Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Another audio question

I want to take a staged approach (i.e. my wife wants me to take a staged approach) to upgrading my 2004 HiFi stereo system. I would like to put in a double din headunit first, bypassing the amp in the frunk. I know it is not ideal but can I connect the internal amp to the stock speakers? Second upgrade would be to replace stock speakers down the road. I may never replace the amp depending on the performance of the headunit's internal amp.

Best,
Brad

keeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

I am doing the same thing but in reverse. I just cahnged the dash speakers to some blaupunkts, made a big difference. The other thing i did was change my 4 channel m490 amp to a 6 channel 996 cabrio amp, now that made a big difference and pretty much plug and play. Next is the rear speaker kit.
That is the apprach i would take you will get a large improment just changing the speakers and its an easy job on the dash speakers. I am sure some others will chim in, with more experience.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Yes change dash speakers first or at least at the same time as replacing head unit. About as simple as you can get and probably under $100 in cost. By far best bang for your buck as the originals are total crap paper and you might be disappointed with a new head unit with the crappy speakers. I did alpines using the existing speaker baskets about a month ago. So much better. My guess is you can bypass the amp just need to hook into the speaker wires in the frunk. I also bought the rear speaker kit (Suncoast) haven't installed that yet but soon hopefully. I have the Suncoast double din trim kit from the previous owner but am on the fence about undertaking replacing that mainly because I have and 03 which, like yours, has the MOST system. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

My problem is my stereo is not currently producing any sound. The head unit lights up but no sound.

I can either double din the head unit and hook the stock speakers up and have ****************ty sound or I can replace the stock amp and still have ****************ty sound.

I would like to double din the head unit, bypass the amp, and wire up the stock speakers. When the wife's purse strings open I will replace the stock speakers.

Will this work?

Best,
Brad
keeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeters View Post
My problem is my stereo is not currently producing any sound. The head unit lights up but no sound.

I can either double din the head unit and hook the stock speakers up and have ****************ty sound or I can replace the stock amp and still have ****************ty sound.

I would like to double din the head unit, bypass the amp, and wire up the stock speakers. When the wife's purse strings open I will replace the stock speakers.

Will this work?

Best,
Brad
yes, actually bypassing the stock amp is where you are going to get the most benefit, any double din or any head unit has more power by itself than the 4x25 nokia POS amplifier, now if your stock speakers are toast you will finish killing them with the headunit and then you can explain the wife that is now a life and death situation to get new ones.
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

I forgot, you will need a capacitor or crossover (there are some very affordable ones) installed in-line to the door speakers as you don't want any mid-range/ high-range sound going to those as those are bass only speakers (low-range) as the stock amplifier has the built in crossover
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Must use component speakers with cross over, for better sound and more power handling,4x100rms using a 4 channel amp /cross over integrated to cut the low bass on the amp for the sound, Add a Mono amp 1 ohm stable (best)the RMS power of the amp matching the subwoofer power by 75% for the amp, keeping a 25% security power for the sub, same for the sound amp and component speakers, A good balance sound system can drive at maximum level without distortion and burn.
4 gauge power kit, condenser 1.5 farad ( save your alternator life)
25 years car audio distributor and installer Jean-Philippe enjoy the music guy !

Last edited by jeanphilippe64; 05-25-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: error
jeanphilippe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
Yes change dash speakers first or at least at the same time as replacing head unit. About as simple as you can get and probably under $100 in cost. By far best bang for your buck as the originals are total crap paper and you might be disappointed with a new head unit with the crappy speakers. I did alpines using the existing speaker baskets about a month ago. So much better. My guess is you can bypass the amp just need to hook into the speaker wires in the frunk. I also bought the rear speaker kit (Suncoast) haven't installed that yet but soon hopefully. I have the Suncoast double din trim kit from the previous owner but am on the fence about undertaking replacing that mainly because I have and 03 which, like yours, has the MOST system. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide!
I am like you on the fence about double din on one hand would like nav function built in but i like the stock retro look. HU definately getting changed, as i want hands free and streaming capability.

Correction on the HAES amp power unless there were other units the power is 4 x 40 watts not 25. The change to the 996 cabrio 6 x 40 watt amp was cheap and easy. You can actually hear some bass from the doors. Albeit not a. Super high system but it sounds excellent. In my opinion 6 x 40 watt in such a small space is plenty, if all you want is good decent sound. A small underseat sub would be nice though for a bit more bump.

Last change the speakers in the dash, seriously even some $30 pioneers will sound better than whats in there, until you can get something better.