986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New IMS and Clutch (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61703)

2000986s 05-20-2016 11:40 AM

New IMS and Clutch

Hey everyone,

I bought my 2000 Boxster S about a month ago. All I have done is put new wheels on it but now I want to replace the IMS bearings (recommended preventative maintenance) as well as throw in a ceramic clutch. I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate of how much parts+labor might cost, where to find these parts, and any other advice associated with this decision. Thanks!!

Mark_T 05-20-2016 11:53 AM

Covered many times. Do a search.

Tcar 05-20-2016 01:27 PM

Yes, there are probably 20 pages on this.

GatorLapis 05-20-2016 01:32 PM

just give the guy a price....

New IMS plus labor: 2000-3000

Clutch, resurface flywheel and new pressure plate & Labor:500-700 - Just go with OEM in my opinion.

dghii 05-20-2016 01:32 PM

$2-3k without needing to replace your flywheel.

DWBOX2000 05-20-2016 02:41 PM

Ims 1850
Clutch and flywheel 1100
Done a month ago Boston area.

Need_for_speed 05-20-2016 04:20 PM

2000986s, just did this myself, along with a long list of other upgrades. IMS plus clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, throw out bearing came to just over $3k. Make sure you do the rear main seal as well. No sense doing this otherwise. While you're at it, do the water pump. Water pumps fail with greater frequency than the IMS, and a shelled-out water pump will grenade your engine with the same gusto. And if you're going to replace the water pump, you might as well do the belt, thermostat, and idle pulleys as well, because they go around the same time.

If your installer does a proper pre-ims triage, they'll probably discover that your camshaft deviation values are out of limits as well, so you'll need to replace the chain tensioners and pads, and maybe even the chains themselves. And as long as you're at it, you might as well replace the AOS since it's really easy to get at it with the tranny out. And with the tranny out, you'll probably find the CV boots are bad.

And while you're in there, you'll probably find that the spark plug tubes are leaking, or about to, and you might as well replace the plugs while you're at it. By the way, I found my rear wheel bearings were shot, so you'll want to check those also.

So, welcome to the world of the 15 year old Boxster! It's hard to know where to stop, once you get started. With me, it was when I used the last check in the checkbook. But wow, when you're done, what a car.

glenf 05-20-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need_for_speed (Post 496734)
2000986s, just did this myself, along with a long list of other upgrades. IMS plus clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, throw out bearing came to just over $3k. Make sure you do the rear main seal as well. No sense doing this otherwise. While you're at it, do the water pump. Water pumps fail with greater frequency than the IMS, and a shelled-out water pump will grenade your engine with the same gusto. And if you're going to replace the water pump, you might as well do the belt, thermostat, and idle pulleys as well, because they go around the same time.

If your installer does a proper pre-ims triage, they'll probably discover that your camshaft deviation values are out of limits as well, so you'll need to replace the chain tensioners and pads, and maybe even the chains themselves. And as long as you're at it, you might as well replace the AOS since it's really easy to get at it with the tranny out. And with the tranny out, you'll probably find the CV boots are bad.

And while you're in there, you'll probably find that the spark plug tubes are leaking, or about to, and you might as well replace the plugs while you're at it. By the way, I found my rear wheel bearings were shot, so you'll want to check those also.

So, welcome to the world of the 15 year old Boxster! It's hard to know where to stop, once you get started. With me, it was when I used the last check in the checkbook. But wow, when you're done, what a car.

LOL.....love t

Boxy_02 05-21-2016 01:53 AM

$2,800 for IMS upgrade, RMS, and AOS.