986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do oil pumps fail? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62054)

Fyeganeh 06-20-2016 08:33 AM

Do oil pumps fail?

Wondering whether oil pumps fail? If so is it based on how old they are or how many miles on the car? What happens in a failure...?

seningen 06-20-2016 08:35 AM

If its mechanical it can fail.

I think the hex drive off the IMS to the oil pump is more prone to failure tho

Mike

Jake Raby 06-20-2016 04:00 PM

Only if they ingest debris... Because something else fails.

Smallblock454 06-21-2016 03:11 AM

Agree, in general they don't fail. They fail if something is in the oil circuit that harms the teeth of the gear.

Regards, Markus

Fyeganeh 06-22-2016 10:24 AM

Well it sounds like it's a rare event - I guess they are better designed than water pumps. Reading online I found the following symptoms for a failing oil pump:

"The symptoms of a bad oil pump are many, and some of them include abnormally noisy hydraulic lifters, valve train noise, a higher operating temperature in the engine, a decrease in the oil pressure of the car and a noise in the oil pump. An oil pump is one of the components of a car that does not require frequent servicing and repairs, but when it fails, it can cause catastrophic impact on the performance of the car."

I've seen repeated posts here about lifters failing and higher oil temps.

I've also seen posts about replacing base boxster oil coolers / heat exchangers with larger boxster S coolers. Would this increase resistance, lower pressures and cause more failures? Are there more lifter failures in boxster S than a base boxster?

JFP in PA 06-22-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyeganeh (Post 500477)
Well it sounds like it's a rare event - I guess they are better designed than water pumps. Reading online I found the following symptoms for a failing oil pump:

"The symptoms of a bad oil pump are many, and some of them include abnormally noisy hydraulic lifters, valve train noise, a higher operating temperature in the engine, a decrease in the oil pressure of the car and a noise in the oil pump. An oil pump is one of the components of a car that does not require frequent servicing and repairs, but when it fails, it can cause catastrophic impact on the performance of the car."

I've seen repeated posts here about lifters failing and higher oil temps.

I've also seen posts about replacing base boxster oil coolers / heat exchangers with larger boxster S coolers. Would this increase resistance, lower pressures and cause more failures? Are there more lifter failures in boxster S than a base boxster?

In a word: No.