986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nubie (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6249)

mellowyellow2000 05-31-2006 10:13 PM

Nubie

Hello

I am new to the forum and a new Boxster owner. A couple of days ago I purchased a Speed Yellow 2000 Boxster S with 10k miles. The car is showroom.

Here is a list of some of the upgrades

18" BBS wheels that appear to be a replica of the 5-spoke 911 Fuchs wheel

Dansk exhaust

Eibach springs

Aluminum pedal kit

I have not yet decided what I want to do to the car. However, I do have the Performance Products catalog and I have increased the credit limit on my VISA card.

tony2fingers 05-31-2006 10:40 PM

your just asking for trouble huh. new box s, high credit limit. the exhaust and springs you allready have seems like a plus, but what is more important to you, performance or cosmetics or functionality. personally, everything ive done asides from the springs on my car, were all cosmetics. but if you dont have it allready, go to eagle one.com or something close to that and get the oem cup holders. their like $100 and ten minutes to install and the best thing you can ever buy for your porsche. clear lights are a plus, as well as a short shift kit if not allready on your car. hardtop make it look like a different car, and speedster humps are the best when the top is down. if the sound is your cup tea, then i would replace the stock deck and get a one with an aux input for an ipod, add a sub and upgrade the speakers. myself, i kept the stock nokia speaker because they actually sounded decent with just more power from an aftermarket deck, and added a ten inch solobaric sub in the footwell. keep in mind ebay is invaluable in finding parts. now that your in the club, enjoy your new addiction......

mellowyellow2000 06-01-2006 03:06 PM

Tony 2, thanks for the info. Most of the upgrades I have done to my cars have been to increase the performance. A short shifter kit and a cold air kit are at the top of the list. Braided brake lines and performance brake pads next. Followed by strut/shock upgrades, probably either Koni or Bilstien.

The speedster humps are definitely something I am going to look at. I don't like the way part of the top shows when it is down.

Perfectlap 06-01-2006 03:41 PM

ummm...

shred that credit card. Those guys are corporate mafiosos. Really I'm not kidding
keep that credit car for a day when you have to drop $700 on repairs like I did today.

With this car you'll spend allot of dough on performance and you won't get much back. Really its a waste unless you plan on doing competitive driving.

as far as mods, I stick to the cosmetic stuff that look good in pics and will help me sell the car.

But if you want to improve performance premium tires is the first thing on your list.
And then maybe a 20 pound range set of wheels. How heavy are your BBS?

I would consider my GT3 seats to be a performance/cosmetic mod because they really enhance the looks and driving experience equally.

my second favorite cosmetic mod is an aero kit. For $2K The GT3 front bumper and side skirts on 18" wheels really transform the stance of the car. Makes it look like a $70K car. This morning I had to convince a guy that it was a Boxster and not a 911 Cab. He said he thought the Boxster was "smaller".

On the 2000 you'll want to change to amber free tail lights and side markers.
And the most expensive cosmetic mod the HID Litronics lights. Or $500 if you can find a set of amber free non-HID halogens from a 996 911 or Boxster. Clear on yellow paint will improve the look over amber on yello in a big way.

as far as Brakes they need absolutely no modification. Best brakes I've had and I'd think twice about braided brake lines. They've usually made the cars I've driven have a very hard pedal, I don't like that.

If you want to tinker with the suspesion I would consider the Bilstein PSS9 at least with that very expensive uprgrade you can adjust the ride height. Simply adding lowering springs is a real roll of the dice and not really precise enough for such an expensive car as this.

SHort shift kit and strut tower bar are cheap mods whcih may make a big difference. The short shift kit has had mixed reviews with this car. The 911 folks seem to like it more with their gear box.

The only must have for me
VALENTINE ONE! :D

olly986 06-01-2006 04:36 PM

do not forget the best kick out of your boxster comes when you are driivng it not looking at it which is what most other people do but not you, your behind the wheel enjoying yourself!!

mellowyellow2000 06-01-2006 05:17 PM

Would love to shred the credit card, but it makes internet purchases much easier.

This is my third performance car, well fourth if I can count the Volvo GT Turbo. I sold a supercharged Mazda Miata just before I purchased the Porsche. I also own a '98 Camao Z28 with several K invested in suspension and chassis upgrades. Now before everyone pokes fun at the Camaro, it has 300 (dyno proven) RWH and has held it's own against several rice rockets and euro performance cars and my investment in it is less than 25k.

I just got a note back from BBS on the wheels. BBS Germany made them a few years ago for european tuner. They are based on the RSII style wheel. They are 2 piece with a stainless steel lip. I do not know how much they weigh. Tires are Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico, fronts 225/40 and rears 265/35.

Spending 2k on an aero kit and another 2k for Litronics lights is a long way off right now.

As for the other mods, I have done them on my other cars with good results.

I stopped using a radar detector years ago. The instant on and laser guns made relying on the detector just to iffy. However, Valentine is the best. A CB radio tuned to scan the trucker bands would be a good addition to the Valentine

creseida 06-02-2006 09:18 PM

I'd say, drive it for a while, get to know it, enjoy it, become one with it. Once you've done that, then see if you really need to throw any more money at it. I'd say, probably not, except for any cosmetic changes to make it more your style. This is one of those cars that (pardon the pun) comes quite nicely equipped out of the box.