986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1999 Porsche Boxster Info. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61682)

surfaripals 05-19-2016 05:59 AM

1999 Porsche Boxster Info.

Hey, everybody!

I'm a rookie 1999 Porsche Boxster owner. I have a customized Wicked Widebody and I need your help. I'll begin with each issue and await responses from all of you professional car owners.

First, I wanted to address the nasty old radio. Anybody replaced theirs with an awesome sound system? If so, where did you put the subwoofer, etc. Looking for recommendations on that end.

Secondly, I wanted to address the dated looking CD tray. Has anyone replaced that with some cool looking gauges or any other option?

Thanks, and feel free to comment on either one or both.

Surf's Up!

-Kip
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1463666203.jpg

rick3000 05-19-2016 06:36 AM

The search feature on this forum will turn up a lot of results that should help answer your questions.

A lot of people upgrade the sound system, however subwoofer locations tend to vary because it is depends on how much space you are willing to give up. Normally under or or behind the passenger seat, in the passenger footwell, or above the engine. The CD tray can be replaced with another shelf, or a custom gauge install. Which ever option you choose, you will have to custom paint to match. It looks like a previous owner had the dash painted guards red, it could also be a factory option. :cheers:

stelan 05-19-2016 06:55 AM

I moved the climate control down to the cd tray location and installed a tablet up top, many have done it, try searching there are some good diy's

imon_2nd 05-19-2016 07:55 AM

Hello, Kip, and welcome to the Forum.

The audio in the Boxster I bought last month was awful so I had a local audio pro rebuild the whole thing using a new 1,000 Watt amp. (BTW, I'm an engineer and a 30-year member of the Audio Engineering Society.) Some of the speakers could be reused, some couldn't. The new system keeps all of the original speaker grills and locations, except for a 4-speaker array of high mid-range frequency speakers in what was a small storage area at ear level behind and between the seats.

The factory door speakers, which provide the bass were only 4-inch diameter. That's too small to work as a bass driver (20 - 250 Hz). Those were replaced with 5-inch drivers specifically designed for low frequency use. I'd prefer larger bass drivers, but the factory enclosures are too small for 'em.

I'm pleased with the revised system. It's good for Classical, Jazz, Folk and Rock. If you like Rap or House Mix, you'll need a single 8 or 10-inch sub-woofer. I'd remove the spare tire from the frunk and mount it there with its own amp and low-pass filter.

Cheers,

Dave

tommy583 05-19-2016 09:25 AM

The sub won't work in the trunk. It's been tried before and the sound doesn't get through the bulkhead.

imon_2nd 05-19-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 496540)
The sub won't work in the trunk. It's been tried before and the sound doesn't get through the bulkhead.

Carpet and insulation will have to be removed. Then, there's just a piece of bare sheet metal between the sub and the cabin. Low frequencies aren't easily stopped. A decent sub will penetrate a 2 by 4 stud wall with half-inch plaster board on each side.

paulofto 05-19-2016 12:09 PM

There have been several threads regarding a frunk mounted sub and all of them were epic failures. Guys spent moocho bucks and all the installs sounded like s#it. The frunk is very well sealed and and air movement stays within the frunk. Lots of thump and noisy vibration but very little true bass. But maybe some people with bad ears like that. Personally I like the Bose set up my car came with including the rear tray set up. Properly using the volume, bass and treble controls produces pleasing if not arena loud sound.

imon_2nd 05-19-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 496561)
There have been several threads regarding a frunk mounted sub and all of them were epic failures. Guys spent moocho bucks and all the installs sounded like s#it. The frunk is very well sealed and and air movement stays within the frunk. Lots of thump and noisy vibration but very little true bass. But maybe some people with bad ears like that. Personally I like the Bose set up my car came with including the rear tray set up. Properly using the volume, bass and treble controls produces pleasing if not arena loud sound.

Yes, the space behind the sub must be vented so the diaphragm can move freely without reverse pressure waves f**king it up. The size of the vent will depend on the size of the sub and its maximum coil excursion. A couple of 3" diameter vents will probably be sufficient for a 10" sub. BTW, a sub is NOT really for bass. It's for near-subsonic and subsonic audio, which includes "thumping." Smooth bass can be achieved with drivers as small as 5 inches. Getting the crossover network to make a good transition from subsonic to actual bass can be tricky. Done badly, it does sound awful.