986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best OBD tool or app? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61855)

MWS 06-01-2016 06:37 PM

Best OBD tool or app?

What is the best OBD tool (reader) either standalone or app? If app, prefer Apple compatible. I would be using for general diagnostics and troubleshooting.

I am leaning towards the dongle/app choice vs standalone unit. Pros/cons?

tada 06-01-2016 07:15 PM

The best OBD reader for Porsche that is available to the public is the Durametric. Available in the Enthusiast or Pro versions. Only runs on a Windows computer.

Timco 06-01-2016 07:29 PM

I like Dashcommand. Great app. Needs android to work with a BT interface. Lots of info but it ain't no durametric.

MWS 06-01-2016 10:42 PM

Yea, I know Durametric is the standard, but don't have a Win laptop anymore (several iPads though), but do have and older Kindle Fire. Have read some about Dashcommand, but wish there was an Apple alternative....if any suggestions, please advise. What about a standalone handheld unit?

TrumpyAl 06-01-2016 11:35 PM

Best OBD tool or app?

Sorry, I stopped looking at Durametric. Maybe edit your OP to save all us Durametric users dropping in :)

Jthoms1 06-02-2016 12:37 AM

If you don't go Durametric just buy a $15 OBD reader off of Amazon. The rest all work the same way. I have one and it's great.

rusty69911 06-02-2016 01:13 AM

I use elm327 dongle and carista free app for general resets and fault finding on my euro cars mainly BMW but yet to try it on the boxster,
unfortunately as with everything good and cheap it doesn't work on apple, but we wont get into that battle haha

Van914 06-02-2016 03:25 AM

Dash Command works on my IPhone

Xpit77 06-02-2016 03:30 AM

I have one I got at Amazon. Then I installed Torque Pro on my Tab. Works great clears codes etc.

kk2002s 06-02-2016 03:46 AM

Have basic hand held plug in reader. Good for getting and resetting basic codes
Also use BT adaptor and Torque
Like because i can read real time engine levels
Especially coolant temp
Do want a Durametric

Mig 06-02-2016 04:40 AM

I'm going to be buying the iCarsoft PORII handheld unit. It's less than $200.on Amazon and has been talked about on various Porsche forums. It looks like it has some advanced functions and is not just s scanner.

dxterity 06-02-2016 05:46 AM

Has anyone tried/own this one? It's on amazon.ca and says it's iphone/ios compatible.

Panlong OBD2 OBDII WiFi Wireless Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader
https://www.amazon.ca/Panlong-Wireless-Diagnostic-Android-Symbian/dp/B00JQW9NCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464874844&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+reader

paulofto 06-02-2016 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dxterity (Post 498197)
Has anyone tried/own this one? It's on amazon.ca and says it's iphone/ios compatible.

Panlong OBD2 OBDII WiFi Wireless Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader
https://www.amazon.ca/Panlong-Wireless-Diagnostic-Android-Symbian/dp/B00JQW9NCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464874844&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+reader

Yes, I have one. I use it with Dashcommand and OBD Fusion on the very iPad I am now typing. Works well for general items and codes. Can only read bank 1 for timing so getting cam timing differences is not possible.

I paid about $30.00 CDN 2 years ago and the Apps are free so beggars can't be choosers.

hoyabob2003 06-02-2016 11:16 AM

I'd think twice before purchasing a POR-II if you have a 2004 or newer vehicle.

I purchased a POR-II thinking it would be great due to all the advanced functionality.

The documentation they provide is very misleading and you really have to dig down deep into it to find out that the POR-II does not reset airbag lights, communicate with the ABS system or the airbag system on any 986 later than 2003. I purchased it to reset an airbag light on my 2004 S and after much back and forth with the manufacturer and lots of wasted time (at one point even telling me that my vehicle's ECU must be damaged), they finally admitted this fact, told me that I should have found it all in the online documentation and that therefore, no they won't take it back. The support guy I was working with told me that the POR-II doesn't communicate with the ABS or Airbag system on any Porsche vehicle later than 2003, "because it's a proprietary system and we didn't buy the rights to it from Porsche," but I've only got experience with the 986 platform, so I can't say from personal experience whether or not that's the case.

I purchased a durametric and it worked just fine and communicated with all systems. I wish I would have just spent the extra $$ from the beginning.

I know you're looking at other options, but the poster above said he was looking at a POR-II and I wanted to let him know its limitations.

stelan 06-02-2016 11:26 AM

Can someone verify that PORII will reset air bag lights on a pre-2004?

NewArt 06-02-2016 02:26 PM

I use my Durametric on an old netbook which is only used for this purpose. I have several old laptops kicking around gathering dust and I am sure you know someone who will give you an old clunker that only needs to run Windows 7 . Install the Durametric program and nothing else and Bob's your uncle !

alynch 06-02-2016 05:00 PM

Durametric on Mac

I recently purchased the Enthusiast version of the Durametric. I run a Windows 7 virtual machine with VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro and the Durametric software runs without any problems.

Mig 06-02-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoyabob2003 (Post 498221)
I'd think twice before purchasing a POR-II if you have a 2004 or newer vehicle.

I purchased a POR-II thinking it would be great due to all the advanced functionality.

The documentation they provide is very misleading and you really have to dig down deep into it to find out that the POR-II does not reset airbag lights, communicate with the ABS system or the airbag system on any 986 later than 2003. I purchased it to reset an airbag light on my 2004 S and after much back and forth with the manufacturer and lots of wasted time (at one point even telling me that my vehicle's ECU must be damaged), they finally admitted this fact, told me that I should have found it all in the online documentation and that therefore, no they won't take it back. The support guy I was working with told me that the POR-II doesn't communicate with the ABS or Airbag system on any Porsche vehicle later than 2003, "because it's a proprietary system and we didn't buy the rights to it from Porsche," but I've only got experience with the 986 platform, so I can't say from personal experience whether or not that's the case.

I purchased a durametric and it worked just fine and communicated with all systems. I wish I would have just spent the extra $$ from the beginning.

I know you're looking at other options, but the poster above said he was looking at a POR-II and I wanted to let him know its limitations.

Thanks for letting me know. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll spend the extra money and get the Durametric.

nieuwhzn 06-02-2016 09:23 PM

Elm 327 with Bluetooth and Torque Pro on an Android phone. Does the basic OBD II stuff.

stelan 06-03-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelan (Post 498222)
Can someone verify that PORII will reset air bag lights on a pre-2004?

anyone knows?