Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

Be sure to find the source of the water.
HAHA he lives in Georgia have you ever seen it rain along the Gulf Coast. I've seen it rain so hard in New Orleans that there was no discernible drops on the windshield, literally buckets, 5-6" standing water on the road. Raining so hard the crocs came out of the bayou at Raceland and were lining the highway!!! Has to be seen to believe.

I don't know how these cars survive along there. There is no way the drains can keep up with that. If I lived there the waterproof CLU box enclosure would be the first mod.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #22
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Good news all....I dried the circuit board and enclosure, gently cleaned the corrosion on the board with a toothbrush, reconnected everything....and just like magic, she started right up!!! Problem solved. I do plan on finding the source of the leak and getting the waterproof case. I am relieved that I didn't have to drop another stack of cash to figure this out. The ONLY problem so far is that my airbag light is on and my interior dome light stopped working...smh. Go figure. I'll work on that part tomorrow
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #23
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Great news. You must be living right my friend. Go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is running strong.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #24
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Great news . . . . Now fall in love with that Porsche again my friend!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:46 AM   #25
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
That's great! Congrats. Airbag light result of having the seat out without disconnecting the battery. Can be reset by your indie. Check dome bulb or fuse. Treat yourself to a nice, spirited drive and a frosty adult beverage! Maybe you'll decide to keep her and stay with us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:09 AM   #26

I got mine with 54k, it's still a project. If you don't have the time, tools, experience or space to work on it, cut your losses and sell it for as much as possible. also, the mobilizer board though working by some miracle, could fail at any time. I'v been doing electronic repairs for decades (2) and that's one of the worst boards i've ever seen. surprised it still works. too many corroded connections and joints. Current project on mine- CV boots. shop want 800, guess what, they cost 5 bucks a boot. easy choice, but if i didn't have the above, i would sell it as fast as possible.
SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:47 AM   #27

I bought my boxster at an insurance auction because the immobilzer got wet from a clogged drain valve. I got it out of Houston where it rains a lot. I brought it home to the Austin area where it sat for 5 summer months without a drop of rain hitting it. My floor carpet still had a lot of moisture even after 120+ days of 90-100 degrees. The insulation on the carpet lets water in like a sponge but doesn't easily let it out. I would also remove the floor carpet and let it dry out for a few days if you can.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I bought my boxster at an insurance auction because the immobilzer got wet from a clogged drain valve. I got it out of Houston where it rains a lot. I brought it home to the Austin area where it sat for 5 summer months without a drop of rain hitting it. My floor carpet still had a lot of moisture even after 120+ days of 90-100 degrees. The insulation on the carpet lets water in like a sponge but doesn't easily let it out. I would also remove the floor carpet and let it dry out for a few days if you can.
+1 on that!
I worked on a 98 that had a rip in the passenger foam tray, I pulled passenger side carpet and insulation and was amazed at how much water the insulation held. It was very heavy to remove and I wrung it out like a huge sponge.

It took a day or two in the sun before it dried out enough to put everything back together. No problems after fixing the tray.

My lesson in this was my passenger carpet felt wet up toward the front of the car. I spent a while investigating front drains and condenser drain.

The carpet being wet up front was just an indication of how much water the insulation had absorbed.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #29
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Great news. You must be living right my friend. Go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is running strong.
I may need that lottery ticket win if I have to have any more repairs
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #30
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Great news . . . . Now fall in love with that Porsche again my friend!
Drove it ALL DAY today....it's calling me again
...I'm still being cautious though, I'm not sure what to expect.
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 08-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #31
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
That's great! Congrats. Airbag light result of having the seat out without disconnecting the battery. Can be reset by your indie. Check dome bulb or fuse. Treat yourself to a nice, spirited drive and a frosty adult beverage! Maybe you'll decide to keep her and stay with us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll take your advice on the airbag light and check the fuse...the "spirited drive" took place today and I really enjoyed it...BUT I'm going to be cautious and still consider selling to possibly get a 911?????? I'll post updates on where things stand. Thanks!
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 08-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #32
Crib

Garage
Hi Imari,

Good to see that luck found you, at last.

The feeling of driving, while something in your back head is wondering "what was that sound" or "am I feeling something vibrating?" is shared by most of us.

They need some tender care, and they give you some awesome road love.

Havent owned a 911, but I dont think you should change to that just for a piece of mind.
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #33

I didn't read the whole thing but my first porsche was a1977 carrera 3.0 (euro). I couldn't make it to the end of my street without breaking down. Like that for years. Anyways, fast forward 10 years. The boxster has been the exact opposite (knock on wood). Pay for condition would be my only advice. Unless you enjoy the challenge, starting with a semi clean slate makes it so much more enjoyable.

Side note, the guy who bought my c3 flew to boston and drove back to Miami with zero issues. Strange.
David

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote