Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 03:58 AM   #1

Margarita Green, OE Color?

I ran across a '99 Box for sale and the color is listed as Margarita Green. It looks like a light teal. I've never seen that color before and I can't find anything on the web to confirm that is was a Porsche OE color. Has anyone ever seen this color before?

JEhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:01 AM   #2

It's called ocean jade metallic
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:14 AM   #3

The current asking price is just 'OK' based on condition & miles ect... If I buy it and then flip it in a year, I can't figure out if this color is desireable or a total turn off... Any thoughts?
Old 08-12-2016, 04:15 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I'd never seen this colour either but last Sunday at a Sunday Night Cruise featuring the Red River Region PCA there was this one.

And it is indeed Ocean Jade Metallic. Not sure where 'Margarita Green' came from.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEhunter View Post
If I buy it and then flip it in a year, I can't figure out if this color is desireable or a total turn off... Any thoughts?
Porsche owners seem to like their colors to be safe - silver, black, or white, possibly red or blue. When you get into the less popular colors it becomes a matter of taste or desire. Speed Yellow is a tough sell unless someone is looking for that specific color. A friend of mine was ready to buy a great 06 Cayman S in Speed Yellow but wifey refused to let him buy it. Ocean Jade Metallic is a rare color and I think it's attractive. But this is coming from someone who owns a GT3 Orange Boxster and a Signal Green Cayman. It may be a bit of a turn-off to the normal crowd.

I had some time yesterday and was perusing numerous big city CL ads and saw this car. I thought the price was tempting.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:42 AM   #6

Husker - Good info. I like those out of the box colors like orange and green. The car is in ATL on CL. I called the guy but he knows nothing about the IMS/RMS history ect. The check engine light goes off and on. He says it's an O2 sensor but I would guess its something way more than that. It would have to be a good price to make it a good 'flip' car. John
Old 08-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #7

It also goes by another name but I forget what it is and I'm not at my yard right now. I have a 98 that color in my yard and the paint code has the other name on it. They both have the same paint code though. I'm not a fan of that color but I've had a lot of people like it when they see that colored boxster next to the black and silver boxsters.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:18 AM   #8

Ocean Jade Metallic is my favorite color for an early Boxster.

Here's mine (below) on my way back to Oklahoma after buying it in Arizona, a 986 w/ hardtop that saw a lot of exposure several years ago here on the 986 board, a 996 aero and a 996 turbo. I'd love to own either of the 996 cars.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Porsche owners seem to like their colors to be safe - silver, black, or white, possibly red or blue. When you get into the less popular colors it becomes a matter of taste or desire.
+1 ^^^ Well said.

The typical Boxster buyer is looking for a safe color. That doesn't mean that another color isn't desirable, but it will be more buyer specific.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #10

IMHO.... these car look great in any color as long as they are clean, polished and waxed. In person Ocean Jade is a great looking color. I still wish I had bought ours in Zanzibar Red when we ordered it. It is more of an orange color.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
The check engine light goes off and on. He says it's an O2 sensor but I would guess its something way more than that. It would have to be a good price to make it a good 'flip' car. John
Isn't every CEL 'just an O2 sensor'? Since it's throwing a CEL, the seller has just lost 90% of his potential buying audience. Porsche owners want pristine, not problems. Unless he's pulled the code, you're buying a cat in a sack, so pay accordingly.

Quote:
I like those out of the box colors like orange and green.
You never have to twist my arm to post pics. Here are a cpl of my favorites, incl my CSS shot with Hans Peter Porsche standing by my car.

Here's the Carmon Red CS I owned before I bought my CSS.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote