986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche Wins Le Mans...again (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62047)

Auf los! 06-19-2016 03:56 PM

Porsche Wins Le Mans...again

Porsche won Le Mans for the 18th time this morning...in the last 5 minutes, when the leading Toyota failed. It was a real "jump off the couch" finish.

Last year I was so annoyed with the Fox coverage, that this year, thanks to a poster here, I signed up for the ACO feed from the FIA WEC website. The streamed race was excellent, commentary by a team of British and French broadcasters. Not as good as Radio Le Mans, I thought, but not bad. No commercials, imagine!

It's been a strange WEC season for Porsche. First they had the win handed to them at Silverstone when the winning Audi was disqualified, and now this surprise win at Le Mans. Wow.

BIGJake111 06-19-2016 04:33 PM

It was an outstanding race, major props to Toyota for running faster then ever, but huge congrats to Porsche for the 18th victory!

Smallblock454 06-19-2016 04:40 PM

Here is a video from the final overtake (hope that is available around the world):

VIDEO - 24h von Le Mans - Toyota-Drama kurz vor Schluss: "I have no power!" - 24h von Le Mans - Video Eurosport Deutschland

And here is the final results list:

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/results/

Regards, Markus

Smallblock454 06-19-2016 04:42 PM

Sorry, double post.

oneshot 06-19-2016 05:53 PM

I also signed up for the app/web login and watched stream from multiple locations. Was very decent coverage except part of the overnight commentary dried up. Made sure I didn't miss the Ford finish too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Boy 06-19-2016 07:10 PM

Porsche was gifted this victory, but that is the way it works, they were the first to cross the line. They were in position to take advantage of Toyota's misfortune.

How about Ford winning on the 50th anniversary of them winning in the GT40? Also great that Sebastion Bourdais finally won his hometown race driving for Ford. I was fortunate to have worked with him at a Daytona 24 hour race, and he was terrific to have on the team. Very nice, fun, and personable until he got into the car, then he was all business. And extremely quick!

rexcramer 06-19-2016 07:25 PM

That really sucks for Toyota. Congrats to the home team for being there to capitalize. That must be an amazing feeling to be part of a winning team.

husker boxster 06-19-2016 07:29 PM

Overnight and into the morning, I watched the Ford feed on YouTube. They switched back and forth between their cars. They had an audio feed from a British FM station (Radio LeMans?) that I thought did a great job. At the bottom of the hour, they always gave the weather and standings. I could wake up and listen to the computer for a while to hear what was going on. Then watched the finish on FS2 while still listening to the computer.

Porsche9 06-19-2016 08:49 PM

Excited that both Porsche and Ford won. A real bummer for Toyota. That racing. I'm a Porsche fan so I'm happy with the result

Luv2Box 06-20-2016 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 500109)
Here is a video from the final overtake (hope that is available around the world):

VIDEO - 24h von Le Mans - Toyota-Drama kurz vor Schluss: "I have no power!" - 24h von Le Mans - Video Eurosport Deutschland

And here is the final results list:

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/results/

Regards, Markus

Thanks for posting this I got up at 1 a.m. to watch the race on FS1 because they falsely advertised broadcasting the race to the finish then, with two hours left, cut over to golf, and left those of us who don't get FS2 wondering what happened. Next year I'll subscribe to another feed and not rely on FS1.:cheers:

dsallean 06-20-2016 08:58 AM

I set my DVR to record FS2 from 9:30pm central so I could watch it yesterday morning. I was quite surprised when I played my recording only to find MMA fighting instead.

Auf los! 06-20-2016 12:30 PM

Yeah, well, there is no reason to put up with Fox's shell game. This was two years in a row that they didn't stick to their announced broadcast schedule. I don't know whether they lied this year about streaming the whole race on Fox Sports Go, but last year they lied.

This is the link to where you purchase the live FIA streaming:

Live on the Website

Once there, you hover over "LIVE" on the extreme right. That opens up "I WANT", and click on "Member Access." That gets you to a window where you input your info and a Visa or MasterCard number. After that, you should get an email confirming the purchase, I did it about a week before the race. Then the morning of the race, the streaming starts about 25 minutes before the start of the race (8:35am ET). The cost is 9.99 Euros, this year $11 and change.

The sign-up process is a little odd, because, well, it's French, but they were good as their word and it was wonderful to have commercial-free coverage. I dozed off a couple of times, but I must have actually watched at least 22.5 hours! Imagine how psyched I was to have basically stayed-up for 27 hours, only to be rewarded with a WIN in the last five minutes, ha! Unglaublich!!

Auf los! 06-20-2016 12:36 PM

And of yes, almost forgot. Because my laptop has an HDMI port, I just used a spare HDMI cable to plug it into my biggest TV. It was great. 1080i.

Had some interruption of the streaming about half-way through the race, which I determined was because Microsoft had sent me an update during the race. Closed down, loaded the update, and I was back up to uninterrupted streaming in just a few minutes.

This is the way to go, guys. Fox Sports can go...jump in the lake.

Racer Boy 06-20-2016 12:41 PM

Yeah, Fox can go jump in a lake that is filled with steaming excrement. I DVR'ed the race, and was surprised and dismayed (being polite here) when with two hours to go they switched to a golf tournament. Who in their right mind would choose to watch golf when they could be watching sports car racing? :mad:

Auf los! 06-06-2017 02:58 PM

Set for 2017

Just ordered the Le Mans live stream for this year, still costs only 9.99 Euros. Here's the link to the offer:

https://members.fiawec.com/en/

They re-designed the website this year. Still kinda French, which is to say, almost incomprehensible. Have no idea what to click on the morning of the race, ha!

If you're into Le Mans, this is the commercial-free, hassle-free way to go. Enjoy!

cas951 06-06-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auf los! (Post 539755)
Just ordered the Le Mans live stream for this year, still costs only 9.99 Euros. Here's the link to the offer:

https://members.fiawec.com/en/

They re-designed the website this year. Still kinda French, which is to say, almost incomprehensible. Have no idea what to click on the morning of the race, ha!

If you're into Le Mans, this is the commercial-free, hassle-free way to go. Enjoy!

I can agree to this. It's the way to go to watch the race. I buy the whole season package.

Auf los! 06-06-2017 04:39 PM

cas951, if you bought the whole season, did you stream Silverstone and Spa?

If you did, can you tell us how to access the stream before the race starts? Are we clicking on the block that says "Purchased"?

Last year, you clicked on something, and if there was no race at the moment, it told you that. But that was how you accessed the stream. This year's website is new, and I don't understand it.

Ciao 06-06-2017 05:09 PM

Epic Win for Porche!

cas951 06-06-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auf los! (Post 539764)
cas951, if you bought the whole season, did you stream Silverstone and Spa?

If you did, can you tell us how to access the stream before the race starts? Are we clicking on the block that says "Purchased"?

Last year, you clicked on something, and if there was no race at the moment, it told you that. But that was how you accessed the stream. This year's website is new, and I don't understand it.

I use the WEC app on my iPad and Cast to TV. WEC app home page has all the links to stream. They start to stream about 2 hrs before the race begins.

That986 06-06-2017 11:00 PM

I'll be there cheering the guys on, hopefully they can win properly this time and not be gifted it.