Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #1

Need help quick. Blown radiator hose or waterpump

Hey guys, I need some help. After driving I stopped & went into the store then a store clerk approached me & said that my porsche was spitting out coolant. I went outside & found that all the coolant had leaked from the back of the car all over the ground. I ran to Pepboys & got some coolant so I could get the car home. While putting the coolant in it started running right out. I drove the car home & all the coolant ran out as soon as I stopped. Is this the waterpump or a hose that broke? Any help will be appreciated.

rxgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #2

Could be....

a number of things...this was a reoccurring problem on my car when it was in Hawaii. At first, it was a blown gasket on the bottom of the reservoir tank, they showed me the tank AFTER they had fixed it. The car was fine til a month later when it happened AGAIN. I suspect they did not belch the system properly and they put the same original clamps on the hoses leading from it which were not up to date. They claimed nothing was wrong, and refilled the tank and checked it, all good. No problems til I got to Illinois, and the car was leaking slowly this time, anti freeze. Found out the bozos in Hawaii CUT one of my hoses leading from the tank! Aahhhh, I was needless to say, pissed!

Have you had the cars coolant serviced lately? Is this a recent purchase? If so, head to the dealership/service center and raise hell. If not, my first suspicion would be that you have a bad clamp on your hoses, these should be updated, as the original clamps on some of the older Boxsters were not up to snuff....Or you have a bad hose, or perhaps water pump, tho they tend to make some noise before they go, but not always. Good luck, and let us know how this works out for you

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
olly986

watch it my water pump went on my 97 box once, the main belt runs the water pump and all auxiliaries and when the pump axle broke clean everything else went, had to drive home with no power steering etc...luckily was only a mile away but had to get the car uplifted for repair the followig day

one other thing that hapen to me which i mention a few months ago is that tracking the car once i came to stop and switch the car off too quickly and a flood of coolant come running down, it is better to let your car idled a little before switching off or the over flow coolant will run

see ya
Old 05-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #4

HI,

All good suggestions so far. I'm betting that your Coolant Recovery Tank has split. These are made of vinyl and will crack due to repeated heat cycling. Hopefully I'm wrong because a Hose or Clamp would certainly be an easier and cheaper fix.

To rule out the Recovery Tank, pull the Trunk Floor and if it's full of coolant, it's the Tank, if not, then a Hose or Clamp is the likely culprit. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #5

I pulled the trunk liner & found no coolant. So I suspect it to be a hose or clamp. I don't think it's the waterpump b/c the fluid is running right from the back of the car from over the exhaust. If it's a hose or clamp is that something I could fix myself or do I have to get it towed to the stealer?
rxgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
olly986

everything is fixable when you know how, and there is lots of help on this forum so come on guys give him some help there as i am not able myself!!!