986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   car got wet in rain, won't iddle above 2,000 rpm! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6197)

Perfectlap 05-27-2006 01:46 PM

car got wet in rain, won't iddle above 2,000 rpm!

got caught in a freak down pour and the car got soaked. Started up fine.
an hour later I fired it up and it would not go over 2,000 rpms. Had to drive home 15 mph, luckily i was close to home. Dealer is closed for Holiday. :confused:

Later in the evening after I waited to see if it would dry and return to normal I stalled the car in reverse quickly fired up the ignition again and it was back revving like normal. Check engine light that came on was reading code P1502(Fuel Pump Relay Output Stage - Short Circuit to B+)
I erased the code with my OBD scanner and the CEL did not reappear. But I have to deliberately stall the car to get it to fire up normally.

clues? condolensces? donations?

p.s.
I am typing this from rented PC time at Kinkos because my PC's hard drive crashed
...sigh. And my cable tv is on fritz. :(

xclusivecar 05-27-2006 02:28 PM

The computer is under the front seat, I think. Maybe water backed up into the car and fried you out. Either that or you're basically a big static person walking around and everything you touch shorts out. Is your hair always on end??? Rub yourself all over with some fabric softener! :D

98Boxster98 05-27-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
got caught in a freak down pour and the car got soaked. Started up fine. . . clues? condolensces? donations?

p.s.
I am typing this from rented PC time at Kinkos because my PC's hard drive crashed
...sigh. And my cable tv is on fritz. :(

Definitely, my condolences. I know the feeling when several things go bad at once (The old adage, "When it rains ...") Can't offer any donations as I must maintain a war chest for my Boxster. I agree with xclusivecar - check under the seats for any water. Hope good fortune returns soon.

MNBoxster 05-27-2006 10:34 PM

Hi,

My 1st inclinaton is that you have a rain-induced MAF issue. Let it go a day or two, or disconnect the Battery for 15 min. and see if that doesn't mitigate the issue. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!.. Jim'99

Rail26 05-28-2006 08:04 AM

Just crawl back into bed and try life again tomorrow.

Perfectlap 05-30-2006 09:51 AM

just left it with Ray Catena Porsche service. I gave the car to the service consultant and told him that the car had an error code P1502 fuel pump realy short circuit and that I cleared the code myself. I also asked him to look at that
annoying infrared sensor that has come loose and is lowering the window every time I go over a bump. They also offered to remove two dings (door and rear quarter) for $130, I agreed.

Twenty minutes later the consultant returns with the tech saying I need a new hard top relay and throttle body. :confused:

I informed the guys that the hardtop relay ($100+) is brand new bought within the last month at their part desk. He said he would take a look at it again.

Now for my big problem,
Initially I didn't inform the service consultant that the car got wet with top down and started acting up an hour later. I told them about the incident asked if they could simply replace the fuel pump relay and see if it the car would fire up correctly since the error message said "short circuit...."
Their response was that they put in a throttle body from another car and the car started up fine. What's peculiar is that the throttle will act perfectly fine if I can get the car started correctly from the get go. This only happens if I stall the car intentionally and imediately attempt a restart. I drove a long distance to the dealer (I know bad idea) sifting gears in out of neutral and the throtle and idle were perfect. As soon as the car is turned off back to limp mode.

They gave me a loaner for $50 and will call me with their reassesment.

Am I crazy or does it sound like they they aren't looking closely enough?

98Boxster98 05-30-2006 12:17 PM

When you brought the car for service, were you still having throttle problems? (Re-read you post and see that you still got limp mode.) Did your Boxster throw another CEL for short in the fuel pump? If no to both, I am inclined to think that perhaps you brought the car to be service a little early. A good drying out may cure the short. Just don't drive while it dries out.

It would also leave me uncomfortable if the tech came back with as quick diagnosis as he did. However, I'm no mechanic; I just play one on TV.

PS - I just checked over at Renntech. For fuel pump relay output stage, short to B+, the listed P-code is P1124, fault code 167, fault type 4. For P1502, Throttle jacking unit, spring test.

Perfectlap 05-30-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
When you brought the car for service, were you still having throttle problems? (Re-read you post and see that you still got limp mode.) Did your Boxster throw another CEL for short in the fuel pump? If no to both, I am inclined to think that perhaps you brought the car to be service a little early. A good drying out may cure the short. Just don't drive while it dries out.

It would also leave me uncomfortable if the tech came back with as quick diagnosis as he did. However, I'm no mechanic; I just play one on TV.

PS - I just checked over at Renntech. For fuel pump relay output stage, short to B+, the listed P-code is P1124, fault code 167, fault type 4. For P1502, Throttle jacking unit, spring test.

Throttle jacking unit! :eek:
hmmm....I wonder if I was looking at the codes for the 996..
are they different?

98Boxster98 05-30-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Throttle jacking unit! :eek:
hmmm....I wonder if I was looking at the codes for the 996..
are they different?

DME 7.2 - Boxster (986), S MY00-02; Carrera (996) 4, 4S MY99-01; Carrera (996) MY00-01

DME 5.2.2 - Boxster (986) MY97-99; Carrera (996) MY99

For DME 5.2.2, P1502 is Fuel Pump Relay Output Stage - Short Circuit to B+

bigislandboxster 06-06-2006 08:25 AM

Any resolution to this problem Perfectlap? Was curious what the outcome/verdict was on this issue..

Perfectlap 06-06-2006 10:32 AM

$570 :(

98Boxster was correct I was looking at the wrong error code (for earlier Boxsters).
An entirely new throttle body was installed. Part was like $350 and the labor was two hours. Car works fine now.

I never got an explanantion as to why the throttle body would go short after the interior was soaked. The way these guys were operating on this day seems like they get an error code read on their computer, the computer tells them what part needs to be replaced (in my instance the tb) and the tech installs it.

I talked to the tech and he showed me the 5 printout of what their computer tells them to fix. Seems like there is VERY LITTLE guess work.

as for the top relay, that was annoying. The new relay that I installed myself had come loose. They pushed it in all the way and the windows stoped lowering when going over the bumps with top down. This close to spending $130 needlessly.

bigislandboxster 06-06-2006 11:05 AM

Good to hear you are up and running ;)

I would be curious as to how that rain may have affected the throttle body as well...We had a torrential rain out this way a week or 2 ago, tho my top was up....Was more concerned about the chunks of hail damaging the exterior of the car! No damage to the car, just a cut on my forehead as I got caught out in it while fishing.... :D

Perfectlap 06-06-2006 12:32 PM

the only thing I can think of is water getting onto the rear shelf or dash and somehow....I dunno

lesson to all: A little water in the cockpit can be just enough to cause a big repair.

MNBoxster 06-06-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

the only thing I can think of is water getting onto the rear shelf or dash and somehow....I dunno

lesson to all: A little water in the cockpit can be just enough to cause a big repair.

Hi,

It could just be coincidence, the Throttle Jacking Solenoid may simply have pooped out the same day it rained. If the ignition was OFF, it's not likely there was anything to short, I haven't checked, but it seems unlikely that an Engine Control would be on a B+ circuit. Glad you're AOK though...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Perfectlap 06-06-2006 01:44 PM

MN,
the b+ reference and short circuit was not for my model year. I mistakenly searched the 2.5 Boxsters not my 3.2 for the error code definition.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my error code means for the somewhat common throttle body failure in these cars.