Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Rear Window in Bay Area? Best shop?

Looking for a shop to do the rear window on my '01 boxster, Top is in good shape, just gotta get the rear window replaced. Anyone have a shop that knows what there doing / have had there's done in the SF bay area? Costy? info greatly appreciated.

SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Heyer Performance in Mountain View has a guy that comes and sews in a new plastic window. I believe they charged $500-$600 for it. You can call them and see if they still do it.

Heyer Performance | Parts and Service for your Porsche Automobil
leafdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

I'll give them a call. T/Y
Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 AM   #4

500-600 yikes!

If your going to spend that much then just a couple hundred more and you can get a used 03-04 top with a glass heated rear window and have the thing installed in an hour with the 4 bolts.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
500-600 yikes!

If your going to spend that much then just a couple hundred more and you can get a used 03-04 top with a glass heated rear window and have the thing installed in an hour with the 4 bolts.
Are the 03/04 tops 'drop in' no mod? If i find one, can i just swap it over?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

I had one sewed in for $500.00 just over a year ago. Still looks great and no leak. Flintworks in Campbell recommended the shop to me. I can't remember the name of the shop. While you're talking to Alden at Flintworks you can ask him about LN IMS. He did mine as well.

As fir the top you will end up paying $500+ for a new top but labor will cost you more than that. One thing to pay attention to. Buy one that is guaranteed to fit as this will cover the cost to remove and reinstall a new top if the unknown brand doesn't fit. I was advised of this when I wanted to install a new one.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
As fir the top you will end up paying $500+ for a new top but labor will cost you more than that. One thing to pay attention to. Buy one that is guaranteed to fit as this will cover the cost to remove and reinstall a new top if the unknown brand doesn't fit. I was advised of this when I wanted to install a new one.
What I'm hearing i think, is that if i can find a top from a 2003/4 with the full frame, it may be just a bolt on, trying to verify that. The other option i was quoted at 1085 OTD.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSSS View Post
Are the 03/04 tops 'drop in' no mod? If i find one, can i just swap it over?
What year/model is your Boxster?

The 03/04 top is a drop in fit on my 2001. I think with certain early years there may have been more work involved.

There are only 4 bolts holding the top in place.
You simply remove them, pull out the old top, put the new one in place, tighten the 4 bolts slightly, adjust the alignment a bit and tighten them down. Then plugin the window heater cable to the existing connector and your done.

Took no more than 90 minutes including removing the old top, aligning, plugging in the defroster cable etc.

Here is the detail info i used, it will tell you what you need to know.
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 06-02-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
What year/model is your Boxster?

The 03/04 top is a drop in fit on my 2001. I think with certain early years there may have been more work involved.

There are only 4 bolts holding the top in place.
You simply remove them, pull out the old top, put the new one in place, tighten the 4 bolts slightly, adjust the alignment a bit and tighten them down. Then plugin the window heater cable to the existing connector and your done.

Took no more than 90 minutes including removing the old top, aligning, plugging in the defroster cable etc.

Here is the detail info i used, it will tell you what you need to know.
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

This was my question, there was a top i located already from an '04. I have a '01 like yours, simple drop in plug and play?, no dirty mods?, say Yea!..
Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

Yes, you have the right year for the Plug and Play....well 4 bolts and the defroster plug really.

No messing around required. Just install and go for a drive.

So easy your neighbors kid could do it.

You will love having a glass window. No plastic window distortion, No boxster chop to help fold the top when its going down. Clear rear view on cool damp mornings.

Your biggest problem will be figuring out what to do with your old top. Mine is still sitting in the corner of the garage. It does not seem to have much value, maybe $150, but apart from the plastic window its in great shape so I couldn't just throw it out.

Then I had an idea. Convert the old top into a Spyder style top. All the hardware is there, just need to modify the rear fabric panel to a pleasing shape and create some rear attach points, perhaps web straps that comes from the Trunk area so you can tuck them away when using your regular top.

Last edited by jb92563; 06-03-2016 at 11:48 AM.