nerves before I take the leap on buying? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks very much all! Cheers!

Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Hi All!

I found an absolute gem of Boxster recently and I'm hoping to purchase this week. It's a 2000 S model with 64k miles. Not planning on doing IMS upgrade as that would be 50% of the cars value.

Question for you. I plan to daily and track the car for some fun on the weekends. I'm about 6ft tall and I'm worried with a helmet on I won't pass the broomstick test with the original rollbars. I was looking to get the roll bar extension to run with PCA HPDE's, but I'm not sure that the extra 1 3/4" it provides is enough for the broomstick test either since you need 2" clearance from the rollbar to your helmet.

Can anyone calm my nerves before I take the leap on buying? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks very much all! Cheers!
I have a Boxster S street/track car. I'm 6', you should plan on getting the Brey-Kraus.

Might depend on your torso to leg ratio -- but I'm 6' and I would not pass a broomstick test.

I have a brey-kraus roll bar extender and pads -- 15min install time max.

If you plan to run BMW -- nobody can pass their broom stick test and see
over the dash. I pulled my seats completely and tested it -- if my eyes were
above the dash -- I failed their broomstick test -- which is to the front strut,
not the windshield like PCA does it.

All that being said -- it's my favorite track car -- you'll love it.

I'd also consider getting a 1/2qt sump extension and baffle kit.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Racer Boy

I'm 6' 1", and it's never been a problem for me. I've only run SCCA Track Night in America track events, which are very loosely organized. Some track day organizers may be different.

I have the Brey-Kraus extension, and also run with the top up, so no one can tell.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

I'm 6ft and it was tight with the stock bar, but no one has given me a hardtime with the bK extension in place.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Huge thanks to everyone for the help! Puts my worries at ease! I was looking at getting the Brey-Kraus extension I just wish it was certified at the very least. It feels like it could be a grab bag of whether or not they'll let you on the track which is tough when it's a 2hr+ drive to find that out not to mention loss of funds when they turn you around. I'm sure it'll be fine though. I'll be sure to avoid the BMW events. Thanks for the info all!
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #6

FWIW I've done 4 PCA HPDE's now and am leaving for my 5th tomorrow. I am 6'3" on my best days and have the BK rollbar extension. I doubt I have an inch of clearance with my helmet on, but I do have clearance between the top of my helmet and the underside of my top. I have never seen anyone perform a broomstick test on any Boxster at any HPDE or any pre HPDE tech inspection. I've seen one guy in the instructor group who is at least as tall as me with a 986 Boxster S with a hardtop and he doesn't have any BK extension. Some tracks have rules stating the BK rollbar extension is required for a 986 though.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
midlifechrisis

I'm going to do my first PCA DE in December so I need to figure this out- I'm 6'1'' but don't thing I have an issue - I might need to source those extenders just in case- I assume I can run with the hard top on?

Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote