986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2001 Base IMS Failure (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61940)

EricP 06-09-2016 07:59 PM

2001 Base IMS Failure

Hi,

I have a 2001 Base and had an IMS failure (according to the dealer that looked it over). I am wondering if there's any value in either parting it out or seeing if there's interest in selling it as is to someone, donate it to charity or just getting rid of it.

Thanks,
-Eric

Mig 06-09-2016 08:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your failure. That really is a shame.

I think you should try selling the car complete. There might be someone out there who is interested in taking on the project.

If I wasn't on the other coast I would certainly have a look at it.

Best of luck.

Timco 06-09-2016 09:09 PM

A base will likely be a parts car unless pretty nice condition.

Look for Woody, Itsanova screen name. He's the Boxster salvage guru.

Pominoz 06-09-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP (Post 499094)
Hi,

I have a 2001 Base and had an IMS failure (according to the dealer that looked it over). I am wondering if there's any value in either parting it out or seeing if there's interest in selling it as is to someone, donate it to charity or just getting rid of it.

Thanks,
-Eric

That's bad luck.i assume you hadn't had the IMSB replaced?

EricP 06-10-2016 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pominoz (Post 499102)
That's bad luck.i assume you hadn't had the IMSB replaced?

No I didn't. We had just completed a trip around the country in it too. 10,800 miles in 23 days. Such a fun car for a trip like that.

husker boxster 06-10-2016 04:53 AM

What are the symptoms? How well do you know / trust the mechanic?

I ask because another member started a similar thread a month ago because her mechanic told her her engine was toast (implied IMS). After taking her car to a trusted mechanic that was suggested by the forum, turns out her problem was an AOS which only cost her $300.

EricP 06-10-2016 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 499118)

I ask because another member started a similar thread a month ago because her mechanic told her her engine was toast (implied IMS). After taking her car to a trusted mechanic that was suggested by the forum, turns out her problem was an AOS which only cost her $300.

The oil pan is full of metal fragments. I am confident in the dealer's diagnosis.

EricP 06-10-2016 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 499118)

There's a lot of metal in the oil when they checked it. I am pretty confident in their diagnosis.