Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 02:43 AM   #1

Just bought my first Porsche

Hi Chaps

Just bought a 2000 speed yellow 986 S with 95K. It has full service history. Has had a new clutch fitted at 65k and new blue hood fitted.

First impressions: Not as easy to drive as our family car (2012 Passat)

Clutch is quite heavy and everything has a weighted feel. Bought if from an elderly chaps who has had 4 911's and then this. He asked me if Id had a porsche before and warned me that they don't drive themselves, he added that it will take a bit of getting used to but the more you drive it the more you will want to drive.

Is this the case

PS it goes like a scolded earwig.

Needs 2 jobs doing. Passenger window squeaks despite me spraying WD 40 down the door. Starter bendix sometimes sticks for a second making an embarrassing noise lol. Are these easy fix

Sorry meant to ask should I nodding to oncoming Porsche drivers?

Peter

Last edited by YellowS2000; 06-20-2016 at 03:14 AM.
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:40 AM   #2

Hello Peter,

welcome from Germany.

Well everybody says it's a girls or hairdressers car until they drove it.

You get great response from the car and yes the clutch is not a VW Passat girlie clutch. It's a drivers car.

Don't put WD40 on rubber!

Have fun with your new toy.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 AM   #3

Thanks Marcus
I didn't put it on the rubber, pushed the red tube from the WD40 past the window seals than gave it a good spray. i think my next job will be to pop of the door panel and see what i can lubricate in there.

Probably the people that say they are for girls or hairdresser have never driven one.

Its funny getting back in the Passat after driving the boxster as I nearly put the clutch pedal through the floor and the steering feels very very woolly. Id never noticed that till Id driven the porsche
Old 06-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Project Addicted

There are silicone sprays for windows and the tracks, don't use WD. The window regulators are a real known flaw and stretch out and need to be replaced. If the windows don't drop properly when you put the top down is a clue that they have stretched.

The starter issue could be the ignition switch hanging up. Another know weakness for the Boxster.

Have fun and drive it hard.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Thanks Jon
Windows drop fine. For a 45 yo I drive like a granny. In my Fast Ford days i ended up banned 3 times for road racing. I was 19 at the time tho lol.

Since then I stick to the speed limit. Seems silly to buy a Porsche I can here people say lol. Its just something I always fancied and if I'm honest looking at it give me as much a thrill as driving it.

The only downside is you cant look at it whilst your driving it lol.

Peter