Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #1

Boxster or Boxster S?

Im sure this has been asked before, but does the S perform that much better than the base? I drove my first Porsche ever the other day, and it was a 2002 boxster S that had several small issues, but drove fantastic. Ive since found a very good price on a 2002 base model that looks like new and only has 55k miles on it. There arent any base models around here to drive, so im stuck wondering if ill miss the extra 37hp by getting the base model. Also, it hasnt had the ims bearing replaced, and if i buy it, i will have to fly out and drive it 2000+ miles back home. I was advised by the shop nearest to me, that i shouldnt drive it home unless i get the ims bearing replaced. Just looking for some advice, considering im a complete noob to Porsche.

Joe

Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #2

Garage
Though not exactly the same situation as yours, this thread may help: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/52243-40k-budget-s-not-s.html

You probably should search the Forum on both your questions (S vs non S; IMSB).
Old 05-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #3

I would buy an S but would not be too hasty to buy the first or second you have seen or driven. There are lots out there.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 AM   #4

The first Boxster I ever drove was a 2003 base and fell in love with the Boxster immediately. I ended up buying a 2002 S with a Tiptronic so my wife can drive it. Yes I loved it even more than the base because Of the extra power but after a couple years of ownership something was missing and I wasn't satisfied. I needed a manual. I ended up buying a 2008 model with a 6 speed and this car had 303 hp. Ever since I owned this car I've never cared to drive.tbe other two cars again. I only drive them if I had to.
For me the extra power is always something I want and it's better to pay up front to get the S than paying later for the upgrades and the power you get from modifications will not be the same as getting the S up front.

also do a search this topic have been discussed many times. and please don't ask which oil is best later on."Search is your friend".

Cheers
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:58 AM   #5

Garage
Personally, if you have driven the S you will not want to buy or own a non-S. Its like owning a basic model car of any sort and then renting the same car with the top trim. Spend the extra coin and you will be so much happier in my view. Then again, go with whatever your budget handles and either way you will be happy you own one.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #6

Garage
Even just the addition of aluminum door handles makes the car feel more Porsche and less Audi.

However if you're okay with the rough interior of the 2.5 then the engine actually has a very nice classic feel and is easy to go flat out in without incriminating yourself.

Others may be power hungry but the S still gets you to speeds worth jail time in about any state at the top of third gear, which does not take much road or time to get to lol.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 AM   #7

Garage
The S means something for Porsche
The boxster has been held back but at least the S is a step in the right direction

And not drive 2000 miles without imsb replace???
I've driven 87000 miles
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #8

Woody (itsnotanova) did a good pictorial comparison of some of the parts. In the end, they are both great cars. There are a ton of them for sale out there. You may have to travel and drive it home, but that is part of the fun. Just be sure to get a PPI.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/53067-pictorial-differences-between-base-s-model-boxster.html

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #9

Drive them both. Some folks like the non s better. Can't go wrong either way.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

No question in my mind. S all the way. "I wish I'd bought the slower Porsche" said no one EVER.

Plus, they sell far faster than base models when you're ready to get rid of it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #11

This is a topic that has been covered a number of times - use the search function and you will be in information heaven.

Same with the whole 2000 mile IMS issue.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

I was shopping for an S, but then found a highly-optioned, low mileage base model that ticked all the right boxes for me. It's fantastic!
Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
Known Gearhead

Garage
Hello, Snipershot and welcome to the forum.

I just went through this process myself over the past couple of months. I ended up with a 2004 S. This "new" car replaces a 1995 Miata that was supercharged and lowered on a track-ready setup. To me, it seemed the base Boxster was only slightly faster than the Miata up to 100 MPH and did not handle as sharply. The S model handles about the same as the Miata (but leans more), is more composed on bad pavement, and is significantly faster to 100. I can't speak to anything over 100 since I don't go there. (My license still has speeding points on it.)

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 05-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

Garage
Recently bought an 03 S with 72k mi super maintained but has road rash. Best handling car I ever owned and I have had 85 cars. I still have a Ruf BTR c4, a 73 rs hot rod and an 08 Z06 vette and the Boxster still handles better then all of them.

I just went through this process myself over the past couple of months. I ended up with a 2004 S. This "new" car replaces a 1995 Miata that was supercharged and lowered on a track-ready setup. To me, it seemed the base Boxster was only slightly faster than the Miata up to 100 MPH and did not handle as sharply. The S model handles about the same as the Miata (but leans more), is more composed on bad pavement, and is significantly faster to 100. I can't speak to anything over 100 since I don't go there. (My license still has speeding points on it.)

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers,

Dave[/QUOTE]
Rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #15

Well, ive found a couple S cars that have me ready to buy. One is a 2000 boxster s with 72k miles thats already had the imsb replaced. I am gonna talk to the guy and try to work out a time to go get it. I may soon be seeing my lifelong dream of owning a Porsche come true!
Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #16

I've regretted not getting an "S' for going on 7 years now. And I've never even driven an S.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #17

Snipershot - welcome to the forum!

I've had my 01S for four years and prefer it over the base. When I was researching the Boxster back in 2012, several auto mag reviews stated the 5-speed in the base wasn't as good for long distance cruising at 65 or higher. If I were looking to get a newer Boxster that has the 6-speed in the base, I would it. But there's never a rush to get any vehicle. Take your time ad hold out for the car that has what you want; don't settle for a car that is lacking anything you think is important.

As Chuck W. mentioned, try to get a PPI, but I wouldn't worry about getting the IMS replaced for the drive home. I bought mine on e-bay kind of by accident from a private party, so I didn't even have a PPI. But I drove it from Chico, CA to Milwaukee in three days with a grin on my face the whole way and not a worry in my mind.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #18

If you're looking at a 14 year old car, forget the badges and buy on condition only. If you can find a really good S, then great but don't turn down a well spec'ed and well cared for 2.7 just to get an S that may be a money pit.

I've been really lucky in finding a really great car that has barely cost me anything in 5 years of ownership. For peace of mind I had the IMS bearing replaced which is my only major expenditure.

My friend has a 2002 S and to his frustration, I have always kept up. Don't believe the hype, they are all quick.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #19

Also you must remember the grief you will be caused by not buying an S model.
About a month after getting my 99 Base I started to noticed a change. First I ignored it. My voice got higher but very little at first. Then my penis started to shrivel. Then couldn't get it up at all let alone find it it got so small. It is almost unbearable. But I managed to get through the day. I was about to go see a priest, but that would just bring up bad memories. I've tried painting my brake callipers red and putting an S on the trunk. That didn't change anything, so back to stock. I am woken up some nights by Miata owners driving by laughing and pointing. The horror . . . the horror.
So think twice about purchasing a base model. You just don't need the grief.

G
GaryMulcahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
If you're looking at a 14 year old car, forget the badges and buy on condition only.....
I think there maybe a Wee bit more going on then just badges for the 'S'

But you make a good point especially since for the majority of driving, one probably would not be able to take advantage of the extra performance the 'S' might have

As many have said before me, drive both. It's the only way to personally figure it out.
Or
Just buy an 'S' and there won't be any regrets, questions or second guessing.
I have never in the 4 years of ownership ever thought "Maybe I should have gotten the Base instead"