Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
Hawaiian Driver

Fabspeed Headers

Looking for some opinions on what to expect if I go forward and install Fabspeed headers. I already have their exhaust system in place, and while I love the exhaust note there hasn't really been too much of a performance gain. With the headers installed what or should be expected other than a lighter wallet? All the collective wisdom here is much appreciated.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:13 AM   #2

There is no doubt aftermarket headers will flow better than the OEM setup but Porsche didn't leave much on the table. My guess is you " might " see 5 - 6 hp difference. Without before and after dyno runs it is just a guessing game. In some cases hp and torque can go down . Over the years Jake Raby has dyno tested almost every exhaust/muffler combo out there and he says very few make any real hp gain and many decrease power. They look cool, generally save some weight and sound good but not much power gain . On my " beast " I have cheap aftermarket headers, cat delete pipes and currently a GHL twin can muffler. Much lighter than stock, some nasty resonance I'm trying to tune out and some wonderful noise from 3k - 7k but I have no before/after dyno runs to prove any performance gain. I went the cheap header route because I was NOT willing to spend big money on something there was no proof would provide a big return. I am happy with what I bought, they fit well and look good. But if they crack or fall apart I won't sweat it.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
Hawaiian Driver

Thanks for the informative response. Thinking I'll stay put. I did loosen all the header bolts and retighten them as a preventive measure so they would not freeze in place.